Farscape First time watch thread....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Distorted Humor, Jun 16, 2011.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The whole "Tormented Space" thing is kind of weird. I feel like it was dropped almost immediately after they introduced it. There's nothing about Tormented Space that is all that different from the Uncharted Territories.

"Twice Shy" is another pretty typical Farscapey standalone episode, but I like it. It has some pretty awesome stuff happen right at the end. After this, it's right into the final arc of the show!

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

After a crummy Titans loss came home to watch the last 3 episodes on the current disc.

Twice Shy - or as I think of it, Spider in Space was an interesting stand alone episode. We are back in Tormented Space buying maps but outside the name I still didn't get a feeling for what's so "tormented" about Tormented Space. So far in TS we've had a planet based show and now a ship based show. I want actual space to look/act really frelled up. The episode itself was alright. Ro what part near the end did you like best, the part where Sikozu is making a pact with Scorpius OR the part where John reveals to Aeryn how Scorpius is spying on them via the comm channels?

Mental As Anything - I really liked this episode. For the sole reason it comes back around to one of our key characters issues, the murder of his wife. I like Dargo and this episode that allowed him to confront the truth's of what happened and come to peace with it were I thought great. I also like how when he's asked why he didn't kill his "brother-in-law" he stated that "being trapped in the machine reliving it over and over is more torment. Death would have been merciful" ergo, Dargo granted no mercy. Great character moment imo.

Bringing Home the Beacon - Coming back around to our interstellar dealings with Peacekeepers and Scarrans while also harkening back to the, I assume, DNA tracker that is on to Crichton. I'm guessing that's still in play despite the Aeryn doppelganger at the end of the episode. So we have a decoy beacon now, I wonder how long that's going to last and work effectively. By my count there are 6 episodes to go in season 4. It may sound silly but I have a hard time taking Grayza seriously. A military commander walking around with half her chest exposed, yeah I know she uses her sweat as a control but still. Then her with Braca it just reminds me of the two losers trying to control the Police Academy in those 80's films. But really the key take away from this episode going into the home stretch is that Aeyrn has been captured and in Scarran custody. No doubt as an attempt to lure John and his wormhole knowledge to them?

I'm in the final stretch now of finishing out Season 4 but with 6 episodes to go I'll have to wait most likely to next weekend to finish but it should be a good final push, right?

3. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

There are three words that sum up the final arc for me:

"Isn't it fun?!"

:D

4. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Not my fault!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The creature which was tracking Crichton's DNA was killed in "Terra Firma" on Earth.

6. Captain Craig

Right, I thought being linked with Braca might have left some residual ability with him. Guess I read that wrong.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The latter, or should I say, the very end of the latter, when John and Aeryn lie and say that their relationship is over, all the while smiling and making out. :p

I just got so excited for them, that after weeks and weeks of John snorting bug juice and generally acting like a douche, they finally got back together!

8. Captain Craig

^^^
    I was hoping it was that part, I liked that part as well also.

The next to last disc has 2 episodes so it felt like an easier thing to watch them and then just have the last 4 episodes for the weekend.

A Constellation of Doubt - I don't know what I thought this episode might be but it wasn't a recap of Terra Firma. It told the events in a different "Bobby-vision" style narrative and utilizing the TV program as a way for us to reflect on what is human and what is alien and where do the two meet in the middle. I really had trouble seeing how it was going to tie John into where the Scarran base Katrazi(sp) would be.

Prayer - TOP NOTCH, loved this episode, again because it was so focused on Aeryn. Not to unlike why I really liked Mental As Anything with Dargo. Of course Crichton teaming with Scorpy in a weird blood brothers type bodily fluid exchange felt a big creepy. Then traveling to alternate Moya with "blender" crew mates as John phrased it. The way the episode ended with Aeryn killing that planted prisoner was just pure awesome.

Ok, so I now have 4 episodes to go and it appears we are now headed for this Scarran base Katrazi(sp). I notice it's a 3-parter coming up and then a solo episode to end out the season. I'm having a sense of DeJuVu to season two's end with the Repository and Liars, Guns, Money as the framework for the finale. Just an observation, cause the show is rocking and I'm hoping for a stellar last 4 episodes.
    Question: Does the show end with an ending or is it a setup for the PeaceKeeper Wars mini? Did they know they were getting the mini when I watch this last episode next weekend?

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:rommie: :devil:

The show got canceled. They were planning for there to be a Season 5. They had no idea that there would be a miniseries. It didn't even get made until two years later.

So yeah...when "Bad Timing" is over, try imaging that it's the end of Farscape. See how that makes you feel.

10. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

Bad Timing, indeed.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, that was an incredibly cruel Cliff Hanging Series Finale, thank God we finally got the Peacekeeper Wars to resolve it, it was a painful couple years checking everyday to see if there had been some kind of reprieve for the cancellation.

12. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

If PKW didnt exist, I would tell people new to Farscape to never watch the last two minutes of that episode, for their own mental well-being.

13. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly love the ending of "Bad Timing" on its own. I'm glad that we got the Peacekeeper Wars, but I would be weirdly satisfied with how that ends.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one, though.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's oddly fitting, but I'm grateful we got the miniseries. I still think it's a shame we didn't get a full fifth season, though.

15. Captain Craig

^^^
    What's funny, kinda sorta, is that for the years I've seen you post Harvey I just thought maybe that was your name. Not to unlike the 'Craig' in Captain Craig. To me your avatar was just Scorpius who I at least recognized.

Now having watched the series I get it.

So Bad Timing, when made, was a cliffhanger? Ouch! Not to unlike how nuV ended, still pissed ABC didn't renew that as it was really heating up despite a slow start.

I'm very eager to get into the last 4 episodes then PKW.

16. Kegg

Amen to that. I like Peacekeeeper Wars all in all and it's a good end to the series, but there's stuff in there that could have filled episodes or whole arcs, and that's not poking at the loose threads.

Anyway, weren't they even planning a sixth season?

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I thought it was all going to end with the fifth year (or, at least, they were going to wrap up everything going on up to that point). This is the first I've heard about a potential sixth season.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, SciFi Channel renewed it for S4 and S5 after S3, then tried to explain away that 2 Season renewal as S4 being 2 seasons. And, they did offer a half season to close out the Arc, which was turned down, but, even 10 episodes, instead of the 4 for Peacekeeper Wars would've been better than just the Mini-Series. But, definitely the Mini-Series was Millions of times better than stopping at the Cliff Hanger at the end of S4 :bolian:

19. Kegg

I think I read somewhere (here, most likely) that they had some arc ideas for a sixth season, that they were planning ahead more by the end of the fourth season than they had used to be in earlier years. But since it's my memory quoting a half-remembered other poster from god knows how many years ago it's not reliable.

20. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I need to get back to my farscape watching sometime....