Would you really leave in a Starship?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ZapBrannigan, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we suddenly had a real starship, able to travel as far and fast as the ones on TV, and with no relativity "time dilation" problems, would you volunteer for a multi-year mission?

You'd miss a lot of people and things back home, but you'd get out there and see the galaxy.

It's hard to say what I'd decide. On the one hand, yeah, let's blow this pop stand. But on the other hand, the solar systems you'd explore might all be lifeless. And if you did find life finally, it might be some mold and bacteria on a slimy planet with nothing much to offer.

And your life on a starship might be even more confining and limiting than the daily grind you have now. It might be like working in an office building you never get to step outside of.

But I think there'd be no shortage of volunteers.

2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

If somebody right now asked me to go out on a five-year mission in a starship, I'd say yes without a tenth-of-a-second's hesitation. I don't think there are many Trek fans who wouldn't.

I've never been to space, but I have been to sea (not for five years, mind you - the longest I've been out is nine months), and yes: living on a ship is confining, repetitive, and boring after a while. But it's also great fun from time to time, and the fun stuff is what you remember.

3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I might go for a limited time.

:scream: Although, with my luck it might turn out be similar to what happened in Alien.

4. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You can throw a few more "negatives" into the scenario, such as time dilation, one-way trip and no subspace communication, and I think I might still say yes. If shipboard cats are allowed (for the bone density thing mentioned in another forum), and I'd definitely say yes.

[​IMG]

(Ellie cloaked)

5. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'd love to go if I could bring my animals and my games and stuff to play in my off time. Provided of course that a decent percent of the crew is female...I'd hate to be stuck in a ship for years with mostly men.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sure, I'd go. I have no close friends or family, as all my friends were from work, and I've not worked in over ten years. Might have to take a pet along though. And I assume Starfleet would cover medical expenses, as I need my eyes and teeth fixed. But not sure what sort of shipboard job I'd be qualified to do. Resident grouch, I suppose. When I was about 4, there was some mean old man on our block who used to holler at us kids when we walked on the sidewalk in front of his house. Now, 58 years later, I seem to be turning into that guy. :lol:

7. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I think my only source of hesitation would be my dog. He probably won't last five years, so I'd have some trouble leaving knowing that I'll never see him again. If pets are allowed, then hell yeah. Everyone else I know or care about will last five years.

8. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I'd go this second and never look back to the fracking earth, good riddens.

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I'd serve aboard a starship without hesitation. It would be the adventure of a lifetime. Wth all the gajillions of stars with planetary systems out there, you'd be almost certain to encounter some interesting life forms. Or maybe Wrigley's Pleasure Planet or the amusement park planet from "Shore Leave."

You got something against men?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m-xZ4gz4MM[/yt]

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I would volunteer. No clue what I'd do though, as I'm not a scientist or an engineer. Might be stuck in the galley, but it'd be worth getting out on my current deadend job (at least on a starship I'd get to see wonderous things).

Plus, I wouldn't mind being surrounded by lots of men :drool:

11. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I probably wouldn't meet the scientific and technical requirements to serve on a star ship, so no.

12. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I'd go even if I had to work in the galley or scrub plasma manifolds.

I don't really think anything on a 23rd-century starship is that difficult to do by 20th century standards. They've gotten used to soft living.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

As long as I didn't have to wear a red shirt I would go! ;)

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd definitely go. Too many pros to outweigh the cons in my book.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

In a heartbeat.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Mostly men? I'm there.

:)

18. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

If given the choice, you bet. I'd miss my family and friends... but I'm not married and not in a serious relationship right now. Yeah, I would do it.

It's a fantasy, dude! You're being offered the chance, so just take it. Besides, think of the training possibilities--you could learn a boat load and work your way up. ;)

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

If the only position open was alien toilet scrubber, I would still go in a nanosecond!:techman: Sign me up!!:bolian:

20. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

:rommie::rofl::guffaw:

You could be Odo's or Worf's friend!