THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I was busy all weekend, so I only got to see the movie tonight (in 2D; hooray!).

I'd give it an A-. Not in the same league as Iron Man, but better than The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2.

The movie did a much better job of incorporating foreshadowing for The Avengers than Iron Man 2 did; SHIELD's presence around the hammer works fine, and the after-credits scene is actually substantial.

Hemsworth was great as the lead, and the other actors were generally strong, if often with not a lot to actually do. If I had to guess, I'd say that the sequel will probably do more with Sif, in particular.

The rendering of Thor's powers was great; the next Superman movie should aspire to that sort of stuff.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I immediately thought of "Man of Steel" when I saw Thor fly. I thought the flying sequences were handled really well.

3. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    Ya'all make a person feel old.... H.S. was 75-77 and I dont remember if I learned what I know of Norse Mythology after I got out or while I was still in H.S.

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

plan to see it this wensday looking forward to it. I may see it in 3d don't know yet.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

We weren't taught any kind of world mythology in the public schools (I grew up near Washington, DC). That kind of stuff just wasn't on the curriculum in the 1950s and 1960s, and any Christian religious instruction ceased when I was in second grade.

What I knew about ancients myths was from books in the school library (both the school and county public libraries in this area were very good). I read a lot of Greek mythology and maybe one book of Norse myths.

6. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

In the late 1980s and early '90s, my high school (or any other public schools at the time) didn't cover mythology. If it did, it would've been an elective course, but I was always interested in mythology and therefore read various books at the local library.

7. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

the bolded part isn't true unless you are specifically talking about your own school district and no others.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The actuals show that Thor and Fast Five were both overestimated, but only by small amounts - Thor comes in at 65.7.

On the one hand, Thor's take is "inflated" relative to films of a few years ago by the 3D/IMAX premium price - attendance was less than, say Fantastic Four. On the other hand, many of the all-time highest opening films ahead of Thor on the list opened on long holiday weekends and Thor did not have that advantage.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

For folks wondering, the real point of change in Thor was when he found he couldn't lift his hammer anymore and Loki told him that Odin had died/he couldn't come home.

It finally all began to sink in just what his reckless arrogant warmongering had done to him and his loved ones, and they would all have to live with the consequences for the rest of their lives. THAT was when he finally realized "I have to start acting differently and not strut around doing whatever I want. That's what destroyed everything for everyone to begin with."

Of course, half of that was caused by Loki's lies, but then again the events of the movie wouldn't have happened if not for his harmless prank.

10. Admiral_Young

^ Who was wondering about that? I think that was one of the most poignant and obvious scenes in the movie.

11. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't possibly speak for the rest of America, but yes, I was referring to the school district in MY area at the time.

12. Admiral_Young

I didn't mean to pick on Trekker about the mythology thing, I just found it curious that he would decide to bash the names as he did.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just reading through IGN's "6 Things We Want Thor 2", and they mention wanting to see Beta Ray Bill, Balder, and Valkyrie, who appear to be very big parts of Thor's mythology. So I was wondering, does anyone have any ideas about who should play them if they were to appear in a future story? TBH I was rather shocked Balder wasn't at least mentioned in the movie, because from what I've read he seems to be just as big a part of the mythology as Sif, The Warriors Three, and Heimdall.

14. Admiral_Young

I'd actually love to see Valkyrie and the Enchantress as well. As for who could play Valkyrie, I wouldn't mind seeing Yvonne Strahovski in the role.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Surtur! Specifically, Walter Simonson's Surtur arc.

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Thor turned into a frog.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They actually mentioned Surtur and the Enchantress as possible future villains too.
    I just realized I forgot to link to the article in case you guys wanted to check it out. Here it is.

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i thought it was sufficiently explained why we should give a shit about Asgard. Odin's LOTR-esque narration at teh start tells you the Frost Giants wanted to take over the Nine Realms and that the Asgardians stood against the Frost Giants with humans.

and when Thor's telling Jane about the Nine Realms, he specifically says 'here's Midgard, Earth,' so clearly Trekker wasn't paying attention. and it's not the movie's fault.

my knowledge of Norse myth is skimpy, i was more into the Greco-Roman stuff and i read most of that myself from my parents' encyclopaedias.

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know THOR was a founding member of the AVENGERS. But I was wondering will they do a HERCULES movie as well since he was a member as well.

20. Admiral_Young

They will most likely not be doing a Hercules movie. What a random character to suggest a solo film for as well.