What is your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Aug 11, 2010.

?

Your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie?

1. Praying with Anger (1992)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wide Awake (1998)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Sixth Sense (1999)

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Ubreakable (2000)

25 vote(s)
    35.2%
  5. Signs (2002)

13 vote(s)
    18.3%
  6. The Village (2004)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Lady in the Water (2006)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. The Happening (2008)

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. The Last Airbender (2010)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chances are this will be another lopsided poll with only two of his movies getting the majority of votes. After The Sixth Sense came out he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now people laugh when they see his name listed in a movie trailer. But The Last Airbender still made a ton of money despite being his worst-reviewed movie (maybe being adapted from another source had something to do with it), so he won't be falling off the face of the earth anytime soon.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The Sixth Sense

I will give shout outs to Unbreakable (which you spelled without the "n" in the poll) and Signs. I didn't see the movies before "Sense" and it's been downhill since Signs.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^This. Sixth Sense was a very well made film. Unbreakable was fun, and over the top, but it at least fit with the whole idea of the film. Signs was very heavy-handed, but had some good qualities to balance it out.

After that, it was a steady slide in the crapper. Yes, there were good things about The Village (great looking) and Lady in the Water (Paul Giamatti), but the bad outweighed the good.

By the time I saw The Happening (hubby's idea), I was actually downright annoyed at the director, and just wanted to reach through the screen to slap the hell out of the person who put it together.

4. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unbreakable is one of my all-time favorite films.

5. joVuNik

joVuNik Lieutenant Red Shirt

^ Mine too, wicked movie

6. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for "Unbreakable". "The Sixth Sense" used to be my favorite, and it's still really close for me between the two. But for some reason I find myself thinking about "Unbreakable" more and watching it more. It's by no means perfect, I think, but I just love the atmosphere and the way he builds the two main characters. In any case, I think they're both great movies.

I also enjoyed "Signs" quite a bit as well as "The Village" (though to a lesser extent). I recently saw "The Happening" and seriously asked myself if it was actually from the same film maker. I have no clue what he was thinking when he made that one, to be honest.

I haven't seen any of the others nor am I particularly interested, to be honest. I just don't find the stories and/or settings very appealing. I do really hope Shyamalan will one day make another movie like or as appealing as "The Sixth Sense" or "Unbreakable".

7. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

Pretty close call, but I went with Unbreakable since it is more re-watchable.

Loved Sixth Sense and re-watched it after I knew the ending just to look for more of the "clues" in the film, but haven't really cared to watch it again since.

8. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

Unbreakable gets my vote too. It's a tricky idea that could have ended up an embarassing disaster, but MNS managed to pull it off. It had some very powerful scenes.

SS is saved by the ending twist - it came as a nice surprise, after what had honestly become a pretty boring film in the last half hour or so.

Signs has some good, jumpy moments but shows the first signs that MNS's schtick was wearing a little thin. The Village was the first thoroughly bad film, with terrible, expository dialogue that has remained on his films since.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

His only movie that I truly enjoy is SIGNS. I didn't care for Sixth Sense. Unbreakable was boring. Village I actually kinda liked though the plot twist irks me. Lady in Water and Happening were hilariously bad. Last Airbender... a bastardization of my all time favorite animated series, but worth watching just because it is an adaptation of it.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"The Sixth Sense" is the only movie of his that I can stand, and I don't even particularly like it that much because the twist was ruined for me before I saw it.

11. golden11

golden11 Ensign Newbie

the six sense can't be surpassed.

12. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted 6th Sense, but it's really a photo finish with Unbreakable, & Signs follows suit just as exceptionally. I just think that 6th Sense pulled you into the characters a very slight amount more than the other two,

I too feel that things began going down hill after those ideal three. The following three seemed to worsen a bit more each time, imo

13. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

My favorite is The Happening, in a strange twist i'm actually lying. I've never seen the movie and actually like The Sixth Sense the most.

14. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I may be the only person on the planet but The Sixth Sense doesn't do it for me, it's quite a good movie and all but...that's it. On the other hand I love the atmosphere in The Village which is my choice, closely followed by Signs and Lady in the Water, Unbreakable comes fourth. (I know...Blasphemy! ;))

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So his two pre-Sense movies... were they released in theater?

16. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

I like Unbreakable best. The Sixth Sense is good, Signs is ok. The Village and The Happening are both bad. I haven't seen the others.

I think the main thing I don't like about them is the actors though. In The Village I didn't like William Hurt or Bryce Dallas Howard, and I didn't like Mark Wahlberg in The Happening.

17. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

Ditto. I hope he can find a way to work with Bruce Willis again.

18. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since I've only seen The 6th Sense that's my pick. :D

19. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

I'll say Unbreakable, simply because it's the most rewatchable.

Praying with Anger - Haven't seen it, no plans to.
    Wide Awake - Haven't seen it, no plans to.
    The Sixth Sense - Excellent. Close second to Unbreakable.
    Unbreakable - Excellent.
    Signs - By no means perfect, but still excellent.
    The Village - Haven't seen it, but would like to.
    Lady in the Water - Haven't seen it, but would like to.
    The Happening - Haven't seen it, no plans to (ever since I heard that the villian was literally "wind," I have no desire to see it)
    The Last Airbender - Haven't seen it, no plans to since I've heard it's complete and utter shit.

20. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted Unbreakable. Signs is probably second, with The Sixth Sense third, and The Village fourth. The only other one I've seen is Lady in the Water, which was dire, and I haven't bothered with any of the others.

Every once in a while a rumor will float around that M. Night & Bruce want to do a sequel to Unbreakable. I really hope they never manage it, because my love for the original would cause me to both need to see it and hate it for not being as good as the original. ;)