Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I agree with this. 100% We could just leave him for season 4 or 5.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So who thinks coleson is drawings at the the end are plans for ultron?

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Pretty much no one.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

:lol:

Yeah. Supposedly Stark designs Ultron, which annoys me enough. Poor Hank Pym.

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, Coulson's scribblings are probably Kree-inspired.

Betting that when he next "wakes up", Skye will point out the resemblance to the scribblings in that illicit lab from "Eye-Spy".

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting if they try to tie into anything with GotG/Kree-wise - particularly since the film premieres two months before season 2 of the show will.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm wondering why both Garrett and Coulson felt compelled to etch/carve the symbols rather than just drawing them.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I certainly did not get the impression that there was going to be a trial.

However, assuming there is, it would probably be the non-SHIELD charge of the two LA cops that wouldn't need any of SHIELD to testify. Certainly, prosecuting under the authority of SHIELD would be questionable at best.

9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Four. Gregg also plays him in Lego Marvel Super Heroes (which, Lego stylings aside, is strongly influenced by the MCU but not compatible with it).

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a hybrid of MCU and the Disney XD universes, it seems. (just like the LEGO license itself)

11. Christopher

Why would you say that? We know from CA:TWS that there were Congressional investigations into the whole HYDRA debacle, so it's not like this is some kind of ultra-black-ops stuff anymore. Okay, they did say that Ward would be interrogated and imprisoned, but I'd like to think the Constitution hasn't totally been thrown out the window, because that would mean HYDRA won.

A lot more than two. We just saw the two he shot out on the street after he'd dealt with the multiple cops in the diner off-camera.

Huh? SHIELD would've had no authority to prosecute a criminal case even in its heyday. Presumably it would be a matter for the Justice Department.

Ahh, okay. Interesting -- I wonder if he's the only Marvel character to appear on screen in multiple continuities yet be portrayed only by a single actor (not counting parodies, overseas dubs, etc.).

Well, I can think of one other: The character Stan Lee has always been played by Stan Lee. Although Lee has played various other characters such as Narrator, Willie Lumpkin, Hot Dog Vendor, Security Guard, Old Man at Fair, etc.

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Multiple aggravated assault counts re: his fight with the police in east Los Angeles. Possibly two attempted murder counts for the shootings we did see on-camera.

Add in conspiracy-murder for his role in Garrett's murder of that general. As to the other military officials illegally taken prisoner...six counts of kidnapping at least. Those surviving flag officers could testify to a hell of a lot. Not just against Ward, but Ian Quinn as well, once he's recaptured.

I think we have something for both Bob Ingersoll and the "Law and the Multiverse" blog to cover here, yes?

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why attempted? I guess I'd have to watch it again but it didn't seem to be in question.
    EDIT: Watched it again, I guess they were OK, shot in the arm and leg, interesting...

14. Alidar Jarok

That's why I said it. Coulson made it sound like he personally was going to hold onto him.

Can't argue with that, but SHIELD has been consistently shown to be not subject to US law. I'm having trouble believing that being declared a terrorist organization would help with that.

Well, we didn't see how he dealt with the others, so I didn't want to definitively count them as dead.

I see no reason to presume that. SHIELD was shown to be a jurisdiction unto itself. It's not part of the US government so not subject to the DOJ. And it definitely brought people into their custody (e.g., bringing them to the Fridge, sending Blizzard to the Sandbox, etc.). Perhaps there was no legal authority even when SHIELD was semi-sanctioned. I was giving it the benefit of the doubt.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or it operates in zones where there is no legal authority, or no legal authority with the stones to step up, or a legal authority that is willing to adjust to fit S.H.I.E.L.D.'s required criteria.

What's Castro's opinion (Yes, his brother Raul is in charge now, but Castro is still alive last I checked.) on the torture being done at Guantanamo Bay?

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

But Coulson's team are being treated as terrorists by the U.S. government, so who are they turning him over to without turning themselves in? Do they leave him tied up on the steps of the FBI building and hope to hell the feds know what to do with him?

In their current situation, they seem to have little choice but to hold onto him.

17. Christopher

I thought Ward was being taken away by soldiers. If Coulson and Skye talked about what "we" would do, I assume they meant the US government.

But there is no SHIELD. SHIELD at this point is six people, a plane, and a guy with lanyards. They don't have the resources to deal with Ward, and Ward has committed many crimes on US soil and against US police officers and military personnel.

You only mentioned a charge pertaining to the cops, without specifying murder. Assault is a charge too.

Okay, you're blurring two things here, prosecution and imprisonment. Clearly SHIELD imprisoned those people, but that doesn't mean they tried and sentenced them. It means they were holding them indefinitely as threats to national/global security. I don't think they prosecuted them at all. Not that I approve of that ethically, but I'm just saying, if the people in question were to be prosecuted, i.e. put on trial in a court of law, I don't think that would be the jurisdiction of a military/intelligence agency.

The situation's a little more nuanced than that. It's not as if every SHIELD agent has been thrown in jail -- we saw that wasn't the case with Black Widow and Maria Hill. Rather, they wanted everyone to come in for questioning and investigation. Coulson and his team evaded that because they had an imminent threat to deal with and couldn't afford to be out of action. Now that threat is resolved, and Coulson's team clearly saved the day, so I think that will count in their favor in the government's investigation.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Hayley Atwell answers some questions about Agent Carter and reveals that the first season order is for eight episodes:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiT0tvfvC6Q[/yt]

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

After hearing it was going to air between Agents of Shield I had wondered if it would have a short order.

20. Alidar Jarok

Well, we always knew it would have less than 22, but I'm surprised it's quite that low.