THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure where that's from, couldn't find any details about the assault in the Appendices or Unfinished Tales...?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't remember any mention of spiders or wargs, but we do know the White Council did attack Dol Guldur to drive the Necromancer/Sauron out. It wouldn't surprise me if PJ added the spiders and wargs in to spice things up a bit.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

No details of that sort are given in the appendices I'm looking at, that's why we don't remember them.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Fair enough. I simply accepted that my crappy memory was at fault again. :lol:

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing that Movie 2 will climax with Smaug, and Movie 3 will intercut the Battle of 5 Armies with the Assault on Dol Guldur. Personally I'm more interested in seeing the White Council in action that the actual ending of The Hobbit :D

Though there's a rumor that Smaug's actual death scene will be cut from the ending of Movie 2 because it took too long to end the movie. They're gonna put it in the opening of Movie 3 instead, though there's another rumor there's going to cut that too because they didn't want to spend time on the Movie 2 villain in Movie 3 and will just stick it on the Extended Edition :p

How will they portray the Necromancer? The LOTR films took the interpretation that Sauron did not have a physical body. But in the books Gollum says that Sauron has four fingers on his hand, which means he does have a physical body.

So will the Necromancer be a Man-In-Armor, or a talking ghost form?

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The spiders would have been around Mirkwood generally and perhaps more populous in the southern portion near Dol Guldur after the Necromancer set up shop. Might as well have them involved, right?

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The chronology doesn't line up for that. The assault on Dol Guldur would take place at roughly the same time as Smaug's death. It's because the White Council was successful in driving the Necromancer from Dol Guldur that Gandalf is able to go back to Erebor when things go all pear shaped there in the wake of Smaug's death.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, makes sense to me.

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Actually, in the book, Gandalf "was in fact finishing his other business [at Dol Guldur] and getting ready to come in search of Thorin's company" before Bilbo and the dwarves even reach Lake Town. Not that PJ is obligated to stay true to the timeline, but he'd have to move the battle at Dol Guldur, significantly, to line up with Smaug's demise.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Personally I would move the Dol Guldur battle to the end of the trilogy. To me it's much more important plot-wise than the 5 Armies. Because they're pitching this as The Lord of the Rings Prequel and not just the Hobbit. So Gandalf and Sauron and Galadriel fighting Sauron is much more LOTR-important than dwarves and elves and orcs fighting over some treasure.

11. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I hadn't considered that option ... and I see what you mean, thematically speaking. But it'd be a logistical nightmare to get Gandalf from the BoFA to Dol Guldur, then back to Bilbo in time for their return journey to the north of the Misty Mountains.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He's the Goddamn Olorin.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I haven't read Hobbit in forever, I didn't remember that Gandalf was at 5 Armies. I remember him being conspicuously absent for almost the entire story...

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Can't they just say "A Wizard did it"? :devil:

15. The Nth Doctor

Gandalf remains with the Company all the way until they enter Mirkwood (except when he disappears briefly prior to the encounter with the trolls and when they're briefly separated in Misty Mountains). He doesn't return until the gathering of the 5 armies, but as Samuel Walters already said, he was in the process of returning to them as they were arriving in Laketown.

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

For those who might like a little help when going to see the movie...
    [​IMG]

17. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

18. The Nth Doctor

This is making the rounds on Facebook right now. Great stuff. :D

19. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

That's where I picked it up. For me it's a really good idea, provided I can find a small red-light to shine on it during the movie

20. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. And often, some background must be given, to either define the character or scene or give the audience a reason to care about the character. To me, that's not "filler" Ina bad sense, it's filling in the background.

When I read The Hobbit years ago, I was "who is Bard, etc?" Id gone though most of the book and now theres some humans that I'm supposed to root for in some way? Background would be welcome, if it's done well.