Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Nov 2, 2012.

1. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Who published Killing Time by Della van Hise?

Could you please somehow please pretty please bring in ideas from the Starfleet Year One novel? :drool:

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Pocket did, just as they've published every new Star Trek novel since 1981.

Sorry, no. I looked it over, and it's just too incompatible with the continuity that Enterprise established for that era.

3. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This sounds like great! I'm excited to know these stories will be told. I trust Christopher to weave a good story and hopefully revitalize the Enterprise series.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would actually rather have him do something with this motif...

5. Christopher

Well, the previous novels were pretty clear about what classes of ship were used in the Earth-Romulan War, and it was a much narrower selection than that. Anyway, I'm covering the postwar period.

6. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

This sounds like a great concept. Can't wait!

With the NX-01 mothballed, might we see a new lead ship?

Of course, we never actually "saw" the scene where the ship was decommissioned. Maybe they faked the NX-01's death too?

7. MatthiasRussell

My personal hope would be to see the NX-01 pulled out of mothballs and refit in the Drexler style.

More important than the ship, however, would be how the war's fall-out and the UFP as a new step for galactic civilization impacts the characters and society in general. That relationship building will be interesting to see not only within the UFP worlds but amongst the other worlds as well. We see how the formation of the Typhon Pact affected the quadrant, so it will be interesting to see how the Klingons and others react who are afraid the UFP will be a threat to them.

8. Christopher

Unfortunately, canon makes it pretty clear that NCC-1701 was the first Federation starship named Enterprise. I tried to think of a way NX-01 could still be in service as a non-commissioned ship or Earth ship, but if it were spaceworthy for those purposes, why not commission it as a Federation ship? And I'm tired of secret missions unrecorded by history.

As for the Drexler refit, it occurs to me that, despite what the cover art shows, it's never specifically stated in the Romulan War books that NX-01 wasn't refitted that way.

And there are always other ships...

There may be something along those lines... ;)

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I can't recall how many of the original NX's survived. I know 01 and 02 are accounted for and two or three of the others were destroyed.

How many were built during the war, and did production continue in peacetime ? There must be a few left to refit...

10. Christopher

The Romulan War novels established that NX-class (and Intrepid-class) production halted in favor of the easier-to-build Daedalus class, and systematically trashed most of the NX fleet. We know Columbia was lost in Destiny, and Beneath the Raptor's Wing blew up Challenger, Discovery, and Atlantis. Enterprise was crippled and decommissioned. Indistinguishable from Magic introduced an NX-07 Intrepid (implying the canonical Intrepid, namesake of its class, was destroyed during the war), but it was lost shortly after the UFP's founding. That leaves only Endeavour, which was severely damaged in BTRW but not destroyed.

Now that the war's over, of course, there's no reason to continue that Daedalus-only policy.

11. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Do you count IFM's Intrepid as part of the book world then? Anyway, I am very excited about this book & good luck on making a series out of it, Christopher!

12. Christopher

As I said, it was lost in 2161, and my book begins the following year. It doesn't come up.

13. MatthiasRussell

Just something to consider . . . With many of the NX class ships named for space shuttles, it would be nice to see a ship in the class named Buran. We also had a mock-up at KSC which is being shipped to JSC named Explorer. Lastly, there is a shuttle test article used at KSC in the 70s which was turned into a full mock-up and named Pathfinder and is now located in Alabama.

Sorry, I miss my space shuttles and figured I'd throw that out there.

Christopher, I wish you well on this project. I'm sure you will have plenty of interesting twists and tie-ins for the fans. Your books are always well-researched and planned out.

14. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are not alone in missing those shuttles.

15. MatthiasRussell

16. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

IFM established that 15 or 16 NX-class vessels had been built in total. Though not compatible with the novel continuity, Star Trek: Legacy had the Currie (NX-16) and the Avenger (NX-09).

Btw, the Terran Empire also had a couple of NX-class ships.

Edit: The Enterprise underwent a severe refit in the previous ENT novel. It doesn't refer to the Drexler refit but it would fit. I pictured the NX1.5 for the rest of the novel. Btw, the Intrepid (NX-07) was specifically not refitted in IFM.

17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As for lead ships...

Wouldn't it stand to reason that, with the UFP only a year old, most members would still be using their own fleets? I mean, even 150 years from now, I find it hard to believe there could be an infrastructure so big, that it could build an entire fleet of newly designed ships in just a year. Personally, I always asumed that it took a few years, maybe even a decade or two, to phase out all of Earth, Vulcan, Andorian and Tellarite ships before Starfleet was made up of ships designed and build solely by Starfleet.

18. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Tho apparently IFM isn't 'in continuity' according to editorial. So that may not be relevant.

19. Christopher

Yes, and there's some exploration of the beginnings of that transition in the book. If I get to do more books, we might see more of the process.

As I've already said more than once, since that book's Intrepid was lost a year before my novel takes place and is never actually mentioned in the book, it wouldn't have been relevant either way.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's kind of neat to imagine Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite, and United Earth ships all painted with the Federation livery. I'm just picturing that TOS-era blocky font on a Vulcan or Andorian ship. U.S.S. Ti'Mur or U.S.S. Kumari.