Intrepid Updates

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by USS Intrepid, Aug 21, 2011.

1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Okay, so we at Team Intrepid are hoping to release The Stone Unturned next month. I can't say exactly when next month (I simply don't know) and we're likely going to have to make a few compromises, but at this stage we're all anxious to just put this one to bed. None of us thought it'd take anywhere near this long to complete, and as it stands it's a bit of a noose around our necks, sapping energy and enthusiasm that would be better spent on new projects.

So, no more delays. The end of May is our deadline. And hopefully, I haven't just jinxed the whole damn thing. :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I hope you have good, and not bad, luck on this. We are all looking forward to viewing it!

3. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I'm looking forward to it!

4. USS Intrepid

Thanks. :)

We've had enough bad luck on this one so far, so hopefully we're done with that. In fact, screw it, I'm making my own luck from here on out. ;)

5. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just take your time and don't release the acts separately. ;)

6. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

May random chance operate in your favor. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

7. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

8. USS Intrepid

Thanks everyone, appreciate the kind words. :)

This one has been one long exercise in frustration, I'll be glad just to put it to bed. Definitely *this* May. ;)

9. Potemkin_Prod

Believe me, I've been there, done that, and folks ended up loving that production. :)

Same with fanzines when I was doing them; you'd end up hating one, and it would end up selling more copies than the others released at the same time.

Yours will be fine!

10. USS Intrepid

Thanks, I hope so. :)

In all honesty, it's far from perfect, but it's also probably better than our earlier efforts. Ironically, we've grown somewhat in our skills since we shot this so it's not really representative of our current capabilities, but such is life. :)

11. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

That really is a hazard of these fan productions. The longer you're at it and the better you get at it, the more fault you will find with your earlier work. I can see this being especially troublesome when you have an unfinished production hanging over you whilst you are trying to get other projects rolling. I can say that I believe "The Stone Unturned" will be quite good. I also suspect that the mistakes and weaknesses that are so glaring to you and the rest of the crew will probably be much less so to the audience.

Hats off to you all for deciding to bite the bullet and move on. Having a clean slate will be an enormous relief, I am sure.

12. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Destiny stands by to recieve your transmission.

13. USS Intrepid

That's true Mike, although to be honest I think I'm just being fairly realistic about the pros and cons of what we've done. :)

And thank you again folks. :)

I'm currently hopeful we'll get this out by mid-May, but it could still be later in the month. Ran into some problems with the ADR one one scene, where we just couldn't make the dialogue match. As a result, I'm having to make some visual changes to that scene, but I don't forsee it being a major delay.

I'm really tempted to sit down with Steve, who directed and edited it, and record a commentary track, if only to talk about the various roadblocks we've had.

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You totally should. If anything, it would be a valuable educational tool to the rest of the fan film community, and will be a keepsake of the entire experience for yourself. If I may be so bold, think of doing it the way Ron Moore did all his Battlestar podcasts, and you'll have a solid gold commentary as I'm concerned.

15. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

That sound like a great idea Nick! I think it would be very generous to share your hard-won knowledge and hopefully save some other would-be producers from having to learn the hard(est) way. I don't think it takes long for anyone who gets involved in these projects to realize that there is no "easy" way to learn how to do it! ;)

16. Potemkin_Prod

Nick, that's definitely a great idea! Do it!

17. USS Intrepid

Thanks for the encouragement, we're going to try and do just that this weekend. May turn more into a personal reminiscence than anything but you never know. :)

Ended up making some visual tweaks to a somewhat problematic scene last night that will hopefully resolve some issues with the ADR. I also think it makes the scene a little more visually interesting, since it was largely 'talking heads'.

18. USS Intrepid

More progress today. Finally managed to more or less finish ADR work on a particularly problematic scene. I don't expect the others to be quite as complex, so hopefully it's mostly downhill now.

Also sat down with Steve and recorded a commentary track, which was good fun. May not be hugely informative, but what the heck. :)

19. USS Intrepid

Another scene pretty much done and dusted today. This one took longer than expected, and I found out we're missing a couple of lines I thought we had. Not a major problem, and the existing dialogue could probably be used if necessary. Either way, not enough to cause any major problems.

As it stands, I have three more scenes to finish up ADR on, two of those are pretty short, and the other is a longer expository scene. Thankfully, I'd mostly tackled these scenes a while back, so I'm hopefully it'll just be a bit of polish required. So while I'm not going to be done with it this weekend, I don't expect to be working on it more than a few more days.

Also did a little work on the blooper reel last night, although I tend to think these things are often funnier to the people in them, than the people watching. :)

20. USS Intrepid

Tackled ADR work on another couple of scenes tonight. At this point I have one short scene and one long scene left to tackle, but those are essentially assembled, so will likely be just tweaks. Except for a few missed lines, we're pretty much done and dusted, and then I'll be forwarding the final dialogue track to Bodo for balancing.

Still on track for a mid-late May release. :)