X Files 2 - Letdown

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jax, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just watched the 2nd X Files movie and I cannot believe how poor it is and its just not X Files at all. If this was a non X Files movie then it would of been decent but when I read it was going to be a standalone monster of the week type story, I kind of expected something like a monster of sorts.

This was just a story about people stealing organs and so what if there reason for that was slighty weird and we had a psychic guy helping, it made no different that this was so weak compared to what he had seen the show do for episodes.

Mulder was his normal self, which was good but I found Scully so annoying and rather selfish in the movie and not too mention Skinner's role was minimal, which was a huge waste of time.

X Files is supposed to be a mysterious paranormal show but this movie was more CSI than X Files.

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I saw it a week ago myself and I'm so disappointed I can't find any enthusiasm to write any sort of criticism about it...

It was not a bad movie, it just didn't feel like X - Files ...Is this what they have been struggling to make all these years ?

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

not a bad movie but a bad X Files movie :( Iwas looking so forward to it as well. The movie made a profit after worldwide release so FOX should make a 3rd one so we can get a proper wrap up, finish off the myth behind it all.

4. Haytil

Haytil Captain Captain

It was a bad movie. It was slow, the main plot was basically irrelevant, and there was no climax.

The fact that it was X-Files made it even worse, because I would've had at least a minimum expectation for how good it should've been.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw it in theaters on opening night. I still want my 8 dollars back.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I thought it was good. Not great but good.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I thought it was great. It wasn't what we were expecting, but I thought it made sense considering where the show left off.

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I thought it was fairly good. Nothing fantastic, or as big as I'd expected, but I liked it enough to see it twice.

9. Foxy

Foxy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I really liked the film as well. The story wasnt the greatest x-files story but I thought it was good enough...

It didnt feel like the x-files from 01/02 when it ended it felt as it should... that time had passed and things had changed.

I think its left us ready for the 2012 story and a closure to the whole thing :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a great standalone character piece for Mulder and Scully. But that only represents a small portion of what the X-Files was, and if there were other parts of the series you were more interested in seeing (aliens, crazy monsters, ghosts, etc.) I can understand the disappointment.

A shame it didn't do that well. I'd kill to see a 2012 story that provided closure for everything. The film certainly left that thread dangling.

11. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I thought it was a very strong story about Scully and Mulder--especially Scully--making the most important choices of their lives. It wasn't an !!X-FILES EPIC!!, but the small scale made for a sharper script.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

You do know if you demand it they have to give you your $8 back. But you have to do so either while the film is still playing or immediately following the end credits.

13. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a better conclusion to The X-Files than season 9 finale The Truth was, I'll give it that much.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The film did make a profit in the end so I think FOX should do a 3rd movie and let us have the 2012 script.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It didn't do the abyss of Serenity numbers, but it wasn't that profitable, either. If it made money, it was only barely. The 30-35 million dollar production budget is only a portion of the costs. Add to that the costs of striking over 3,000 prints and you're looking at an expensive proposition.

A sequel is possible, but not probable. I'd love to see it happen, though.

16. Orintho

Orintho Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they waited a bit too long to try and revive this franchise for film.

17. jonnyskywatcher

jonnyskywatcher Commander Red Shirt

I personally really like this movie, and felt that it was a character piece for Mulder and Scully who are the heart of the X-Files, and while the case might not have been super-weird it didn't need to be, plus Skinner showing up was great for me, because I didn't know he would be in the movie so it was a surprise.

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

The movie was ok but the story would have made a better 50 min TV episode.

19. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was awful - a massive letdown. Admittedly, I'm not the hugest X-Files fan out there. I've seen maybe two-thirds of it, perhaps as much as three-quarters, and I'm not really very interested in the overall conspiracy arc or the 2012 thing. However, because of this I was really looking forward to the film, as I was aware that it was a standalone (monster of the week) style episode, and those were always my favourite. Imagine my disappointment when it turned out to just be incredibly dull, devoid of any interesting mystery, and in fact, barely even an X-File. I'd have given it a pass on tv - not at the cinema - must try harder.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the novelization by Max Allan Collins and I was disapointed with the movie as well. Not surprised that it bombed at the box office. Wonder if it will do any DVD sales?