Farscape reference in Demons of Air?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by setacourse, Jul 1, 2008.

1. foravalon

foravalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sweet, I was concerned about your geekdom for a sec there...

2. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

You're thinking of the annotations I did for SCE: Out of the Cocoon, though what I actually wrote was, "Any similarity to any other spaceship passengers offering to pay for passage off-planet with a box of strawberry-ish objects is purely coincidental." ;)

The similarity between the scene I had written (before specifying the data discs were "strawberry red") to the Kaylee-Book scene in "Serenity" seemed pretty blatant to me at the time -- probably because I had just received the Firefly DVD set the Christmas before. Three years later, maybe not quite so much.

3. setacourse

setacourse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ *checks* Ahh, and in an antique wooden box. I see the similarity once you put the pieces together, but it wasn't as obvious as if she'd put one of the discs in her mouth and rolled her eyes up in pleasure. ;) By the way, Kara McClay--is that Tara McClay on the brain?

PS: I love annotations. To grasp the myriad connections that add texture (and grins, like p. 58: "God help us; we're in the hands of engineers." This same line was spoken by Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park.) and for side notes like Keith's note about getting the SCE vibe.

4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Either that, or it's a Stephen Ratliff reference. :eek: *shudders*

5. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Wow... no, I honestly never realized that I'd done that. :alienblush:

6. setacourse

^ Hee, I didn't see that until yesterday when I reread the scene with Whedon in mind.

7. foravalon

Just started Enemy Territory and found a new one, Elabrej First Mate "Bialar" , nice.

8. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been a while since I saw Farscape and I kinda blocked out most of it, and I never watched much of Firefly, so would someone mind filling me in on my ignorance?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I believe Bialar was the first name of Commander Crais, the Farscape character who started out as the main recurring villain but then became more of an ambivalent character and eventually an antihero.

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for clearing that up.

11. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You may find some FARSCAPE references in VOYAGER: DISTANT SHORES.

I hear one of the stories has a few.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep, mainly a "Here Come the Brides" crossover, but there were joke cameos from "Bonanza", "Have Gun, Will Travel", "Doctor Who", "Maverick" - and even the original "Battlestar Galactica", IIRC.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And Hokas from the prose-SF series by Gordon R. Dickson & Poul Anderson, among others. It wasn't just TV refs.

Plus, the strangest thing is that the Here Come the Brides characters weren't just cameo roles, but featured guest stars. Ishmael was a full-bore crossover between TOS and HCtB. It's amazing it slipped under the lawyers' radar.

14. setacourse

I've read Enemy Territory 1.5 times (first time all the way through, second time my favorite parts) and First Mate Bialar flew right past me. :)

About Ishmael, Mary P. Taylor, who put together the "Star Trek: Adventures in Time and Space" compilation, said

"One book that I would have loved to include, but could not for legal reasons, was the Barbara Hambly book Ishmael, which wanders into another universe that does not belong to Paramount," added Taylor. Ishmael features characters and situations from the 1968 television series Here Come the Brides starring Mark Lenard, who also played Spock's father. "That was a fun read, but I think they had to work out a deal just to publish it in the first place."

from http://www.littlereview.com/getcritical/tvbooks/taylor.htm

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, IIRC, Barbara Hambly didn't point out the (obvious) major crossover connection until late in the process, when she realised no one had panicked, but the new editor didn't worry too much (at first) because "Here Come the Brides" was a Paramount Production. What they hadn't realised was that the approval rights had since passed back to the original owners, and there was a last-minute legal scramble.

Had it all been done by the book, there would no doubt have been appropriate acknowledgements to the HCtB copyright owners in "Ishmael".

16. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Or the idea could have been scuttled from the get-go. They're certainly not the most obvious properties to meld.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

17. setacourse

Where'd you hear about that? <swivels antennae>

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^I think that that was mentioned in Voyages of Imagination.

19. setacourse

Oh! Thanks for the reminder, I still need to get that book.

20. foravalon

Kurak's service to "the great shipbuilder Makros". Bizarre Robotech reference?