Best first Episode for a Five Year Old

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mike Have-Not, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Asa kid I NEVER identified with any of those kids.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Neither did I. I pretty much hated them when I was young.

3. Dalen Quaice

Dalen Quaice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The last time I showed "Miri" to children, most of the kids were running around saying "Bonk, Bonk..." and "ollie ollie oxen free" ... and the girls liked "Mr. Lovey Dovey" -- while I couldn't resist saying, "Miri is with them... why?" or "We have five days, you know" :rofl:

Ok, so maybe this was a long time ago...

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I just introduced my kids to TOS (and Trek in general) tonight with Tribbles. Thought I'd go with light humour for the younger one as he's a bit prone to bad dreams if there are disturbing ideas or images too close to bedtime. My first episode was The Devil in the Dark. I was the same age as my younger child--7--but never had nightmares. I thought of going with Devil but the killing of the miner that I recall would likely have upset my son (in his dreams if not at that moment). I'll ease him into it. As for my daughter, she'd have had no issues at that age but I didn't have the TOS disc sets back then.

5. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always hated kids appearing in any adult-centered show I watched as a kid. Don't know if it was because they were hardly ever realistic, or were an obvious attempt to be cute or "relate," or...

Maybe it's because kids do a lot of role modeling when watching TV, and watching kids be kids teaches them nothing about how to be adults.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, "Miri" always bored me as a kid, although I will admit that "And the Children Shall Lead" spooked me out a bit.

But, seriously, do you want a show a five-year-old an episode that's all about getting kids to cry over their parents' deaths?

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I think form me it's because I always wanted to be a grown up when I was a kid. During the holidays when we visited relatives I had to sit at the kid's table during dinner but I always wanted to be with the adults.

8. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Go with Tribbles. Was and still is my favorite. Funny, you're starting him on Trek at age 5. That's how old I was when my dad sat me down to watch Trek with him (1966).

9. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw my first episode at age six. It was "The Lights of Zetar," in first run. When the woman lying on the floor started gurgling and her face started glowing (it was a b&w TV), and then she died, I found it very scary. I did not like STAR TREK that night. I don't think I watched it again for several years. (As an adult I love that ep, oddly enough.)

"The Trouble with Tribbles" would be a great one, though.

10. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

So does Children of the Corn and Village of the Damned...

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I had a thread last year about introducing my five year old to TOS.

Basically, "The Devil in the Dark" and "Arena" were big winners. She also dug "The Apple."