Happy 90th Birthday, Michael Ansara

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Sir Rhosis, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Born 4-15-1922. Hope he has many more!

Sir Rhosis

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Christ, I didn’t even know he was still alive.

I’ve been checking out Ansara’s IMDb filmography. He worked steadily in movies and television from 1944 right up until 2001, when he did the voice of Mr. Freeze for a Batman cartoon. That’s more than most actors can claim or even hope for.

Happy birthday, Mr. Ansara, and thanks for the pleasure you’ve given us as Kang, as the religious nut in the original Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and as God knows how many American Indians!

3. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Great actor. I even noted he was in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS the other week.

4. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What a great life. He was in Star Trek and married to Barbara Eden.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

In a bit of serendipity, the very next thread to this (at this moment) is discussing The Way to Eden! :lol:

6. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw: He knew the way ... at least for a while! :rofl:

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting you should mention his Mr. Freeze role for the animated Batman, Scotpens. Until I saw that early 90s episode, I never knew his backstory. (The 1966 series never elaborated upon a lot of the characters.) So while George Sanders may have projected a more aristocrastic air, I prefer Ansara's performance because we (well, maybe just "I") learned about the loss of his wife and how it drove him to do what he does.

Also, I absolutely loved how they "tweaked" his voice in his debut as Freeze. That stoic attitude mixed with the slight "buzzing" reverb made me think, "Ooh! THAT'S how a Cyberman should sound!" Not totally mechanized, but still retaining a "twinge" of humanity. Later they toned down the augmentation, maybe did away with it all together, but but that first appearance, they got it RIGHT!

Sincerely,

Bill

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

A belated happy birthday to Mr. Ansara. I hope I can make it to 90.

9. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is it just me of was ANSARA the best Klingon ever in TOS. Koloth was a wimp, Kor was very believable as a leader, but with Kang you fel this guy will truly kick your butt if you cross him. Happy birthday Mr. ANSARA and many more.

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Ansara had a guest role on I Dream of Jeannie as the Blue Djinn, who originally imprisoned Jeannie in the bottle. Incidentally, that was probably the closest he ever got to playing a character of his own ethnic background — if there are Lebanese genies.

11. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

He played a Technomage on an episode (or two) of Babylon 5 with invincible gravitas. I wish he had appeared more frequently.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

He also played King Kamehameha in a Hawaiian episode (A two parter I believe) and apparently a 3rd character, Biff Jelico.

I caught the Hawaiian episode a few years back and knew instantly the voice was that of Elric, the Technomage from Babylon 5

13. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, he was married to Barbara Eden, wasn't he?

Speaking of Lebanese playing themselves, Jamie Farr's biography was pretty much incorporated whole into his Klinger character. He even wore his own Korean war dogtags.

14. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Happy Birthday, Michael Ansara....:)