Episode of the Week : The Cage

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Botany Bay, Jan 6, 2014.

?

Rate "The Cage"

Poll closed Jan 13, 2014.
  1. 1

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. 7

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. 8

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  9. 9

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  10. 10

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they can release the unaired pilot version of Where No Man Has Gone Before, why oh why not Roddenberry's print of The Cage? :brickwall:

Sorry, I really must shut up about this. :sigh:

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^Maybe CBS doesn't have it any more. It's possible Roddenberry's black and white dupe is the only surviving copy of the original cut.

3. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

Back in '08 (I think) I went to the Cinema to see the original full version of "The Cage"

It was a 1 night showing across the country. I believe it was the full version. I seem to remember it was over 90 min long, including an introduction and close out. I also seem to remember it was all in color.

Anyone else remember this?

4. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Regarding the uncut print...I agree! I've been dying to see this for YEARS!!

5. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Cage is a fine piece of work. It's also easy to see at this stage how Jack Lord would have been quite suited to the leading role. I think he would have been especially good in the 'now that the female is properly conditioned/whole human community' scene.

6. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Incidentally, the (basically) full audio of the Roddenberry print can be heard here, recorded from the audience at a screening.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE4RPRxPyns[/yt]

7. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, finally: the full normal Malachi Throne voice and the original lack of music after he says "we can soon begin the experiment." The music heard on all commercial prints is tracked from The Man Trap. Thanks for posting it.