Lost 5x12: "Dead is Dead"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 8, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

79.2%
  2. Above Average

20.8%
  3. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Excellent

A step up from last week.

2. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Hmm...re-watching...slightly suspicous how Locke disappears and smokey appears....hmmmm

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I think the writers just wanted John out of the way so he doesn't see the monster again quite yet. I have a feeling that there's another big confrontation between Locke and the monster on its way.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't be the first similarity either. :lol:

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'd be disappointed if it turns out Locke was just a Cerberus manifestation, but it's a very plausible theory.

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The kid is what kept her safe, in my opinion. I just don't see the creators offing her knowing that little Charlie was there too. This isn't Galactica.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

What was the point of getting Caesar on his side and untrusting of Locke if he just blows him away 10 minutes later? Did it not go the way he thought it would?

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Obviously, it didn't

9. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, when Locke takes off his glasses, he looks almost exactly like...

;)

10. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Either that, or Ben set Caesar up to confront Locke just so that Ben could play the "hero".

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anyone cares, the large guy who's now armed with bounty hunter lady is going to be James T. Kirk's alcoholic, abusive uncle in the upcoming Trek movie.

Was the statue question to see who Widmore's sleeper agents were?

12. Adm. Bonz

Adm. Bonz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Something like that. I think they're related to the original temple builders. Whoever that may be.

Excellent. Didn't think Ben would die, but liked the resolution. Loved Locke tonight.

Alex!:drool:
    Desmond!
    Penny!
    Lil'Charlie!

Next week looks even better. Dr.Chang telling Miles he should've come alone.:eek:

13. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great ep! wondering what ilana's question to Lepidus was all about, something about the shadow of the statue? They probably are either apart of widmores people, his others, or any existing members of bens others, sort of contingency plan, I liked the look on bens face when he saw the dharma initiative picture and noticed kate and hurley in it And as for next week I have a feeling and I hope I'm wrong that that's faraday in that bodybag and miles is able to talk to him coz that would suck

14. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

A most excellent episode. I do like how there was a sharp difference between Ben with power in the past and Ben without it in the present. I had the half expectation that he would have killed Penny due to the "tell Desmond I'm sorry" bit he passed on to Sun.

My belief is that the Island 'borrows' people to be it's spokesperson and/or voice. Sometimes that voice is nothing but that and ...well... Ben was judged. It kind of bites being on the leadership structure for the Others.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Well, they definitely showed Anubis tonight above the portal where Smokey exits.

[​IMG]

Link to my previous post about Anubis being the statue.

Anubis has a "daughter" named Kebechet, which is a snake:

In Egyptian mythology, Kebechet (spelt in hieroglyphs as Qeb-Hwt, and also transliterated as Kebhut, Kebehut, Qébéhout, and Kabechet) was the deification of embalming liquid, her name meaning cooling water. Such liquid was seen as the child of Anubis, in the area where Kebechet was considered to exist, and consequently Kebechet was seen as his daughter.

As the deification of embalming, she was seen as the goddess of freshness and purification via water. She was the goddess of freshness and purification through water who washed the entrails of the deceased and brought the sacred water to Anubis for his tasks. She was thought to give water to the spirits of the dead while they waited for the mummification process to be complete. She was probably related to mummification where she would fortify the body against corruption, so it would stay fresh for reanimation by the deceased's ka.

Like all female concepts from the Ogdoad belief system, Kebechet was depicted as a snake with a body of stars, or simply as a woman with the head of a snake, although in rare instances she was pictured as an ostrich, which was representative of Ma'at (purity / righteousness). It is also said that she was the daughter of Anubis the god of mummification and it is said that Kebechet helped purify the mummies for Anubis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebechet

- She's connected to water and embalming fluid, and Ben had to "unclog the drain" so to speak to summon Smokey with the water for some reason.

- She's connected to mummification and reanimation, and Smokey has reanimated corpses.

- She's connected to maintaining purity and guarding against corruption, and Ben went to Smokey to be judged.

- She's a snake related to Anubis, which fits both the engraving and the general appearance of Smokey itself. Not a body of stars, but a body of dust is similar in appearance I suppose.

16. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I think they're probably Widmore agents. But the other possibility is that they're "infected", like Rousseau's people were.

And Ilana's question was "What lies in the shadow of the statue?"

I'm guessing that that's a riddle. You think it's "lies" as in to lie down, but it could be "lies" as in telling an untruth. Like you have to speak the truth in the shadow of the statue or something.

17. chrisspringob

I think Ben does remember. Or he didn't remember (because his memory was wiped) but he ultimately pieced it together himself after 815 crashed, because he's seen that picture from 1977 before. There's no reason to believe that his "surprise" about the 815ers in Dharma was genuine, because Ben lies about everything.

He lied to Jack about not killing Locke. He lied to Caesar about not killing Locke, and not knowing who he was. He either lied to Locke about expecting Locke to come back to life, or he lied to Sun about not expecting Locke to come back to life. And those are just his lies in the last seven episodes! Why should we believe that he really didn't know about the 815ers in Dharma?

18. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

First excellent of the season I think. Great stuff. Really liked the resurrected Locke and his interplay with subdued Ben. The past stuff wasn't super interesting but was necessary to set up the bit where Ben gets judged, so that's ok, and we finally get an answer about Ben's injury even though it's something that people have been suspecting from the beginning anyways. Does EVERY minor character have to be someone we know, I mean how many times has a young Ethan shown up for no good reason? Hopefully this actually turns out to mean something.

I'm really enjoying this current iteration of Locke so I'm worried that he's just a manifestation of the smoke monster since he seemed conspicuously absent when the beast was around. Although I'm not sure why it would bother doing that, since in the cabin scene a couple of episodes ago you can see Christian and the smoke monster on the screen at the same time. The episode is called Dead is Dead so if we were to follow that Locke would definitely be dead, along with Alex and Christian.

The point about Ben not remembering LeFluer is bugging me though. Yeah not remembering Sayid makes sense , but erasing a multi-year memory of Sawyer and the rest? I suppose this universe does have a smoke monster that can read minds so it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that it just erased those memories.

Still no explanation as to why Richard Alpert never ages, yet everyone else does. Widmore is in charge, then Ben, so being an Other doesn't give you this ability.

I still think the smoke monster is some futuristic nanites or something, put there specifically to guard the timeline. So a security system for the timeline rather than the island.

19. chrisspringob

Read my last post. Ben probably does remember. He just lies about everything. What did you expect him to say when Sun asked if he knew they were in Dharma?

"Oh yeah, I've known for years that your husband and several of the other survivors of Flight 815 would eventually go back in time and work for Dharma. I've just been hiding that information, so that I could manipulate you more easily."

20. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I don't think Triple-A was caught for DUI... But I would appreciate a link, tho.