Star Trek Original Sheet Music

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nacluv, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I recently bought the books The Music of Star Trek by Jeff Bond and Music for Star Trek - Scoring a Television Show in the Sixties by Fred Steiner.

Jeff Bond's book includes some printed piano covers from the motion picture themes and also previews of original composer sketches from TOS; Metamorphosis, Who Mourns for Adonais, Doomsday Machine and more.

Fred Steiner's book includes printed sheet music previews from Amok Time, The Conscience of the King, The Empath and more.

I was wondering if anybody knows if other original composer sketches or printed arrangements have been distributed in some manner, that you can't find in those two books.

I posted it in this forum because I'm also interested in sketches and arrangements of cues from the other show, but my interest in material from TOS is predominant.

Also, except for the main theme, the books do not include full themes only a few bars from the cues. Here's my cover of the 5 bars of Charlie X music that could be found in Steiner's book.
    http://kiwi6.com/file/b22e1dq9l3

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Dang, I wish I still had one of my synthesizers. Are these showing the full orchestral scores with all parts, or are they for piano? I used to get pocket scores and rig all my keyboards up to do things like William Tell Overture and a ST:TMP score I found for band instruments, with each keyboard or tone generator handling strings, horns, etc.

3. Nacluv

When it comes to the TOS sketch previews in Jeff Bond's book, I'd say so yes. I'm pretty certain it's the same with Steiner's book, but since he only gives us a few seconds of a few cues, it's harder to tell.

Most of the handwritten sketches in Jeff Bond's book are however somewhat messy (even more so than usual when it comes to handwritten notation) and as I said before, only the first page of each composer sketch is included, which would equal about 30-60 seconds of the themes.

I've also started to suspect that when they made the 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites video games, they had access to sheet music from TOS. Because when I recorded a demo of Spock's theme (called "Vulcan Biology" in Steiner's book). It sounded exactly as the Spock theme arrangement in Judgment Rites.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Paramount Studios (and probably every major studio) maintains an archive of scores and music cues, so getting the appropriate scores was just a matter of searching. On the other hand, the theme in question (the one in which Barney Kessel plays baratone guitar, no?) only has a few moments of simple harmony, which would be child's play for a professional arranger.

5. Nacluv

Probably right. I just found it interesting that those two arrangements were so identical while there are other cues in the game that are not as concordant.