Game of Thrones (book/show) newbie (please no spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DevilEyes, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Thank you! It is good to know how far I can read without spoiling myself for the show (as I said before...I would have hated to have known about certain events).

I have a week off and I intend to get a little reading done in that time. The first 4 books have been sitting on a bookcase mocking me for some time now. It is good to have a "stop here" point in mind.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

^You're welcome. As Venardhi said, if you read as far as that (and you might want to edit out those last words in parentheses-- for newbies they're a spoiler, if a vague one), you'll see the introduction of at least one character who hasn't appeared on TV but will, and some others who may or may not make it into the show. Nothing much happens with them up to that point, but if you don't want to read about characters before they appear on the show, you might just want to stop at the end of the second book.

3. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Oh, sorry! I thought that was the title of the episode. I would hate to be responsible for spoiling someone when I had just posted about not wanting to be spoiled. Eeek!. Edit complete.

Thanks again!

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I've already been spoiled about this thing - whatever it is - since everyone everywhere is mentioning those two words in relation to the apparently shocking last episode of GoT!

Meanwhile I'm already around page 150 in the first book - I really like it. I wanted to see the first episode at least, but I still haven't gotten around to it. Reading just makes me more curious how certain things looked on screen.

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First book is a masterpiece, which is impressive considering it's almost entirely set-up for later, bigger events. Though I think Dany was never nearly as fascinating later on as she was in Book 1.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yay! A friend of mine is lending me the first two seasons on Blu-Ray!

BTW, do you know why George R.R. Martin isn't on Twitter? He's already killed all 140 characters. ;):p

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I noticed that on Amazon the first 3 books are very highly rated by readers (4.5 out of 5 stars). but the last 2 have more of a mixed reaction (3.4 out of 5 stars).

8. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I think that if Martin had kept the 4th and 5th book as one book it would have been better despite the size that that book would have been.

9. Pro Populo

Pro Populo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I borrowed the first season of the show from a friend a while back and really enjoyed it, though I haven't seen any following seasons yet. While I'm sort of aware of what's been going on, and have been spoiled on a couple things, I decided to start reading the books before picking up with the show again.

I'm only about 100 or so pages into book 1, but I'm loving it so far (despite already having seen the show and knowing that the first season sticks fairly close to it). However, I was rather surprised to learn that they aged up a number of characters for the show that are supposed to be quite a bit younger in the books, though I suppose that makes sense given some of the things they go through (*cough* Daenerys *cough*)...

10. DalekJim

Not just that but kids are only allowed to work certain hours so it's annoying casting them in main roles if you're shooting for 10 months.

It's left me in the creepy position of wanting to sleep with Sansa and Dany in the show :devil:.

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Sansa is playing her real age. She's just tall and you're just creepy. :)

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

[​IMG]

:lol: :techman:

13. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Yeah, the actress that plays Sansa was born in 1996.

Guess we can add child molester to your already impressive resume. :)

14. Venardhi

To be fair, she has aged faster than the character. Born in 96 would've made her 16 during filming of this last season. Depending on how old Jim is, it might only be borderline creepy.

15. DalekJim

16 is legal in my country, and I'm barely older than that.

:lol:

People really are fucking vile on the internet.

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Rationalizations don't make it sound any less creepy, and continued attempts at it make it even more so.

17. DalekJim

Uh, alright.

18. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw:

Are some of you serious?!

Sophie Turner is a during-S3 16-year old (the legal age of consent in DalekJim's country), now 17-year old woman (not girl) who has been through puberty and physically aged in her sexual maturity very fast since the show started back in the pilot. This isn't a child we're talking about, there's nothing creepy at all about a young male finding a young, LEGAL female attractive, I can't believe some of what I'm reading. :wtf:

19. DalekJim

I can't even grow a damn beard yet :lol:.

20. Venardhi

I don't know about everyone else, but I was just taking advantage of an opportunity to poke fun at him. There IS a world of difference between legal and not creepy though.