Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nick Briggs' ubiquity is very, very irritating.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That's sad to hear, I hope she improves

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

"I'm who you should be" is the only one I can ever make out.

Heh. I like the guy sometimes. He does great Daleks and Cybermen (never understand the folks who want the monster voices switched out), and he's a dependable actor otherwise, though he'll probably never wow you. He does some good writing, but I think he falls down when he tried to write like Russell T Davies-- he just not good enough at characters to make the big emotional climaxes work. The Vengeance of Morbius and Blue Forgotten Planet fall flat. But when you give him a gritty space opera and, even better, let him sound design it, you get perfection. I like Sword of Orion and love the first series of Cyberman. I really should listen to Dalek Empire someday.

He really needs to stop voicing the Ice Warriors, though.

4. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are plenty of things he's good at, and a few he's even great at, but also plenty of things he's not so good at. I suppose the trouble is that a) he still does them all, and b) he thinks he's better at doing the things he's not good at than he really is.

But none of that's a reason to hate him. Just maybe a reason to wish he'd look in the mirror and step back from a few things. He's certainly not a bad guy, in any way.

5. Stevil2001

6. TJ Sinclair

Well, I finished The Spectre of Lanyon Moor a short while ago, and that's probably been the most disappointing of the early stuff yet. Could have been really interesting, and it was nice to hear the Brig, but things didn't come off as threatening as they were supposed to, and the end felt like a horrid train-wreck rush job with the villain's motivation boiling down to "well, because." Oh, and an utter waste of James Bolam.

That's two Evelyn stories down, and while The Marian Conspiracy was enjoyable, neither has been much to write home about, apart from the fun of her character. I hope the writing for the Sixth Doctor audios improves from here on. So far, definitely enjoying Five and Seven the most.

7. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The early Evelyn stories don't have much to offer apart from the charm of her character, unfortunately. The Apocalypse Element, which is up next, is if anything worse than The Spectre of Lanyon Moor. Among the first 50, the sixth Doctor is generally better served by the non-Evelyn audios.

8. Sindatur

I loved The Apocalypse Element, first Colin/Evelyn I thought was excellent

9. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that was because it was impossible to edit down to 4x25 for broadcast (it overran considerably)

But there may have been writer issues too.

I can't help but think Nick Briggs character in that one was a plan B, in case they ever lost the licence.

10. Sindatur

Finished Pier Pressure - I enjoyed it alright, and just noticed on Wikipedia that Billy is referring to William Hartnell and his movie appearances are actual Billy Hartnell appearances.

I liked The Nowhere Place quite a bit

Also finished up 100 - Enjoy this more than I expected to. I wasn't expecting much out of it, considering it's 4 single episode stories, but, they were all pretty decent. I especially liked the reference (In the 4th story) to the Unbound David Warner Doctor that travelled with the Brig. References to the "canonical" Doctors would be expected in this story, but, the Unbound Doctor was a nice surprise

Also, from the "First 50 for $2.99" - I bought The Holy Terror, Colditz, Omega, Davros, and Master. So those will be waiting for me along with My Main Range Subscriptions (Which started with Persuasion) after I finish the Colin/Evelyns and listen to some Pern Novels (Also, by that time Galifrey Series 6 will also probably be out)

11. TJ Sinclair

I wouldn't say excellent, but I'm almost done, and it's certainly better than Lanyon Moor, if also a bit harder to follow (for some reason, I've had to back track a couple of times, because I missed scene transitions somehow).

In any case, it's worth it for this exchange alone:

"You'll need the Great Seal, Doctor, and the Rod of Rassilon."
    - "We'll need the everything of Rassilon, Lord President. Right down to his purple, polka-dot pajamas!"

Only Colin Baker could pull off a line like that so perfectly. And then there's the mental image of Timothy Dalton wearing the Purple Polka-Dot Pajamas of Rassilon. :p

12. Sindatur

Finished Assassin in The Limelight - Pretty Cool how this is a Sequel of both Pier Pressure and Medicinal Purposes. I thought both of those were fairly decent, but, not really great, but, I really liked the way they both came together and added in the Lincoln Plot

Finished A Death in the Family I really liked this one too. I was surprised, I just grabbed up all the Evelyn Smythe Stories, and while I knew Seven was in this one, I didn't realize it was his story and Six wasn't in it at all. Hex is cool (I don't know Seven's audios well yet), and I really liked Ace's part in it and what her character does. Cool format the way the episodes are structured too. Nice seeing Evelyn without Six for a change of pace (Though I love her with Six). I see the Word Lord stems from the 45th Anniversary Release Forty-Five, which is 4 single episode stories (Like Big Finish 100).

Sadly, only the Companion Chronicles Story and 3 others left of the Evelyn Period :(

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  13. TJ Sinclair

Finished Sword of Orion earlier tonight. I thought the first half was pretty run of the mill, but things did get interesting after a while. But was it just me, or did it seem not to focus on the Doctor and Charley all that much? I do hope the Eighth Doctor stories improve, as I really love McGann, and was hoping for better. Are the Eighth Doctor novels generally better than the audios?

Shadow of the Scourge was very well done, on the other hand. Even if the ending was
    just another example in a long line of "beat the emotional parasite species with the power of positive thinking" tropes.
    I really am getting tired of that.

And still hoping for better stories with Evelyn.

14. Stevil2001

I prefer the eighth Doctor audios to the novels. I like his first "season" of audios all right, but things really click in his second for sure. Classic after classic after classic!

I think things with Evelyn stabilize with Project: Twilight and Bloodtide.

15. Sindatur

Oh, speaking of the 8th Doctor Audios, I checked the Forum for what this month's Book Club Audio discount is, and it's Chimes of Midnight. A bit of a bummer, since it's already marked down for being in the first 50, but, the comments are really glowing for it in the first few posts I read.

It's one that was on my definite buy list, since I intend to collect the Eight/Charleys next, so, since the reviews were so good, and I had a few bucks in Paypal, I went ahead and bought it too. (I already had the first 3, now Chimes of Midnight and also I already had Zagreus and Neverland, so I need to fill in, between and continue)

After the Six/Evelyns, I have to start on Pern (I have the first two Trilogies), so, I'll have quite the collection waiting again by the time I get back around to Doctor Who, especially considering Gallifrey Final Series is coming out in a few months, and I'll have several Subscription releases by that time as well as the First 50 ones I'm periodically picking up. Audios are becoming quite an addiction :alienblush::alienblush:

16. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally got round to Gallifrey Series 5.

Best bit of the run was the last 2 minutes.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting for Romana and Leela get to married in the final episode next month.

Everyone buy your rice now.

18. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's odd, they shouldn't do that until dark Eyes II is almost upon us, but I heard that that had been delayed well into next year.

20. TJ Sinclair

Listened to The Stones of Venice today, and I can say for certain, that it's the first Big Finish audio I've heard that I found to be absolutely stupid. Mind-numbingly awful and utterly inane. And if people seem to think Minuet In Hell is even worse, I can't wait to get to that gem... Ugh. :(