"AGE OF THE HOBBITS": Asylum finally sued for making ripoff movies

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Quite frankly, if someone is stupid enough to buy the wrong movie they deserve to be separated from their money IMO.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That doesn't let Asylum off the proverbial hook.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Actually, I suspect that much of the market is clueless parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles.

"Look, there's that HOBBIT thing little Jimmy keeps talking about. I'm sure he'd love to get it for his birthday!"

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^That's always been my thought when I see their movies. I've often wondered how many clueless relatives have thought they were getting someone a movie that they loved, only to find out that they accidently got them the crappy ripoff.

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^Reminds me of the intro to Bored of the Rings where they "realize" you might have bought it thinking it's the real thing... and then ching! goes the cash register. :lol:

I guess the lesson is make your ripoffs more subtle [Twilight, etc....]

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Imagine a relative giving it to you and you open it up and see it's a rip off Asylum movie and the relative is beaming at you..do you have the heart to tell them it's not your beloved movie? I'm not sure how I'd respond to that.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

It's bad etiquette to tell someone to their face that you're dissatisfied with a gift, though if they're someone you've got a solid enough foundation with that you can be that level of honest with them...you're lucky to have someone like that.

That said, after last Xmas I dealt with two dissatisfying movies in my own ways.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's actually how it started. They made War of the Worlds and people were buying it and renting it thinking it was the Spielberg movie, even though that movie had just come out in theaters. They also have a lot of movies that are titled with a number at the front so it'll be at the top of On Demand.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Excerpt from the review of this film that was linked to many posts above (talks about the term 'Hobbit' too):

Lol!

10. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Check out Titanic II on Netflix sometime.. :rofl:
    I have to say, however, that War of the Worlds and WotW Part II weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be...

11. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Except legally they still can't get away with it. Homo floresiensis isn't actually called "hobbit" anywhere except informally, and Tolkien's estate has squawked about that too.

Good luck, Asylum. With your name, maybe you can try for the insanity defense.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Always annoyed me, as the donor. How am I supposed to find a better present next time when nobody tells me they didn't like the last one?

13. DonIago

If I'm not sure what someone wants I ask them, or try to go generic. Amazon gift cards work well.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always get gift cards for everyone on my list. As long as you do ten seconds of homework to find out where they like to shop, you literally can't lose.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually prefer to get gift cards. That way I can get what I want, and don't have to worry about somebody getting me the wrong thing.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

One review says "hobbit" isn't even mentioned in the movie.

17. DonIago

I keep a lengthy Amazon wishlist. All the benefits of knowing people will get you something you want while still surprising you to a point. As long as you keep items on it with a healthy range of prices.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The cover text actually explains the "real hobbits" definition before mentioning the dragons. :)

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw my first Asylum movie: Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies. I was curious to see whether it might be better than the movie it was ripping off (not inconceivable in this case).

Well maybe not, but it had two things to recommend it: "A man divided against himself cannot stand" (Abe explaining the usefulness of decapitation when fighting zombies) and an ending that was actually kinda touching.

It was fun seeing the Union and Confederate sides arguing over politics while zombie hordes were rampaging outside but Stonewall Jackson's beard was even worse than Thaddeus Stevens wig in Lincoln.

Speaking of Jackson, he was dead by the time the movie was set (post-Gettysburg) and I was hoping he'd turn out to be a zombie in a clever twist history buffs would get, but no such luck.

Verdict: not as horrible as I expected. Sorta fun, really, and showed more effort than strictly needed in a cheapo ripoff movie.

20. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I applaud Asylum for making movies and succeeding at getting people to buy and watch them. If you're not Sony, Universal, Fox or some other major player, this is very tough to accomplish.