Summer 2010 catalogue details

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Jan 7, 2010.

1. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

You know, this discussion is so interesting, I have had to ask myself why I wouldn't read them, so I guess I'll try to get them when they are released, just so I can participate in the inevitable discussions.

Release dates

Star Trek: Refugees
    May 25, 2010

Star Trek: Seek a Newer World
    June 29, 2010

Star Trek: The Hazard of Concealing
    June 29, 2010

Star Trek: More Beautiful Than Death
    July 27, 2010

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Right. For me, the cool thing was the mix of the familiar and the new. These were still the characters we know at their core, and it was a chance to explore the formative period of their relationships -- Kirk and Spock finding a balance, Spock and McCoy beginning to test each other out, Sulu and Chekov beginning to bond -- and yet there are fresh angles to explore, new elements spicing it up like Kirk's early command and edgier attitude, the Spock-Uhura relationship, a more comedic side to Scotty, and so on.

By the way, Greg, have you had a chance to read the manuscript to Seek a Newer World? There's one passage in there that might overlap a bit with what you're doing in Hazard, and I want to make sure there's no contradiction. If you haven't seen it, e-mail or PM me, please.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Thank you so much for this post. I've read quite a few popular books on quantum physics, relativity, etc, and this still managed to explain a couple things that I never understood before. I feel smarter.

4. snakespeare

Same here. Thanks, Christopher.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly, but that's why I specified "readers of the highly popular DS9 post-series novels", a drop in the ocean of people who'd go to see the movie. Less than 1%, according to some old Paramount calculations.

6. snakespeare

^which is probably a larger number than the TOS purists upset at the destruction of Vulcan.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Will do. Just sent you a PM.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

These are four books I am definitely buying. Looking forward to something to hold me over until the next movie.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Interesting date changes - wasn't the word from Shore Leave that it'd be Refugees in June, SANW in July, MBTD in August, and the then-untitled 4th book in September?

Which means presumably Typhon Pact will start a little earlier?

10. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

well, a June book would usually hit the street one or two weeks earlier, so it's not surprising to see it with a release date in May.

as for the months, my notes say June, July, Aug and Sept for Foster, Bennett, Mack and Cox. the SS website says May, Jun, July, Aug for the four books, but then the SS website also has Mack's The Sorrows of Empire as Dec 2009.

11. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quite frankly I think snakespeare has the dates wrong, since I doubt they would go back to two books in one month under the current editorial situation, even if it only was for one month.

12. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

^Actually, he doesn't. Those are the dates in the catalogue. However, I would trust the S&S website over the catalogue, to be honest. It agrees with the dates for the first three novels, but puts Hazard at August 31st.

13. Christopher

There's no contradiction there. A book with a June publication date will actually come out in mid- to late May. A book with a January publication date will actually come out in mid- to late December. I'm not sure why that is, but it's the way it works.

14. snakespeare

Perhaps there is an error in the catalog and the correct release date for The Hazard of Concealing is August 29th.

15. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

The reasoning was that a January release will be in all stores by January 1... which means they have to start shipping a couple of weeks before the first.

As to why the official release date of a book will be several days before the first of the month, that's because as more large book retailers started carrying music and videos, they pressed book publishers to adopt the music industry's practice of putting out all their new releases on Tuesday. And so you'll note from the list of dates above, they all match the Tuesday before the 1st of the following month... which of course pushes the shipping schedule as much as a week back in any given month.

Ironically, New Release Tuesday may be the only thing that survives the end of traditional music distribution.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As far as I know, HAZARD is coming out end of August/beginning of September.

Except for big deal stuff like HARRY POTTER, book publishing doesn't tend to be more precise than that! :)

17. snakespeare

^I guess I should have said the 31st then.

So the correction should read:

Release dates

May 25, 2010

June 29, 2010

July 27, 2010

August 31, 2010

18. Christopher

Actually it should read:

Release dates

late May, 2010

late June, 2010

late July, 2010

late August, 2010

Because except for huge things like Harry Potter, books don't have precise release dates. They just get shipped out a couple of weeks before the end of the month, as Bill said, and they show up whenever the stores get them in and manage to get them shelved.

19. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

You are correct of course, but for the record, the Kindle releases do have precise dates, and those dates are/will be the ones Snakespeare listed and Bill explained.

20. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

There is too, a Santa Claus!!! He came to my house and brought me all kinds of neat Trek stuff...and yes, I'll be reading all four of these books when they come out. Looking forward to them, in fact.

Byron