How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ryan123450, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well wasn't it fall during the proposal, "not two years later." So it could be fall 2014. That gives more wiggle room.

ETA: I guess Agent Richard said that on the last page too.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

enough wiggle room to have the child EXIST, but still disappointing. Engaged in fall of 2014, child by late 2015, so definitely very knocked up at the wedding. Unless they get married within a month of the proposal, I suppose...

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

The only evidence that it was Autumn during the proposal is the trees changing colors. Chances are that scene was filmed recently, and the current season is... Fall.

On top of that, the background was definitely green-screened. They weren't really standing atop a lighthouse.

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Unless the last two seasons take place in 2012...

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

That would make sense, since this season is just a continuation of the last episode from spring of 2012. Still...

Met in spring of 2012.

Not two years later, engaged. Call it fall of 2013, that's about a year and a half, which would fit the narrative.

Even with a very brief engagement, they get married by mid 2014 and assuming star wars was LATE 2015, it just works, and still involves almost a wedding night pregnancy. And that assumes a super fast engagement to make it work. It's not impossible, but after setting this as a big romantic narrative, a quick engagement and immediate knock-up is kinda disappointing.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The wedding takes place on May 25, 2013. It's not 2012.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

ha, crap. brain failed me there, just had it in my head 'that was last season' and subtracted a year :)

Ok, now we're screwed then.

Spring of '13 they meet. Not two years later, they get engaged. So, fall of '14? Year and a half, it fits. Gives them 15 months to get married and have a kid for the end of 2015. So, even if they get married almost immediately, it's quick.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a TV show people, that's all.

In the real world people have children, then maybe get married, then have a few more children out of wedlock. :lol:

9. Agent Richard07

I thought... Eh, another episode without the mother. Then she turned around. Nice twist with Barney having met her already. Then she goes and ruins his fun (and those pick-ups were fun and cleverly written I must say). They have to set her up as being someone special though, something that's been done well so far.

Was this episode connected to an earlier one?

10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'm betting the mother met (or will meet) them all before Ted

I'll make a flashback scene where Marshall scares her away so he'd win his bet, a few years back.

11. Agent Richard07

^ That's the plan.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Well it showed that Barney wrote 'The Robin' because of The Mother. If you recall 'The Robin' is the play that Barney uses to eventually propose to Robin. It also reveals why Ted is leaving for Chicago after the wedding, and it also showed why Marshall is so interested in Ted ending up with Robin. Yes it's because of the bet, but also because he wants him to be happy. It didn't really show us anything new, but it did reveal the why and hows of a few things that have come to pass.

I enjoyed this episode a lot. I was already liking it from the start because it was a nice break from this seasons format. I've always defended the new format, but it was nice having a break. I really loved that The Mother was instrumental in setting Barney on the path that lead him to propose to Robin, for some reason that was really touching to me.

Also, it took me about halfway through the episode to realize that Marshall and Ted were watching the Globetrotters play and rooting against them. That was a nice subtle joke.

13. Agent Richard07

^ Thanks. I could tell that these events were tied to a past episode but I don't have a detailed enough memory of what happened to really appreciate everything.

Something else hit me... Who would be grossed out by the idea of kissing Cobie Smulders? :alienblush:

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

This could have been easily the worst episode of the season up until the point where they re-introduced Bryan Cranston (and who didn't get a Walter White vibe in his short, angry moments? :lol:) and The Mother.

However i'm so sick of sad Ted without a partner.. it really grinds my gears now. Go introduce the Mother to him finally and have them start the relationship!

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It was a very refreshing change of pace to have a traditional non-wedding-set episode. And huge bonus points for Barney meeting Mother in the past and her changing his life! And for the return of Bryan Cranson! It was so weird to see him hamming it up after watching Breaking Dad haha

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, ted whining about not being with Robin again was so tedious, but the Barney plot was really good and funny. :)

So The Mother already knows Barney and Lilly.

Which is funny, cause in a way The Mother has put events into motion that will lead to her meeting Ted without even realizing it. :)

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At first I was thinking "Well this is stupid to do a flashback episode about a story that could have been told last season as a filler episode." But as the episode went on it became clear that this story could only be told as part of Season 9. This was the best episode since the season premiere.

18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't care for it until the Mother showed up, that part was very well done. It's funny about Bryan Cranston though, whenever I see him on anything I don't think of Breaking Bad, or Malcom in the Middle, I always see him as Tim Whately: the perverted, re-gifting, Judiasm converting (for the jokes) dentist on Seinfeld.

19. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I wonder if they are setting up Bryan Cranston for another appearance this season. His scenes this week were entirely filmed behind the desk at his office, and could have been shot anytime.

Essentially, he brought nothing to the role other than the fact that he's Bryan Cranston (i.e., they could have achieved the same effect by simply having Ted talk on his phone about a job in Chicago, without ever seeing who was on the other end of the line).

20. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Yeah, I think that was really just a 'Look who we got!' kind of thing with him. It's been so long since he's been on the show, I think that if it were any other actor they wouldn't have even bothered bringing them back.