Picture the Novelverse - Characters, Ships and More !

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Relayer1, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Am I doing something wrong? I can't link images anymore with the "Insert Image" button. After copy&pasting in the picture's web address, only a white X in a small black box appears. :confused:

2. Inactive-Shapeshifter

Inactive-Shapeshifter Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same thing happened here. I solved it by left-clinking in the picture and choosing "open image in new tab" and then posting the address from the new tab. :techman:

OBS: I'm using Chrome

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two new cover drafts by Cross Cult, and I guess one of them will end up on Therin's shelf. ;)

New Frontier: Stone and Anvil

[​IMG]

S.C.E.: No Surrender

[​IMG]

4. Markonian

Is there any image out there, fan-made or otherwise, depicting a Commonwealth jaunt ship?

5. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

6. Markonian

It's a variant of the known 22ndC design but with different pylons. I wonder whether this class could be reconciled with any of The Romulan War starship class names?

I can't post an image in this thread, so I'm going with a bare link: http://www.maddrax.de/bigpix.php?id=serie-pix-9088234168eb786ec7e78b3d8cac0601&w=580&h=700

Only TrekLit in the broadest sense - it's literature and it features Star Trek - nevertheless I'd like to share this gem.

The image is the cover of a novel, part of a German post-apocalyptic novel series called Maddrax.

In No. 44, roughly translating to By Their Own Rules, the titular characters Matthew Drax and Aruula come across a valley containing the descendants of Star Trek RPG players who take their game as reality. The beginning of an affectionate parody...

Blurb:
    Fashion of the future: The Kling and Andor players wear their masks all the time, whereas the Vulks and Roms only have pointed ears. Feds go without masks and make-up, but there's a green-painted female dancer during the current Con.

The novel was released in 2001, before ENT aired in Germany. I'd never seen or heard of the Andorians before and accepted that their masks are pink. Not only on the cover, but in the novel itself Andors are proud of their Pinkie Pie-pink skin. Now watch "The Andorian Incident" and enjoy the irony.

What's in a Name? : Do these names ring a bell? We've got Lemoy (Vulk), Manard (Rom), Johcos (Kling Sub-Emperor), Rolley (Kling ambassador), T'Russ (Vulk healer), Winell (Andor), Rinold (assistant of the Master), Sojak (founder of the Vulks' society, play on words on soya), Joalins (Willner's wife in the Village of the Dead, "killed" in a duell with a Kling), and Jayler (Fed swordmaster).

Take me to your leader: Captain Caligula Willner, Captain of the Truly United Federation of Really a Lot of Worlds; Imperator Morn, Protector of the Truth, Champion against Peace, Dog of War - of the Kling-Empire, Senator Den'by of the Rom-Imperium (she's a blonde); and Prefect Regder of the Empire of the Andors.

History/Society: The four empires call their canyon "the Quadrant". Their territories are divided by the Neutral Zone. There are two more notable entities: the Village of the Dead, and the Game Master. The latter is responsible for ensuring the correct application of the Rules by everybody. The other is the place where somebody goes when he or she loses all of their points. They are not allowed to interact with the "living" anymore.

Everybody carries dice and display their Values on their chest. Points are given to various talents, e.g. intelligence. The Master determines the Values by rolling the die upon birth, or - as in Matt's and Aruula's case - upon arrival in the Quadrant.

Members from different peoples are not allowed to have children with one another. Children of mixed heritage are sent to the Village of the Dead upon birth.

Every year, one of the peoples organizes the Con, where members of all species compete in various disciplines. Years before the events of the novel, the Vulks were weakened so much during a Con that then-Fed captain November assimilated the Vulks into the Feds. They still behave like Vulks but wear the colorful shirts of the Feds (see cover). Cons are the high point of the year, last three days and consist of Panels, Dealers, Filks and Fancys.

Dice are produced by the Andors and only purchasable on a Con. The Feds hold the 250th Con in 2521.

The Klings are always drunk and have mutated dogs, called doggs, as pets. They are considered violent, but every confrontation is solved with dice anyway. The Kling eat their worms, called !eek, alive. !eek is a dish best eaten cold.

Feds count the passage of time in "Moondates". At the time of the novel (the year 2517), we have Moondate 6710,17. The novels concludes a week later, still the same Moondate. Vulks behave logically and give a lot of percentages. Healers, like Doctor T'Russ, use salt shakers they wave over injured to determine their health. There are counselors - they listen but the only thing they're saying is "But I sense great anger and pain inside you."

A common insult is "Dumb Gorrn!". The pathway leading from the canyon to the outside world is called "interdimenional rift".

It's one of my all-time favorite novels in the Maddrax series. :rommie:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  7. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't recall if David ever described their configuration in greatly specific detail, so this could be way off, but ever since I saw this piece of concept art from Star Trek Online, this if how I've been picturing them (the ship in the dock):

[​IMG]

If you throw in a few more docks and swap out the planet for the disc of the Milk Way you've got Eribus Station too!

8. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I've pieced together, the jaunt ships have a slender, elegant forward section akin to a Sovereign (I picture something less circular than the Sovereign, less pointy than the Prometheus, perhaps akin to the Vesta), a ring structure supporting the jaunt drive itself (like on pre-Federation Vulcan ships) and familiar warp nacelles mounted on the sides of the ring.

9. Markonian

A silver Vesta with a ring completing the pylons!

10. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Commander Red Shirt

I'm currently retrofitting the USS Aventine (Vesta). The model is 6 years old now, so I thought it was time to clean it up a little. I'm streaming the progress on Twitch.tv (video only, so you can enjoy your own music.)

I stream my desktop view, so if you are curious how it's done, go and take a peek! :bolian: http://www.twitch.tv/yard2380

Disclaimer: "how it's done" is relative in my case. :)

11. Markonian

Thanks for sharing, Clawhammer!

The Vesta class is my favourite starship in Star Trek Online.

Also, in their cover preview for an upcoming German edition of a Voyager novel, Cross Cult identified B'Elanna's slipstream vessel with your Spirit-class starship.

12. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

So I have a confession: I've never been super keen on Sean Tourangeau's design for the USS Titan. It's not that I hate it, I'm just not super keen on it. (I think my preference is for elevated nacelles, like on the Constitution or Galaxy. I like the hanging nacelles on the Akira, but prefer it to be the exception rather than the rule.)

8 of 5 posted a link to this custom ringship design (you have to scroll down a little) on his tumblr and someone elsewhere online suggested it as a design for the Titan. You'd have to squint in a few places in Titan novels' text to make it work, and you'd have to square it with the fact that the rings are never mentioned. (Also, Christopher has posited some theories about Vulcan ringship warp theory that would make it more challenging to square with the depiction of the Titan and her voyages.)

Still, I really like the design. So, even if I can't make it work within the novelverse continuity, somewhere in the Trekmultiverse, this is what Captain Riker's ship looks like.

13. Markonian

I think it would made a good design for the free starship Titan in the mirror universe. :bolian:

14. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cross Cult has posted some new cover drafts, this time for the S.C.E. Foundations trilogy:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

What ship is that on the cover of Foundations, Book 3?

16. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

It looks like a kitbash of a Constitution with part of a Tellarite ship as its saucer. I'm assuming it's a placeholder.

17. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

The U.S.S. Chandley, a ship that is the test bed for new Kelvan engineering technology in the story, which takes place between The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan.

18. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like a TOS-ish Sabre-class.

19. Markonian

I hope its not a placeholder. Although the Tellarites aren't starship designers by themselves (ENT: A Choice of Futures) I always found them somewhat underrepresented.

Plus, the ship is a fine kitbash, Imho.

20. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Having the Chandley take inspiration from Tellarite ships (even if the Tellarites didn't originate the designs) would also make sense as a remnant of the five-component-fleets concept introduced in Rise of the Federation and clearly still in evidence to some degree in TOS (though the lines have blurred and it's on its way to being one fully integrated service). After all, I imagine the SCE would fall under maintenance and resupply, which is the purview of the Tellar Space Administration. :)