Supernatural Season 9 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Timelord Victorious, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Bloodlines was very CW-ish. Lots of good looking young people conniving against each other. The acting was pretty bad though the guy playing David was better than anyone else. I found it to be not great but not too bad. I'd probably check out a few episodes only because it's part of the Supernatural universe. If it was it's own thing I wouldn't even bother.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

...wait, that was an *actual* backdoor pilot episode? Honestly, the whole way through I thought they were doing a tongue-in-cheek pastiche on the whole spin-off story concept. Wow. For a second there I thought they were being clever, now I'm feeling disappointed...and more than a little stupid.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It probably doesn't help that they announced that this episode would be a backdoor pilot months in advance.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Not if I paid attention to such things, which in the case of this show I generally don't.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Count me in for those not very impressed with this would-be series.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Sadly, this was as bad as I feared. The casting is so great on Supernatural-- how did they go so wrong with this?

Forget this one. Bring me MoL, or the Golem, or Dorothy and Charlie, or Sheriff Mills, or....

7. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation
    RJDiogenes, that's exactly my problem with this premise as well. There's such a wellspring of ideas and concepts introduced in this show's long history, even going so far back as Samuel Colt, that I don't get why instead of tapping into it, they go once again into the well worn pastiche of CW's other dramas. Not only that, but it's a premise that basically shatters several layers of continuity (hunters not knowing about this, shifters shifting all clean-like, etc.) with its parent series.

Could it develop into something more compelling with time and a lot of tweaking? Possibly, but it's just too trite for me. The Originals, Being Human, Dresden Files, Grimm, Angel, Lost Girl and on and on. It may be a new series, but there's nothing really new about it. Adding hunters to the mix doesn't really change that.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Shifters shifting as easily as they did here happened before this episode, so I can't really blame "Bloodlines" for that one.

As for why they went with a concept that's so similar to the CW's usual shows, I imagine it's probably because the network had some influence on it. If this episode was intended as a backdoor pilot, then of course the network would want this prospective series to be something that's more in line with their standard formula.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sheriff Mills is easy.

She goes on a date, it's a monster. She goes on another date it's another monster, and the next date too, more fricking monsters. When she eventually figures out that if ever she goes out on a date that it's always a monster, well it doesn't exactly seem difficult to work out how to turn a tidy profit from selling all these people eater's possessions after she beheads them.

10. Enterprise is Great

This interview talks about how Bloodlines came about.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yup. So much to choose from, and they ignore it all....

12. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you'd think that a show titled Colt would draw a crowd...;)

13. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yawn...Well, that was a waste of my time. Count me out of watching the spin-off (if it actually happens). At least Supernatural is back to normal next week...

14. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Aww, Crowley has some compassion after all, especially when it comes to his son, whom Abbadon plucked from the past and held as a bargaining chip. I was certain Crowley wasn't going to cooperate fully with Abbie, and she knew he couldn't be trusted either, but she wanted to destroy the First Knife. Well, now she's out of the picture. The episode should have been titled Return of the King. :)

I liked Commander Castiel's operations base. Very covert! Next week? Suicide angel bombers. :lol:

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't demons have more powers than push? Abaddon could've just snapped Dean's neck. I guess there'd be no more show if the supernatural beings just treated humans like, well, humans.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The mark/blade either made him specifically resistant to demon magic or geometrically tougher and stronger on a basic level.

She probably tried to juice him and couldn't.

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

With the Mark of Cain and the Blade, that makes Dean a Knight of Hell. They are supposed to be the baddest of the bad---the bouncers of the Hell club. So, if Dean can be tough enough to take out Abaddon, would he also be able to take out Crowley, or will he end up serving Crowley, as a knight serves the ruler of hell? Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Oh, and I loved the bit where Sam & Dean good cop/bad cop the dumbass angel. I liked that they didn't go for the usual torture scene.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

In case you haven't heard, Supernatural: Bloodlines didn't make the cut and won't be joining the fall schedule.

19. Enterprise is Great

I'm not surprised. It was nearly panned by all Supernatural fans. Back to the drawing board CW.

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yay. Now I can skip the backdoor pilot episode and pretend that all of this was a very bad dream.