Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance Discussion, Pics etc Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance Discussion, Pics etc Till Relea

Dropping two slots is not unusual, especially when there were 4 new wide release openers. That it managed to maintain a position of 6 is actually quite good.
    It's drop of 60% is the standard low end for genre film drops that are fanboy front-loaded.

If it had held in the top 5 then the real surprise would've been how a Tyler Perry movie(which always opens $15-25m) disappointed. Cause Act of Valor was tracking for $25m.

It's not unusual for most films in late winter to only be in the top ten for 4 weeks, with exception of course.

2. Captain Craig

The international numbers are coming in now and it opened #1 in several markets including Russia. And held for #1 in back-to-back weeks in Brazil!!
    The worldwide total is now up to $83.2m and the international portion of it's tally is now the dominant side of the equation.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like I'm going to be right about it dropping out of the top ten in two or three weeks...just saw it is in ninth right now, just ahead of "The Artist". I think GR is at 44 million domestically. I understand it is doing better overseas...kind of reminds me of "The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader". I kind of expected this to be frank. The interest simply is not there. One more weekend and it will be fully pushed out. How long was "Green Lantern" in the top ten for? I've forgotten now.

4. Captain Craig

No one disputed the 3-4 weeks that GR:SOV would be in the top 10 though. So is there really a victory?
    Green Lantern was in the top 10 for 4 weeks. Had the benefit of opening #1 and being a summer film. So the three weeks for GR not opening #1 and being a winter film make this more normal than anything. Most films that open #1 or 2 stay in the top 10 for about a month this time of year +/- a week, with a few exceptions.

GR:SOV managed to pull it's total to almost $45m(I'm hoping it goes up with actuals) domestic which given it's start is well and proves it didn't collapse. Plus with it's great international numbers the verdict is still out on what Sony's options are. When the international numbers are updated on Tuesday I fully expect it's worldwide total to be over $100m. On a $57m budget options are in play.

5. Admiral_Young

This isn't a victory, I'm just patting myself on the back for making a correct prediction ;) I said earlier that I hoped it did well, but didn't see there being interest there. Winter blockbuster films do struggle (unless they're juggernaut movies like Bond or Potter, etc) , you're correct about that as well. My point though throughout this whole process is that there didn't seem much point in doing this movie, other than for it to be another film to help out Nic Cage's financial situation. There was very little hype or buzz surrounding this film, I still don't remember seeing many press junkets or even interviews online with the cast and crew. I think Idris Elba did one recently, and of course Cage probably did a few, but other than that for a typical blockbuster you get a deluge of coverage and media depending on what it is.

6. Captain Craig

International receipts were added to the tally today from last weekend bringing the films WorldWide total up to $103.4m overall.

It's probably got another $5-6m left in the tank domestically and at least double that internationally, maybe more cause the reception globally has been a bit stronger.

Watching it's tally is an exercise in figuring out what Sony may want to do overall. Will it do a sequel, wrap a trilogy if you will. Do a reboot, let it sit another 4-5yrs or just let it go back to Marvel? The film is going to hit that 2x budget point that for a film like this puts the options on the table. Wouldn't be the first film to slightly underperform domestically but do well enough internationally to force action of some form on another film.

7. Captain Craig

The film has now crossed $50m US domestic.
    It's international tally has it at a more cushy looking $122.5m from it's $57m budget.
    While no doubt a bit of an underperformer domestically, but not an outright disaster, it's overall picture should prove to provide options for Sony.
    Will DVD sales be much to look at? Can't think they will be much of a factor but will be interesting to see those come in as well.

Will they do another with Cage, thus completing a trilogy?
    Will they let it lay fallow and try again in a few years? I think good stories are there for the character they just haven't realized that on screen.
    Will they let it go back to Marvel who likely has little interest in it for the foreseeable future. They are letting their other street cred heroes like Blade and Punisher sit fallow instead focusing on things Avengers and Cosmic related.

I'm torn, it'd be nice to do a trilogy I suppose if only because that's an industry type norm. Then I'd also like to see new creative juices try again at Sony.
    I just think if it goes back to Marvel it'll be a long, long time before GR surfaces again with a fair shake.

8. Admiral_Young

Captain Craig...Punisher and Blade aren't really sitting...Marvel Studios has plenty of projects in development or in development hell right now, or more likely in a holding pattern until after "Avengers" comes out. They do have a post "Avengers" plan...we just don't really know what it is at the moment.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have they officially announced any new IPs starting up after Avengers yet? I know they've announced sequels to most of the pre-Avengers stuff, but I can't remember if they've officially announced anything that isn't a sequel.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So far the only announced post-Avengers films are Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 in 2013. Apparently Marvel has locked up the weekend of May 16, 2014 (since Sony already grabbed the May 2 weekend), but AFAIK they haven't announced what movie will be released in that spot. My guess would be Captain America 2. It'd be cool to see a new hero, or a new Hulk movie, later in 2014.

11. Captain Craig

^^
    True. Marvel has no immediate plans for anything that isn't Avengers related. At best they've mentioned Dr.Strange, Ant-Man keeps getting brought up(again Avenger related) and some gumblings of Guardians of the Galaxy. Street level heroes like GR are not going to see the light anytime soon.
    Which is why I think it curious to see what Sony may do with the property.
    A great movie is waiting to be told, Sony just did manage it either time.

12. Admiral_Young

They've also mentioned a whole slew of B and C level characters they have "plans" for at some point. "Black Panther", "Iron Fist", "Luke Cage", "Sub-Mariner". There have been rumours about "Black Widow" and "Hawkeye" solo films (nothing substantiated though of course) and Sam Jackson has confirmed that there are plans for a "Nick Fury: Agent of Shield" type movie down the road of course.

@Captain Craig....GR2 is available for pre-order!

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Rider-V...1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1332715789&sr=1-2