Thomas Edison crime fighter? NBC pilot in development

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Enterprise is Great, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. I would kill to be remembered by posterity as a crime-fighting wendigo . . . .

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was going to suggest the History Channel but, if they made the movie, Edison would construct all his inventions in the back of pawn shop.

3. Greg Cox

Actually, History had a huge success with "Hatfieds and McCoys" so they're probably open to more historical miniseries. Whether they'll go for a gripping drama about a famous inventor is another story! :)

Wanna bet they're thinking about the Shoot-Out at the OK Corral? Or maybe Little Big Horn?

4. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do find it interesting that General Electric has a 49% stake in NBC, and General Electric was the company that Thomas Edison started. It's the set up for the ultimate product placement as Edison will probably spend time talking about how great his company is.

5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

And they'll probably gloss over the fact that Edison's rival, George Westinghouse, was right in promoting AC (alternating current), while Edison's direct current was a technological dead end.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's next? HG Wells as a time travelling female adventurer? Winston Churchill and Daleks? Mark Twain on the Enterprise? Amelia Earhart in the Delta Quadrant? Madness!

I agree probably a missed opportunity to use the cooler Tesla. After all, no show has ever featured him prominently.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Mark Twain, the time traveler. Err...

8. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

Here's an idea for a show: WHEN NBC WASN'T CRAP, Starring Grant Tinker as himself, now a time traveller who travels AHEAD three decades in time to find out what the hell happened to his once-proud network...and eliminate all imbecilic reality shows from the face of the Earth. Co-starring the old, younger, funny version of Jay Leno.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This just in: NBC casts Idris Elba as Thomas Edison. :devil:

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Love it! But maybe he was pursuing master criminal Edgar Allen Poe, and gets sucked into the present by the end of the pilot? That'd really help with the whole budget thing.

And this is before he grew the bushy mustache, right? We can't have that in there, but maybe his criticising other peoples' mustaches can be a running gag. It shows our intelligence and respect for history. That, and his all-white wardrobe. Hey, how about this: because of a terrorist attack by JD Salinger, the police precint has to commandeer and relocate to... a creaky old steam-wheel riverboat. Fantastic. It's always nice to give a highbrow product such as this an extra sheen of class from time to time.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^No, no, no, It's a special police taskforce that has setup in a creaky old steamboat ala Nash Bridges.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Not forgetting Elvis and (a black) JFK living in a retirement home, fighting an evil Mummy.

He is prominent in the movie The Prestige, though.

13. Greg Cox

Or Sigmund Freud teaming up with Sherlock Holmes. Or H. G. Wells chasing Jack the Ripper through time.

(Nicholas Meyer probably helped kicked off this whole trend with both THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION and TIME AFTER TIME.)

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

The difference being that those were actually both good movies :D

But yeah, a Tesla series would be cool. Have David Bowie reprise his role from The Prestige.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh no, it would have to be a twentysomething Tesla! :D early 30s at the oldest.

Judging from his photo, the best match in looks is...Milo Ventimiglia!

For the villainous Edison, I nominate...Matthew Fox!

16. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Note to NBC: Screw Edison.

THIS! :cool:

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was being facetious about Sanctuary which I only saw a few episodes but I'm pretty sure Tesla was in it.

18. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Actually, they'll make Tesla the partner in crime fighting who actually solves all the cases. Edison will just take all the credit.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Dammit. Did I not specify that it was a "special police taskforce" in the steamboat? I meant to type "special profiling/superscience examining/paranormal division police taskforce". Missed my morning coffee. :p

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Warehouse 13 has had H.G. Wells (a woman whose brother posed as the author of her books) as a time traveling agent, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, M.C. Escher, and Philo Farnsworth as designers of the warehouse and/or its tech (the guns are called Teslas and the audio/video communicators Fansworths), so it would be cool to get a Steampunk prequel series in the vein of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and The Wild Wild West starring various historical figures.