Star Trek Continues, Episode 5....

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

From what little we know STC's Ep. 5 has already been filmed. From that we can assume they are working on the post production. Also from what has been said awhile back Ep. 5 is supposedly a planet based, offship story (STC's first) and possibly filmed onsite.

What we don't know is any target date for release or even any general idea. I do think it's likely we'll see it released this year and possibly in the fall. I hope so.

We also have no idea of even a title for the episode or if it's more of an adventure type story as opposed to the much more introspective type character piece we got with "The White Iris."

2. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

They showed a brief teaser at Phoenix Comicon. While they want to keep the story under wraps and asked that the audience not spoil the premise, I can tell you that it looks like a great adventure. I'm really looking forward to this one.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Any hints as to when the episode might be released?

4. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's what I think we know so far (other than whatever was in the teaser):

Shot in the studio in January and on location in February.
    Kirk wears the green wraparound tunic aboard the ship and some undisclosed other type of garb on the planet.
    Probably more Andy Farber music.
    No Palmer in the episode.
    Release later this year.

Not much to go on. :)

5. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

They didn't have a firm release date, but one of the producers said it would probably be fall.

6. JE Smith

JE Smith Commander Red Shirt

Am I the only one who HATES the green wraparound tunic? I hated it when Shatner wore it, and I don't get why so many fan filmmakers are so infatuated with it. I guess it's because I'm such a HUGE fan of the regulation gold-blue-red shirts, but I always think the green thing looks too much like leisure wear.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've always liked the first season version of the green tunic better. But I certainly don't dislike the second version.

8. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't quite hate it, but I understand what you're saying. It makes me think surely they could have done better. Guess I've gotten used to it over the years.

9. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the problem with the green wraparound is that it is Kirk's and Kirk's alone. Other than that one appearance on Charlie Evans in a suede-ish incarnation, this uniform is anything but. If fan film makers want to use it, they should perhaps show the occasional red or blue wraparound on other crewmembers as well, if for no other reason than to reinforce the internal logic of the thing.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Kirk wore it in "The Enemy Within" as well. So it made two appearances during the early first season.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  11. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

He wore it in "Court Martial" and he packed it in his suitcase in "This Side of Paradise."

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Oops! That's right. So it made four appearances in Season 1.

How many appearances did the second season version make?
    I recall "Journey To Babel," "The Trouble With Tribbles," "The Doomsday Machine," "Mirror, Morror," "The Immunity Syndrome," "The Apple," "Wolf In The Fold" and "I, Mudd."

13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk also wore the first-season wrap in "CharlieX" when Charlie first beams aboard the Enterprise and on the bridge in later scenes.

I own the Anovos replica of that uniform — it's my favorite uni. Unlike the second season version, the first-season wrap is a much more structured garment with darts to give it more shape.

14. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I'm curious about whether or not the criticisms on the persistent continuity callbacks & TNG-style technobabble were being addressed early enough in the year for episode 5 to have fixed that somewhat? Or has most of that been addressed in the wake of The White Iris?

15. JE Smith

JE Smith Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I completely agree that the S1 version was a better-looking garment. It's not bad at all. But it's the S2 version that most fan films are emulating. Okay, maybe "hate" is too strong a word -- but I genuinely dislike the S2 tunic. It just looks like something he'd wear to the gym rather than on the bridge. :/

Sorry for derailing the thread. Despite "White Iris" being my least-favorite STC story thus far, I'm really looking forward to them actually making planetfall in Ep.5. :)

16. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I've always preferred the season 2 green wraparound. I just think it's losing it's "specialness" since every single TOS captain now seems to HAVE to wear one... it was used to pretty good effect in New Voyage's "In Harm's Way" teaser, and I liked that Garrovick wears one in The Tressaurian Intersection," but I'm over it now. Just seems to feed that "let's play dress-up" mentality that is both engendered in the fan films but also which the fan films want to get away from.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

We'll have to wait and see. I wouldn't be surprised if the practice is continued in Episode 5 given it was filmed (and possibly written) around the same time as Episode 4. Then again we might be pleasantly surprised. I hope so.

The continuity callbacks are very fannish and strike me as unprofessional. The TNG style technobabble just feels totally wrong in a production that's supposed to evoke the feel of the TOS episodes.

18. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Yes, you've said so. Many times.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and if you don't like it then pass on by.

20. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I always thought that variant was reserved for captains and above. It does help set the captain off visually from other crew-members, both because of the style difference and the more "true-green" hue vs. the "stealth" green of the gold tunic.

I don't remember ever seeing Kirk wear it when he beamed down, however. Garrovick does on Exeter, though.