The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Also, being able to see the added detail in the Klingon makeup is awesome. You can really see the amount of detail that was put into it, right down to the textures.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This looks totally awesome. The 4-footer doesn't look too bad either.

3. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dunno, I think it's OK. My current wallpaper. Swoop!

5. JarodRussell

Seriously? This is one of the coolest shots they did.

Anyone know if they actually added the transition from the model to Picard standing behind the window in that shot?

I also love the enhanced color timing. The original shot looks awful in comparison:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x01/farpoint1_015.jpg

6. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

You misunderstood my post. The previous person was lamenting the loss of the beautiful model work, should TNG replace some of the shots. I was simply pointing out that that model work could still be seen in the TOS movies from which they were lifted. Not that they could use those elements from that source.

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The entire sequence is a great one, but the shots at the beginning don't really work since you're seeing the Enterprise-D from probably the worst angle it's ever been filmed in before it moves into better looking angles.

8. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

This is definitely the same matte painting. Here's the same frame from the DVD:

[​IMG]

The stars in the background are different and the glow of the atmosphere has been added, the rest is the original footage.

I really like this cleaned up shot and the fact that it will appear as Vulcan in several later episodes:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/tng_planets.htm

Jörg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  9. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I'd really like to know how they approached season 1 of the whole remaster project.
    After doing Encounter at Farpoint", "Sins of the Father", “The Inner Light” for the TNG-R sampler Blu-ray to get a product out in Q1 2012...
    Did they continue with season 1 in order next working on
    #102 The Naked Now
    #103 Code of Honor
    #104 The Last Outpost
    #105 Where No One Has Gone Before
    #106 Lonely Among Us

I'd really like to know what the process was. Was each episode scanned on the telecine and then reconformed to the original edit and then meetings held to determine how to approach each visual effects (VFX) shot in each episode and determining what work was needed and sending the shots off to the VFX people?
    Since we all can expect Star Trek: TNG - Season One remastered in HD in September or November 2012...
    Is Mr. Drexler allowed to say if they are already working on season 2 of TNG-R?
    Is he allowed to say anything about special features for the season 1 set to be released this year?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I got no idea.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  11. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I was reading the comments at TrekMovie and it really annoyed me at the complaining over this being pillarboxed. Reminds me of folks who complained about letterboxing back in the old days. The idea is to preserve the original broadcast - artificially widescreening removes part of the image (or worse distorts what's there). It's just as odious as pan-and-scan. if you don't like it, don't buy it and let serious fans enjoy it.

Alex

12. jefferiestubes8

Considering one of the other veteran guys was brought in (announced via blog) just last month tells us they need these guys for season 1 and beyond. The TNG-R Next Level sampler disc out in 2 weeks is just to get a product out in Q1 and have fan buzz for a release in Q3 or Q4 2012. It also means that the powers that be did not realize how much work was involved and needed the guidance of the original creative team.
    To do the work of 25 episodes is months of work. Sure the locating, and telecine of the shots with 10 second handles from the 35mm film is pretty straightforward with some shots lost as we already know such as the 12 seconds in the sampler.
    After the film is scanned and shots are reconformed to the original edit the hard work really starts. VFX additions, compositing, color correction, sound remixed to 7.1 surround sound, and final conform for each episode.

Season 2 of TNG will begin work immediately it would seem since it was said that all the episodes of TNG were getting the HD remaster treatment. They don't have a publicly released timeline yet as I think it depends on when STXII is released at the cinema to use it as a strategy to keep the Star Trek brand name out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  13. Savage Dragon

I didn't think they used matte paintings when it came to creating planets. As I understood it they created a digital painting that was then wrapped around a sphere in a 3d program which output it in SD.

Of course I could be completely wrong.

14. gaghyogi49

Planets were done in several different ways, Mike Okuda told me some weeks ago. This is one of the planets were a painting was created.

15. JarodRussell

I just wonder why the original transfer from film to video was so incredibly blurry.

16. jefferiestubes8

analog videotape and the standard definition camera on the telecine machine back in 1987.

17. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In that I am disappointed. The planets across the board, but ESPECIALLY in Seasons 1 and 2 needed to be replaced completely. TOS-R, for what many call its faults in the CG department, gave us amazing-looking planets. I would prefer using those to the curved projections in low-res we got in TNG any day.

18. Savage Dragon

Ah. That explains it then.

19. gaghyogi49

I am sure the other planets will be replaced (just like Qo'noS in "Sins of the father"). Deneb IV however was a painting, and as you can see, keeping it was the right choice because all the tiny details can finally be fully seen.

The first planet seen after Deneb IV is Ligon II in "Code of honor". I'm sure it will be redone and will look spectacular.

20. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is kind of annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.