Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Seems to me like they've eliminated the count-down for shutting down undermanned warzones? I swear the Republic always has a two-man advantage at the beginning of every lv 50 match now. As a result, getting battlemaster gear has turned into such a slog as well, just holding out long enough to earn at least one medal and a couple dozen measly commendations, time after time. And we almost never fill out, cause people just keep dropping out after it becomes clear we'll lose badly. I wish pvp was cross-server, and had more brackets, based on gear-level past 50.

I'm still unclear as to the best way to get ops-ready, and I don't wanna ask in my guild 'cause I'm afraid of the "do dailies" answer. I've done some, and still haven't figured out which ones drop mods and enhancements. And I don't want that question to be taken too seriously, cause they're super into ops, and I'm just like hey, I could give that a shot, maybe once. So as a skeptic I'm looking for the road of least resistance. Besides, I remained a tank cause I like that in PVP, and they don't really need any more of those, so I sense I'm a bit of a red-headed step-child over there.

This assassin of mine is at 18k hp after applying the bh buff I've unlocked. He wears several crit-rolled oranges, with used augment slots, of course. All my oranges, not just crits, have mission-support armorings and the occasional purp lv 49 mod/enhancement. I also have columni bracers, a couple black talon HM drops, battlemaster and recruit implants. As you can see I'm all over the place.

I can't help but feel that full battlemaster, with the expertise boosts and set-bonus, would improve my enjoyment of PVP, but dunno how useful that would be for HMs and ops. My guildmaster, who doesn't do PVP, has a gearing guide that's exclusively about the dailies, so I'm uncertain if his thing best takes advantage of what's available in the game. If I get decked out in all battlemaster for the set-buff, would inserting the more powerful mission support armorings break the set? How about if I put battlemaster mods in a different orange I like better and also has an augment slot? Is the only way to get the buff regardless of mods to buy the schematics and crit-craft my own?

Does one get black hole gear by finishing the weekly? Why do the stats on war hero gear seem worse than battlemaster? Why would someone turn in 200 dailies for something when a more powerful item in the same slot is obtainable with 600 warzone (weeks as opposed to hours of gameplay)? I realize that's a lot of questions. :)

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got my first character to lvl 49 and have enjoyed the Jedi Knight story. Also enjoyed the recent world event, though I didn't know about it until late so I didn't get the full benefit.

3. Whizzer

Whizzer Commander Red Shirt

Disclaimer:
    I play a Sith Sorcerer in nearly full rakata in a casual guild. Still working on EC, but we mostly run EC/KP HM to have some fun.
    That said:
    1) No, Armourings do not hold the the Set-Bonus in SWTOR until you get to the latest Tier. They are on the armour "shell" and not movable. So switch away with the mission support armourings on your BM Gear.
    2) Black Hole gear can be obtained by doing the weekly quest on Corellia (easy), the weekly Rakghoul FP quest (hard) and doing Ops, notable EV or KP Nightmare or the new one Explosive Conflict.
    3) Crit crafted orange gear is superior because it gets an Augment and this means a plus to your main stat. Putting Rakata mods into a orange with an augment gets you something like +18 of you main stat, compared to the Rakata original.
    Drawback is that you loose the set bonus.
    Campaign gear has its bonus on the armouring, which makes crit orange gear + augment + campaign mods the "Best In Slot" item.
    4) I think the fastest way to get PVE gear as a tank is to get on a guild run EV HM as off-tank. Not much in the way of mechanics there, and you can get a lot of Rakata if your lucky.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I just realized that bioware missed the obvious option for a relation in the legacy tree. Clone.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Do they at least have "non-identical twin separated at birth"? ;)

6. sojourner

^Shockingly, no.

7. sojourner

Ah, finally got my balance Sage to the talent that reduces the cool down on Telekinetic Throw to zero. It rocks. Just mowing down mobs.

8. O'Dib

I went practically HM ops ready in one night. A buncha of the HM geared guildies ran a couple of us n00b geared ones through normal EV and KP to show us the ropes I guess, cause it looks like I'll be expected to tank them for a future group of inductees. Turns out ops are pretty fun (anything in this game is, the first few times) and I do alright following instructions, but I'm not sure about being the one who needs to keep all this shit in mind. Anyway, super pleased there were people around willing to put in all that work, 'cause this means I now have a monster viable tank for PVP, having skipped grinding both battlemaster and dailies. Pubs are still nigh-unbeatable though, what with so many more of them specing heals. This assassin is by far the funnest toon I've rolled, so I'm thinking I probably won't even graduate my other 2 50s from the leveling guild to the endgame guild for the time-being.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It took a few weeks, but that free SWTOR weekend has gotten me itching at another go at classic KOTOR...unfortunately after installing it on Steam I find it no longer works. And by not work I mean it instantly crashes to desktop or full on BSODs my PC. Never had this trouble the last time I played it and the only thing I can think of is that I've upgraded my Nvida graphics drivers at least once since I last played it.

Anyone have a clue how to get around this? I don't particularly fancy rolling the drivers back just for the sake of one game!

10. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

You can try to set swconfig.exe to Run As Administrator. If that doesn't work, try this suggestion.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Thanks, but that looks more like a fix for Win7 users, I'm still only running XP. I'll give it a try though!

[Edit] I tried installing that, but it said I already have a newer version installed. As for the other steps, I tried those already when I first went a googleing and no joy.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a bad install.

Game should have no problems on a XP machine.

There could also be something wrong with the OS itself.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Can't be a bad install as I had steam verify the cache and it came up clean...then I deleted and reinstalled just to make sure and still no difference. Can't see how it's the OS since that hasn't changed since the last time I played it. It's got to be the newer nvida drivers methinks. I'll be buggered if I know how to get around that though!

14. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I see from your other thread that you must have gotten it to work. What was the trick?

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I installed it on my laptop instead. ;)

Honestly, I still can't figure out why it's BSODing my desktop machine. They're both running XP and the only difference I can think of is my GPU. But what's really confusing is that I've actually been able to get KOTOR2 to work on my desktop PC. You'd think they'd either both have a problem, or not at all.

16. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Justed ordered SWTOR as a reward to myself for enrolling in school (time will tell how counter-productive that will turn out to be). Anyway, the general consensus seems to be good to great.

Looking forward to it.

17. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I can recommend Jedi Covenant as a good server. A good population of Republic and Empire.

18. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I looked for that server and it had a high population, so I passed on it. I can't recall which one I went with though. I started out with a Zabrak Jedi Knight and I'm 16th level now. Just got my starship and travelled to Ord Mantell. Loving it so far.

19. sojourner

^You WANT a server with a high population. Trust me. start over before you get too far.

20. O'Dib

Yeah. I thought wait times on servers were gonna keep up past day one, so I went into one with none. 5 months later the place is even more of a dead zone. The kinda place I suspect won't be helped much by group finder in 1.3. Namadii Corridor, pffffft. I suggest finding an alternate hyperspace route from Coruscant to Bilbringi. :shifty:

Last edited: May 24, 2012