The Nearly-Disastrous Start to the David Tennant Era

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by TJ Sinclair, Aug 12, 2013.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

"Rarely mundane"? Are you kidding? The series starts in a junkyard!

ISOBEL: "Hey! That's a jolly outfit. Would you mind posing for me?"

YATES: "Fancy a dance, Brigadier?"
    BRIGADIER: "It's kind of you, Captain Yates. I think I'd rather have a pint."

"My father, he was a cane cutter. "
    "Exactly. Now, if no one had used sugar, your father wouldn't have been a cane cutter."
    "If this sugar thing had never started, my great-grandfather wouldn't have been kidnapped, chained up, and sold in Kingston in the first place. I'd be an African."

2. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see how John Hurt is stunt casting in anyway - its a big role that needs a very good actor. No different from casting Derek Jacobi, Simon Callow or David Morrissey.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Actually yes she is, and as an actress she's far from being the worst actress in the show's histroy. Know what else she is, succesful and has been so since the late 1980s. She might not be your taste, but she has talent.

As for stunt casting, I know it's terrible. Hale and Pace, Nicolas Parsons, John Cleese, the Beatles...I do wish RTD and Moffat would stop this, it never happened in the old show you know...

sorry the blackness? I never bought Freema's race into it, she just doesn't have much of a screen presense. Noel Clarke is black but he never blended into the background because he has presense.

4. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In what universe does Noel Clarke have more screen presence in Doctor Who than Freema Agyeman? Not the one I know, certainly. Martha was more dynamic, interesting and charismatic in her first episode than Mickey was in two seasons of the show.

That's not to say that Noel Clarke is a bad actor, just that he couldn't do much with the shit he was given. That being said, he managed to have more presence in his two scenes in Into Darkness than the majority of the film's cast, including Cumberbatch. Again, writing.

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

6. VDCNI

Huh? They only cast one singer and had a few celebs in cameos, casting hasn't changed.

Plus Kylie is long down the list of problems with Voyage Of The Dammed.

7. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

A: Despite junkyards being a weird places, that episode was indeed from a more RTD/Pertwee point of view before entering the TARDIS. After that point they mostly went to complete, new settings instead of just stuff coming at their place like often with Pertwee and RTD. The PoV character thing though, was there too until Leela (?), but that has nothing to do with how mundane the stuff is we're looking at.

B,C: Dunno what those are. Doesn't seem much at all?

D: That sounds like it might have been a common discussion when the episode was made but I don't think slavery's really mundane at all, nor really the thing 7 was getting at.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. Konata Izumi

Donna's actor was a talk show host and Rose's was another singer, but I won't judge her acting as I was not interested in the character she was playing, it might have been spot on.

9. VDCNI

Catherine Tate was never a talk show host and Billie Piper had long given up singing for acting.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What a terrible point you're making. Yes, I do wish RTD and Moffat would stop it because it was shit and annoying in the old show too.

11. Konata Izumi

I see! Sketch comedy then though.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's not the end of the world though is it, if we see McFly for a few seconds?

Do you even know what you're talking about? Tate was acting on Tv in the early 90s, and didn't even start doing stand up until years later, and why the hell shouldn't people change job role? Should Brad Pitt have stayed a model, should Harrison Ford have stuck to carpentry? People can have more than one string to their bow, and there are plenty of singers who become actors, and vice versa. I'm not the greatest Piper fan in the world, but her acting output is far more substantial than her tiny output as a pop star, and most people barely even know she ever had some hit records.

13. Konata Izumi

No?

14. VDCNI

She's trained and worked as an actress first and even if she didn't the list of comedians who have taken serious roles is a long one.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Why does everyone keep pointing at Kylie, as if she's the only singer cast? Wasn't Billie Piper a Pop Singer?

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And doesn't John Barrowman also sing...

17. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep, some awful stuff he sings.

If you want to venture back into the classic series, Sophie Aldred (Ace) also sang.

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Nitpicking aside, the show has always been interested in modern society and the contemporary world, has constantly be providing us with the point of view of ordinary people, has persistently shown us the everyday life of British people of all creeds. It's always been part of the formula and in my opinion, denying it is as absurd as it is futile.

19. Konata Izumi

Maybe it did find ordinary conversations a little more exciting than many sf shows. I didn't get much information about people though other than that they tend to be either bored at work or angry, unless they're some kind of professors. I think it's mostly just setting a bored mood though, when not plot set-up.

20. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

Yes.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2-bGYOmLo[/yt]