Did Kirk Have Spock's Katra?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by austen_pierce, Sep 8, 2013.

1. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, after Spock rescues Kirk from Rura Penthe, the two devise an elaborate ruse to draw Valeris into revealing herself as the head operative aboard Enterprise. I have a couple of problems with this, most of which can be explained away following the mind meld. Did they ever get the rest of the operatives? How did they know Valeris was running the show and not just another pawn / assassin? Anyway, what I really want to know of at least get your perspectives on is whether or not Spock transferred his Katra into Kirk as a precautionary measure lest the assassin decide to shoot first. After all, Spock does say "you must shoot, if you are logical", leading me to think that by that time he suspected Valeris. Kirk says "I'd rather you didn't" looking like death warmed over himself, which is understandable given that he'd been on the prison asteroid. But I've also wondered if Kirk's statement is more telling. Was he at the time carrying Spock's Katra? Did his words then really mean hat he'd rather not undergo a repeat of TSFS?

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Interesting question. I don't think so because both he and Kirk already seemed to have an idea of Valeris' involvement in the conspiracy (Kirk's log entry being used at trial; Valeris' questions to Spock about turning points). Spock didn't seem surprised that Valeris had come to sickbay to kill the crewmen but disappointed. That could suggest Spock would have prepared for his death ahead of time, but I think his statement about Valeris shooting him because it was logical that she follow through on what she'd committed to was more an observation than it was a dare. He already knew she wouldn't do it.

--Sran

3. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

That is my impression as well.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I can't see Spock dropping his katra into someone else every time he planned on doing something dangerous.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Nurse Chapel has Spock's katra when Henoch destroys the globe containing Spock's essence in "Return to Tomorrow". (Of course, then we didn't know it was called a katra.)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Agreed. And I think people need to keep something in mind. When Spock gave his katra to McCoy in TWOK, he knew he was going to die. He'd already made the decision to sacrifice himself to save the Enterprise while on the bridge (you can see him pause just before he leaves his station). Transferring the katra to McCoy was his way of closing the loop. It's not something he would do every time he entered into a dangerous situation.

--Sran

7. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

True. I had forgotten about that.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's been a long time since I saw that one, but the transfer wasn't done by Spock, was it?

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The transfer was offscreen. Sargon did it to trick Henoch.