tabletop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Obiwansolo18, May 2, 2013.

1. Obiwansolo18

Obiwansolo18 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am a huge board gamer, not monopaly, i mean like small world, ticket to ride, and erc. I was wondering if anyone else plays board games. I know star trek catan came out last year and was pretty big hit. Its an awesome version of catan, changes the whole game in complex way. im huge fan of playing board game apps too. Anyone else enjoy board games.

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I play board games about once a week and the same goes for table top RPGing.

We get in quite a bit of Twilight Imperium.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love board games. I've recently joined a meetup group that meets once a week and another that meets once a month. I tend to prefer resource/business management games (Agricola, Stone Age, Ticket to Ride, Railways of the World, etc.), but I'll play pretty much anything that comes with a board. Except Monopoly or Risk.

I'm not into RPGs though. I think I would enjoy a tabletop RPG if I had the right group, but I very strongly lean towards the gamist playstyle. It's hard to find others that share the same style.

4. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

My husband and I are just starting to get into board games again after a long absence. We enjoy Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Carcassonne, and we just picked up Munchkin Quest.

Some posters in Misc recommended Tabletop to me...and I think I am becoming hooked! I am looking forward to getting more games for game nights with friends.

5. Obiwansolo18

Tabletop is a good spot to go for games. Another good youtube show to watch is watcheditplayed. They are very indepth though unlike tabletop most games are a few videos. They have done a bunch of games like 7 wonders, small world, takiado, and currently doing belfort. They did others too only ones I could remember.

6. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

I enjoy board games, and wish I cpuld play them more often. Not sure about my favorites, but you have mentioned a few good one. I played Star Trek Catan once. but since everyone but I played for the first time we didn't really use the rule perks all that much. Also, the game was in german. But they seemed to add anmother dimension to the game.

7. Obiwansolo18

If you dont use the rules perk, its just catan with star trek labeling. Nothing like building roads and settlements for next to nothing, or getting a random resource if 7 is rolled.

8. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I play board games regularly with a few friends, and love tabletop! We've played quite a few games from there, but at the moment our most played games are Game of Thrones, Catan, Monopoly City, Dixit (love that game so much) and The Walking Dead (the one based on the comics, not the tv show). I'd love to get the Star Trek version of Catan.

We also want to try Munchkin and Smallword, although the latter is pretty expensive.

9. Obiwansolo18

small world is definitely worth the price of admission. Munchkin is a lot of fun, it's really easy to get nontabletopers to play also. I have the cuthlu, zombies, space, pirates, and superhero munchkins. They used to get a ton of play time but since we started gaming more they seem to take up a lot of dust. Me and the wife get games of small world in while the baby is sleeping and when he goes to bed at night so that gets a ton of playing time for me anyway.

10. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to ask, where do people usually go to find some of these games (other than online)? The big stores like Walmart and Target usually only have the old boring standards like Monopoly, Life, etc.

Although we do have Carcassonne and Monty Python Fluxx, and we enjoy playing those. (Well, we enjoy them when we can convince the kids not to take everything personally! :rolleyes: )

11. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not into table top gaming that much, though I would certainly be more open to it if I had a good group of people to game with. I love watching Tabletop though. I'm so glad it came back for another season.

12. trekkiebaggio

The wealthy of expansions is something which puts us off actually. MY friends are the type that feel they have to get everything associated with something they love. It may fall to me to buy it.

Mostly online, but we have a chain of shops called Forbidden Planet. After Tabletop gained popularity we noticed the board games they played started appearing in Forbidden Planet.

13. Obiwansolo18

http://gamesalute.com/gamestorelocator
    I have a local shop that keepsna good stock, but online also. Books a million, barnes and noble have started getting into board games rexently. Target has a deal with tabletop and usually has small world, pandemic, and mumchkin. Use this website to find a hobby shop that could be near you.

14. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Thanks, but the closest one that shows up on that website is nearly 90 miles away. :(

15. trekkiebaggio

I ordered Munchkin today :techman:

Hopefully me and my friends will be able to get a game of D&D organised soon too, haven't played that for AGES.

16. Obiwansolo18

Have fun with munchkin, its been awhile since I nroke out the dnd or pathfinder. I wanna start skyping games I think I could play more thay way.

17. Shanndee

I think I have the first warning signs of a possible addiction...

In a very short period of time Hubby and I have purchased:

Settlers of Catan
    Munchkin Quest
    Dominion
    Carcassone
    Pandemic
    Castle Panic
    Castle Panic (The Wizard's Tower)
    Zombie Dice

We have been having a lot of fun with them so far! Munchkin Quest is a ton of silly fun, and Pandemic ROCKS! We just got the last 3 games today, so we look forward to more fun filled evenings!

...but we may have a problem...:lol:

18. Obiwansolo18

Thats awesome, thats what happenedntonme bought a ton fast then slowed down and now more picky, only so much room for games and there pricey. I just introduced a new player to catan and ticket to ride

19. Shanndee

Yes, we have to slow down so we can actually play (and get good at!) the games we have! As you said, space and $$ are issues as well.

We played Munchkin Quest with 2 friends and they went out and bought their own copy. I can't wait until we have the time to get together to play Pandemic.

My new mantra is going to have to be "slow down and learn some more rules...slow down and learn some more rules... :lol:

20. Shanndee

Just finished playing Agricola (2 player edition). That game should not be as much fun as it is!