HGTV?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by sojourner, Jan 11, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

OK, I admit, I like watching HGTV and seeing cool interior designs. The thing I've noticed lately is it seems HGTV has banished a lot of it's designers. Every time I turn the channel on now it seems to be Love it or List and Property Brothers. Is the channel in the middle of a revamp?

2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

We're major HGTV fans as well and we had noticed the change as well. While the channel is more 'design' oriented during the day, prime time has moved away from it big time. While I love Love it or List it, Property Brothers, Income Property, Kitchen Cousins & Cousins on Call, I much prefer the design shows. Except for Mike Homes, I'll watch anything that he is doing.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Homes is awesome. I watch him all the time of DIY Network.

I haven't gotten HGTV in years, but I loved the cute designer who won the first season of Design Star. Is he still around? :lol:

4. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mike Holmes is one of the hottest guys on tv. And his sense of ethics is heartwarming. Unfortunately, it makes me very hesitant to have anything done on our house, since I'm now paranoid at the job that would be done. It's all about references, you know?

Anyway, HGTV has really helped me get an eye for design, or at least being able to differentiate between what I like and what's nice-but-I-don't-want-it.

I wonder about people who use designers to decorate. These designers go and buy all this stuff for the house, I'm talking decor, not new furniture which may be needed. Don't these people have anything they've collected which could be used? Who would want a house full of stuff that means nothing more than "It looks nice on the shelf/wall/table"? We have TONS of stuff to choose from, even if only some of it was used. And a lot of it is at least interesting to look at and is a part of us and our lives.

5. bigdaddy

I lived on Nantucket Massachusetts for 5 months in the summer, Romney had a fundraiser there, so I'll explain it real simply how these rich people and their designers work.

They have several houses.

Honestly, they buy whatever they like, usually hand blown glass things and paintings and the rest they seem to go "I want it to look like this magazine". They have enough houses that some are used for living and some used to show off, however most have no personality, they need the designer to make up a personality for the home. I had to help people with landscaping because they were having their houses featured in magazines. They are in these houses maybe 20 days a year, tops, and they spend $500-$1,000 on a few plants (we over charged on everything), just to make it look decent for one picture. They just want fake fame.

6. propita

I would LOVE to have that much money. He'll, I don't even need that much. Half that much. Probably still be more than I'd need for anything.

7. bigdaddy

One bitch bought 26 $90 plants and almost 60 $18 lavenders, along with TONS of other things to make her yard look a little nicer because she was selling it for $18 million. I think that's insane. There is a house next to the head of the habour and next to the famous lighthouse. I found a picture, right behind the lighthouse...

http://www.nantucketmemories.com/portfolio/nantucket/section04/img9.jpg

That house is $15.6 million. The most expensive house in Massachusetts history was trying to be sold for $58 million.

And the island is only decent to live on July-Mid-Ocotober.

I was only in one "rich" house, it probably wasn't that much, it was in a gated like community but no yards. Actually I was only in one non employee house. :lol: Open up any magazine and it had a design feel like I was in a set for a TV show. It was so incredibly boring! The only thing personal I remember was one of the bedrooms had some dog pictures and ribbons on the wall. But otherwise it looked like cheap wooden sea galls and fake fish and sailor shit. It looked ridiculous.

Nicest woman on the island is 92, stopped by all the time and would hit on me (A 26 year old gay guy), and would just try to get her garden too look nice. She just loved gardening. She also donated 126 acres of land to be used as a wildlife refuge. That's what I would do with that much money, give it back, let everyone enjoy it. I'd also have a kick ass house with a Lego room, and a Hess room. haha

8. propita

I like your ideas, lol!

Hubby and I don't have kids. Now that he's finally relaxing a bit to enjoy life before we're too old, and because we've been careful with money, he's indulging himself a bit. He's liking animation cels, some Disney, Marvel, Simpsons, etc. not enough wall space and a kid's dream decor. The local framing place loves us! We like to support local business.

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, hey, if it wasn't for the wealthy spending obscene amounts of money on decorating, a lot of 26 year old gay guys would be out of work. ;)

10. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's possible that fall and winter are the off seasons...with spring and summer when new shows are run.

And yes, Mike Holmes rocks...

11. bigdaddy

If you are going to stereotype at least use a better one. Gay guys do hairdressing a lot, I have yet to meet a decorator. :-p

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure, bigdaddy, surrreeee. Next you'll tell me you aren't the sassy pal to a heroic single woman trying to balance life and love. ;)

13. bigdaddy

:guffaw:

It's sweet you think I have a love like. :lol: