PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Four pounds of back bacon, three french toasts, two turtle necks...

And a beer. In a tree.

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I keep my beer in the fridge - or a cooler - or in the live-well on my boat. Never kept it in a tree - although I did find some on a couple of Christmas mornings under the tree :)

3. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

A mug? Blasphemy! It would have to be a stubby.

Here's another photo from the Constellation Awards, taken by a friend during the red carpet prior to the ceremony:

[​IMG]

I was wondering what was going on with my tie in that photo, and then I realized that it's the cord from my headset that's in the way (I generally clip my radio to my belt).

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

We went to the cottage for a few days and my daughter and I had lots of fun in and around the water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  5. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We call this "golluming."
    [​IMG]

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

We went Strawberry picking, we're going to make some Strawberry/Rhubarb jam.

Our Strawberry haul
    [​IMG]

Me and my daughter Kira in the strawberry field
    [​IMG]

My son Ian picking a strawberry
    [​IMG]

My other son Aaron looking straight up gangsta. Not really, it was really hot out and he had been running down the patch
    [​IMG]

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been wondering where tsq is. She hasn't been around for quite a while :(

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    She's been posting on Facebook a little, so she's around and I see her. I guess she's just taking a little break from the board right now.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh cool. Thanks.

10. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

My car got picked up for transport today. Watching the guy load it was incredibly stressful. I kept thinking "Okay this is it, this is where he drives it off the edge." He was so casual and confident about it all too, even joked around about having me try it. Incredible!

[​IMG]

11. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why aren't you driving it home? Too far?

12. Kestra

My cat makes driving home really problematic because he travels so poorly. I had to medicate him for the plane ride out here. Since I have to fly home with the cat, it didn't make financial sense to fly back out and drive the car back.

I wouldn't have wanted to do the drive back by myself anyway, and I had friends who offered to do it with me but it would involve taking time off work for them since it's such a long drive. One of these days I'd like to do a cross-country drive though!

13. Pingfah

Boy yeah, i'd love to road trip across the US one day on my bike. I mean to do Land's End to John O'Groats over here to test the water, I want to do a Euro road trip at some point too.

I've never ridden on the wrong side of the road before though, I worry I might forget and plant myself into a truck.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That just sounds exhausting. It would take you forever, and you'd have no clothes to wear!

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Bike is also a motorbike...

16. Kestra

I'm sure you'd get used to it really quickly. I've been looking into possible driving trips around Britain and I'm continually surprised by how close together everything is! I'm thinking if it happens, we will probably end up going more up north, and not by you though. Maybe I will even go bother Decks.

17. Pingfah

Aw :(

Watch this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwtSdJaPCSI[/yt]

Changed your mind yet? :p

18. Kestra

Haha awesome! It's still a long way off, he's coming here in November and we'll plan another trip after.

19. Pingfah

I'd come and help you guys annoy Decks for a day if it came to that anyway. :)

Well, assuming she'd have me.

20. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got to take a tour of the S-IC Test Stand yesterday (not a public tour, it was arranged by a coworker)! It's the test stand they used here at Marshall Space Flight Center to test the first stage of the Saturn V rocket. In other words, five massive F-1 engines all firing at once! It's also been used to test the Space Shuttle's main engines among other things. This massive structure stands about 25 stories tall, making it the second tallest structure on the arsenal. (The tallest is the Dynamic Test Stand, used to shake the entire Saturn V stack.) It was very cool being able to go up this structure, although my fear of heights was working overtime! (Oddly enough, I'm just fine in an airplane.) We went up on the main deck just above the flame diverter, then up on top of one of the concrete pillars, and finally all the way to the top. Although I only made it ~24 stories up, just shy of the top. That's because after you exit the elevator and go up a flight of steps, you then go outside the structure onto a narrow catwalk/stairway that's just a metal grating to get to the top, and you can look straight down between your feet all the way down to the ground. Yeah, I'm happy with my sense of self-preservation. :)

I found a video of the Saturn V engine tests here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8DOXrhkHE8

And on this page ( http://www.msfc.nasa.gov/news/news/photos/2000/40thannivphotos.htm ), scroll down to Neg #: 6520222.jpg and Neg #: 6647425 for some pictures of them loading and testing the Saturn V.

[​IMG]

Loooong way up...
    [​IMG]

I can see my house from here! No really, it's just over my left shoulder, about 15 miles away. That's the Dynamic Test Stand over my right shoulder.
    [​IMG]