Season 3 Blu-Ray: December 15

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The DS9 episode is only in standard definition.

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Season 3 Blu-Ray review

The Audio 10 out of 10
    Season 3 Blu-ray Review
    http://bluray.ign.com/articles/105/1052677p1.html

3. Penhall99

Penhall99 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: alternate edits, deleted scenes & Trek

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but how do you know its highly unlikely?

They did it with TMP, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it with the only other "troubled production" Trek film. And Shatner has expressed interest in doing it, so its not like he wouldn't jump at the chance...

This is Paramount we're talking about, and when it comes to Trek, they are all about milking the franchise for all it's worth. A newly created Director's Edition would get fans (even most that loathe the movie) to fork over more cash to see it, at least as a curiosity piece.

4. jefferiestubes8

STV:TFF on Blu-ray

While Paramount does like to triple dip fans for Trek shows and films the business decision not to release STV:TFF as a single disc Blu-ray in 2009 points to the return on investment not being worth it. It was included on the 6-disc Blu-ray movie collection as Paramount felt that fans who wanted to see it would purchase all 6 films.
    I stand by my original post.
    STV:TFF is by many fans considered the weakest Trek film (certainly of the original 6 films). Paramount knows that fans will purchase a box set of the 6 films or else all 11 films on Blu-ray. I see you haven't posted on this thread:
    Hypothetical: If Paramount ponied up the cash for Shatner to fix STV- Perhaps you should read it and post there.
    This is the wrong thread to discuss STV:TFF.

5. Penhall99

Penhall99 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: STV:TFF on Blu-ray

True, I just wanted to make a quick point.

Anyway, you make some good points yourself, but I still think we'll see a Director's Edition one day.

I guess we'll see which of us ends up being right... ;)

6. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Help!!!

After selling season 2 Blu-ray set for $59.99----Best Buy has decided season 3 is so much better they're selling it for $69.99 (???)
    Are they on crack?

Amazon has had it for $52.99 for weeks!!!

Does anybody know if any brick & mortar stores have it for a decent price?

Thanks!

7. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Why don't you just order from Amazon. That's what I did.

8. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mine arrived today from Amazon - on the release date. No need to run around, rend my hair, and scream about the price in stores.

Doug

9. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't mind paying $65.99 for this at Best Buy.

What a treat to see a decent print of the unaired version of "Where No Man..." at long last. It's better than the OK bootleg copy I have had for a few years.

And my favorite third season shows have never looked better!

10. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not sure if there is one in your area, but I walked into my local Fry's Electronics store and bought a Star Trek, Season 3 blu-ray off the shelf today for $52.99, same price as Amazon.

"Spocks Brain" for everyone! :techman:

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got mine at Best Buy, and they were matching a lower price from one of their competitors.

I actually thought something was wrong 'cuz the box for Season 3 is so much smaller than those from the first two seasons (plus the security label on top says "Best Of Season 3", for some odd reason :confused:). But this is because there's only 6 discs in Season 3, as opposed to the first two seasons which both have 7 discs each, and so they creatively found a way to make the S3 box smaller.

And despite what the label says, it's not a best-of thing - it has all the episodes.

12. jefferiestubes8

13. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

I got my copy from Amazon.com on the 15th, and season 3 has the same audio problems on my Panasonic BD30 player that season 2 has (sometimes audio is muted for several seconds at the beginning of the episode). Also, some of the English subtitles are strangely re-worded or mis-worded ("I'll lose my medical authority" for "I'll use my medical authority"). Overall, however, the box set is great.

14. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine came in the mail yesterday (from Amazon). I cannot open it as it is one of my xmas gifts from the husband. GAH! Torture!

Like you, MLB, i was surprised at how much thinner this was than season 2.

15. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, I thought I had it on pre-order, but I didn't. dammit.

16. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My guess is that this is a problem with any disk that has "seamless branching." Some blu-ray players have a problem that that feature, which manifests as audio dropouts, sometimes video dropouts, etc.

Look for a firmware update on Panasonic's site that might help. If there isn't one, complain to Panasonic. Or get a Playstation 3. ;)

17. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

I have all firmware updates for the player. I complained to Panasonic about season 2's audio problems, and they said the discs were defective (they're not; if I use the skip button to return to the beginning, the audio plays normally).

18. Ereb

Ereb Cadet Newbie

Walmart has the star trek blue ray for only $52.86if anyone is still looking for it.

As a side note, would anyone whos purchased this mind pming me their game code for the Star Trek movie uniforms that come with this blue ray? I don't have a lot of spare cash in the current economy, and just can't justify spending the money, but would really like to have those uniforms for the upcoming Star Trek Online computer game. Any donation would be GREATLY appreciated.

A pm would be great, or my e-mail is ErebdraugOrnbar@yahoo.com

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. If you have all three in an outer box, then (assuming your collection is indeed ordered) you may have to put it OUT of order depending on how many DVDs are before / after it.

20. jefferiestubes8

new visual effects backgrounds & planets

Maxon Cinema 4D Takes Blu-ray Star Trek Out of This World
    22-Dec-2009
    http://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/Web...nema-4D-Takes-Blu-ray-Star-Trek-Out-of-T.aspx

We haven't heard much about the CBS Digital people but it is nice to know they had a little outside expert help on the new visual effects.

The article has a little more info but above is the good stuff.