FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

They did for TOS. So what makes TNG so special? :lol:

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just stick some CGI blinking eyes on Armus, and he'll look waaaay better.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There ya go. Now we're talkin". :techman: :lol:

Can we digitally erase Marina Sirtis? Please?

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:techman:

Doesn't it stand to reason if the suit and elevator failed, that the creature did not turn out as planned or expected?? Cause enough to "fix" the problems with modern FX. They didn't have time or the means to create a new creature.

BTW I'd like to make a correction, Andy Probert created the original concept design which I like much better and is easily within the realm of CGI today.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But you're making a change purely for the sake of change. Armus worked quite well in 1988 and continues to look acceptable in 2011 on my 40" 1080p set.

I don't want them "fixing" TNG.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't see them doing anything to change Armus. Judging from the work done for Star Trek, the project won't have the time or money to make big changes like that. It is a practical effect that works, and one that will look fine in HD. I doubt it will be anyone's priority to "fix" it.

7. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

The part of Armus that will need to be redone (hopefully better) is the animation when the river moves and when he engulfs the shuttle. The practical effects were always fine, but the animation never matched that look. Hopefully more care will be taken in an 'upgrade'.

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

And don't forget the goof where they forgot to add goo in the hole in some shots!

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Then don't buy it.

10. BillJ

I believe that's what I already said.

11. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Do we have confirmation that TNG-R is even happening?

From what I've heard this will be a real mess compared to TOS-R.

The finished eps are on video which lacks the resolution of film. Who knows where are the original bits of film are housed. Suppose you are missing 10 minutes of film from an episode. What do you do?

12. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Legend has it that the original film elements were stored properly, but then again that might mean Rick Berman's attic.
    In my fantasy, we get to go back, clean up the film, and completely re-edit and post-process everything in 16:9 1080p, even if it's just a collection of episodes rather than the whole series. BoBW turned into a full theatrical film essentially. :bolian:

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Paramount stored the original film elements properly. They knew the cash-cow possibilities of Star Trek by 1987, and they'd want to preserve that material for future use.

14. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

Becareful what you wish for, guys. TOS-R is a disaster in my book. None of the CG show have any weight. The ships move in really bizarre ways. The lighting is horrendous. For some reason nobody wanted any highlights or contrast in the whole show - its all mid tones and shadows - very muddy. I'll give them the on set stuff like matte paintings. Those were very well done. But anything is space was crap.

That being said, my biggest wish for TNG-R would be scaling the BOP back down to its original size all the way through. Seeing that model as the same size as the E-D always made me groan.

15. BillJ

I don't think it was a disaster. But there was a lot of it that was very underwhelming. :techman:

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I was never blown away by the ship shots in TOS-R, but it's been a few years since the project was done, so hopefully a TNG-R project would show improvement in that area. In any event, TOS-R had a great eye for fixing minor details and matte paintings, changes that will improve TNG immensely.

And, hopefully, just like with TOS, a new Blu-Ray set will include both versions of the episodes.

17. Mark 2000

@Harvey, I don't think a TNG-R would fare better than the TOS one with time. TOS-R was done quickly, on the cheap, and was led by someone who had never directed SFX shots before. Bless Mike Okuda for bringing so much to Trek, but he's not a director and TOS-R proves it. If you look at Elaan of Troyius, which was done toward the end, you see that there was no growth in technique. It was possibly even worse than previously done episodes.

18. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Dare to dream...

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I doubt it's a dream. You don't let the future profits of one of your studio's most lucrative properties degrade due to negligence.

On the contrary, I think that, especially in terms of lighting and the improved 3D model of the Enterprise, the effects did improve over time.

20. Mark 2000

You're thinking about when they went to the lower rez model near the very beginning. Things like the engine tips improved, but the lighting got darker and the ship still moved really badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdKGl5Y141A&playnext=1&list=PLB5C907184AFC37C9

Everything is too dark. Highlights are midtones. There's some really odd camera moves, like when the E passes by and then the camera pans over to see the klingon pass by behind her. The Klingon ship looks like a video game render. There's a lot of strange shots of it off center, cutting off the top of the ship against the top of the screen. And, of course, there is the really unbelievable last second maneuver of the Klingon ship behind the E where it suddenly turns off abruptly and not even on its center of gravity.

It's as if they aren't even trying. And, unless the animators were first year trade school graduates, I doubt they would allow things to look this terrible without a bad director breathing down their necks and insisting it look this way.