TBBS Fanfic Recommendations

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Naraht, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Naraht

Naraht Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People have said that it's very difficult, with so many stories having been posted in the Fanfic Forum, to know which ones are worth the time to read. This thread will hopefully provide a way for readers to recommend good stories that they have read here.

I'd like to start with three favourites of my own:

"Star Trek: Lazarus" by FocusAbbey
    A very innovative story set in the far future, as the ideals of the Federation rise from its ashes. It's accompanied by art that is every bit as fine as the writing.

"Orders of Magnitude" by John Z. Drake
    The first few chapters of a TNG novel that was submitted to Pocket Books (and rejected for reasons unconnected to its quality). This is a real professional effort, and it shows.

"Once more with starships" by CmdrAJD
    The Buffy musical meets TWOK. Amazingly good, and very amusing!

Please, please, add your own recommendations, and help people find the treasures hidden in this forum! :)

shyborg likes this.
  2. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

Anything from Emperor Tiberius.

3. Rikerbabe

Rikerbabe Commodore Commodore

And where might someone find the aforementioned fanfic?? :)

4. Naraht

It would definitely be helpful if people would post links, as well as a little bit of info about the theme and content of the story (which series it's written for, what time period it's set in if it's original, and whether it focusses on any romantic pairings... or indeed trios!) ;)

5. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/darkezri/

6. Rikerbabe

Thank you! :)

7. John Z. Drake

John Z. Drake Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks! I'm just glad at least a few people are getting to finally read it!

JZD

8. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

I guess I'd probably recommend Star Trek: Endeavour, the episodes of which I've posted in a thread here as well. Seems to be more or less ignored though. I may be somewhat biased as I'm the one who created it, but so far I've recieved nothing but positive feedback from it.

9. CmdrAJD

CmdrAJD Commodore Commodore

Thanks for mentioning "Once More With Starships," Naraht. I was afraid it was lost to the sands of time. :)

And while he seems to have left the BBS for the moment, I would like to recommend the Buffy pieces done by Gojirob. His site is at http://www.southroad.com/brightfame

10. Rikerbabe

Read this last night; very enjoyable! I miss original TNG fanfic; it's too bad this wasn't published.

Recommended reading!

11. Naraht

I've never gotten into "Dark Ezri." I know this sounds pedantic, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but I really have trouble taking stories seriously when the copyediting is that slapdash. And I know that I'm missing good stuff because of this reaction, but I just can't help it. I think "if the author couldn't be bothered to give this story one more read-through... why should I?" :(

On a more pleasant note, I've just read teya's Aurora, and I recommend it unreservedly. The characterisation is very subtle, the writing is excellent... and I didn't spot a single typo! It's a C/7 story set after "Endgame," but I think it should appeal to people who aren't C/7 shippers or even necessarily Voyager fans. (I'm not.)

12. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh ... To each his own, I guess.

13. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Well, my story (Star Trek:Entomalians) is here for anyone who wishes to read it. It is a LONG epic, with many episodes. The first one was "Blood and Thunder", and the current one is "Stargazing at Midnight". Just search for "Star Trek:Entomalians", and you'll find it here, in the BBS. I may be biased, or course, since I'm the creator, but I do think it's worth looking over, and enjoying! :)

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's strange, I always thought ET was pretty good on the editing front, oh the occasion mispelt word here and there but most writers are guilty of that. Certainly I've always looked on his work as something to aspire to because it flows so naturally and is so error free.

You might want to avoid Vesta in that case though :) try as I might the errors creep in, but then this is a hobby and there's a limit to how much time one can spend poring over their own work when it hasn't got to pass a publisher's gaze. Harsh I know, but true. I just hope people can look beyond a few misplaced words to see the story and characters beneath.

15. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

I would recommend my stuff- Letters & Explanation. Although it's hella long- it picks up at Page 2 and it delves deeper into it's characters than any other literature I have read or written. I'm planning on to do a spin-off but the stuff I have planned for it hails from Page 9 of the previously mentioned thread.

16. ghiaman74

ghiaman74 Commander Red Shirt

I will continue the shameless parade of selfpromotion. If you like short stories, I have a couple TNG shorts at www.fanfiction.net/~ghiaman.

If you're looking for a series, I have recieved much praise for Nightingale's Song, a fanfic about a hospital ship trapped behind enemy lines during the Dominion war. It takes place in the days surrounding the first episode of DS9 season 6. A couple of DS9 reaccuring characters even show up. The link is in my sig below.

17. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if nobody says it ... I won't either.

18. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

m......meh? :confused:

say what?

19. Naraht

Uh, guys, recommending your own stories is really missing the point of this thread. Of course we all like our own work. But it won't really help readers decide which stories to try if authors just say "try mine... it's great... really". :p

Corylea likes this.
  20. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

That was my point.