Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. MiKE42

MiKE42 Ensign Red Shirt

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

In fact I`ve just read a comment on The Digital Bits facebook page from an Australian reviewer ,who says he`s noticed audio issues on his Australian review copy!
    Doh

2. LastRideOut

LastRideOut Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow, this a huge, huge screw up on CBS's part. How can something like this get past quality control? Did anyone over at CBS bother to listen to the final product before it was released to mass production? A screw-up of this scale has the potential to negativity affect CBS's credibility with future TNG releases, not to mention sales.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

STNG was a ratings success from episode one, it was increasing ratings in it's time slot 1100% over the previous year in some cases. It even beat network shows in certain areas.

RAMA

4. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

... except nary a review mentions it, so the PR impact so far is pretty low.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

1. The Naked Now: A story that duplicates the intent of the TOS episode Naked Time...showing us what these character's secret desires are and bring them to the surface. This is more effective because all the characters, including Kirk are very controlled in many ways...in STNG the characters were less defined by episode 2, and possibly the reveals were either too obvious (Geordi's desire to see normally) or simply less dramatic. The humor level, while high, was't quite as effective as in the original episode. What doesn't bother me is the fact they decided to parallel TOS so early...I think an episode or two that shows us something similar from TOS could help set up the show for fans and newbies alike.

Looking back on it now, Naked Now feels better than I originally remember than in 1987. It's faster paced, looks well-made and is generally solid. Some priceless moments come from Data and his introduction to sex as well as his reappearance on the bridge afterwards. The HD version gives us breathtaking visuals, improved mattes, contrast, and the star looks more dynamic as it prepares to blow off it's material. Despite this, I see no significant reason to increase the rating, though obviously I recommend the HD version over the SD one. Original: ***1/2 of ***** HD: ***1/2

RAMA

6. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

It's a pity that, even in the 24C, Tasha felt unable to acknowledge her robosexuality.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ever since I found the Audio glitch of 11001001, I didn't really feel like watching more season 1 episodes (I will, but I had actually seen Season 1 recently) and decided to watch an episode from Season 7 tonight. The one I chose was Attached, and it's great watching that episode kind of back to back with Encounter at Farpoint. I do have a question though and this is due to me not really watching the later seasons that much in the last few years. When did Picard and Crusher start seeing more of each other prior to this episode. They were eating breakfast, having dinner, stuff like that. I don't remember the episode in which they started to become closer.

8. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Extremely disappointed in the audio troubles being reported here. How such obvious issues made it by quality control is beyond me. Was there ANY quality control, or did CBS cut corners in that department since they were spending so much everywhere else?

Unfortunately, I decided to order a copy after the initial issues didn't appear to be so bad...but now with reports of audio sync issues on top of the sound channel problems...well, I'm wishing I had of waited.

I am hoping that CBS will correct the problems and offer a disk replacement program. This is such an unfortunate beginning to the release. After all the other amazing work, it makes it look like the sound department really didn't know what the heck they were doing.

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately the UK set is just as fcuked on the audio.

10. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, It was way to early in the run for this kind of story.

I understand they probably wanted to hook in TOS fans by recycling one of the old stories but I think this would have worked better in S3.

Still it does have Jim the comedy engineer. How did he get a job is Starfleet?

I am not convinced he was even infected.

11. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Here's a comparison shot from "Where no one has gone before" that shows how the 2-foot model, which didn't have interior window lights, finally got those lights for the remastered version of the episode. Isn't that just excellent?

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/137586

12. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Excellent! :) They added them to the warp-away in the title sequence too.

I wonder how they did it? If it's not a CGI recreation, that's a lot of little lights to track frame-by-frame!

13. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ya its a mess. If there is a recall or something this is going to cost CBS a fortune fixing this mess and getting the new sets to the people who bought season 1 already. I hope they dont cheap out on later seasons because of all the money they will have to spend to fix the poor QC on season 1. Its such a shame as they could have got some Trek fans to watch and listen to the discs and look for audio or other errors for free I am sure.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My discs are all labeled correctly.

15. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yay, my season one box set was finally delivered and I've already watched "The Naked Now" and "Code of Honor". I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but there are two suspiciously SD-looking sequences in the latter episode. One where Yar and Lutan are entering the holodeck (which, I guess, is just the result of a digital zoom into the original negative, that was also done one the original cut of the episode), and the other later on the planet, in an establishing shot of the festivities Logan has going for Picard. The image looks VERY pixelated and you can see horizontal lines. Is this also upconverted footage?

Also, during the same scene, you can actually see Yareena's nipples through her dress! I'm not sure this was possible in de SD version, too.

Off to see "The Last Outpost" now ...

EDIT: Ha, the promo guy just called the Ferengi "dangerous alien predators"! Oh boy, little did they know ...

16. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I noticed this as well, but I too am assuming it's a digital zoom, which we know they used early on in the series. There was a shot in EaF, when Q freezes the guy on the bridge, that they replaced the shot because they used a digital zoom. I think that CBS has been quite open so far in regards to when the original film negatives couldn't be located, so I tend to believe that they simply duplicated the original zoom using the negatives.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The first shot of Picard is standing in front of the viewscreen addressing the crew looks very soft as well from Lonely Among Us.

18. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

19. paulablock

paulablock Ensign Red Shirt

There is some info on this in the upcoming book Star Trek: The Next Generation 365. Not a ton--but enough to substantiate some of what you've heard about the shortened season, the Phase II scripts and the infamous clip episode.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, even in HD Code of Honor was pretty tough to sit through. The basic premise isn't all that bad-- Picard being forced to navigate all these tricky alien customs when he knows he could easily beam Tasha and the vaccine away in a second-- but the writing and execution was about as hacky and cliched as it gets.

Instead of coming up with any kind of original alien culture, they just trotted out some African tribe from a 1930s movie-- complete with African clothing and tribal music!-- and tried to convince us that they're "alien." Say huh?

I realize the writers had a lot of hours to fill and they were still figuring things out at that stage, but it's still hard to believe ANYBODY thought this was a good idea.

Also, I gotta say this was one of the weakest recreated planets I've seen yet. It looked just about as fake as the original did (although I'm willing to give them a pass since it's attached to such a crappy episode).