Least favorite Firefly character

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by D Man, Dec 1, 2009.

?

Least favorite Firefly character?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2010.
  1. Mal

3.3%
  2. Zoe

25.6%
  3. Wash

3.3%
  4. Inara

13.3%
  5. Jayne

6.7%
  6. Kaylee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Simon

21.1%
  8. River

15.6%
  9. Book

11.1%
  1. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

I don't mind it being vague, besides who's to say that Christianity (or any religion) is the same five hundred years into the future where Humanity isn't even in Sol anymore, let alone on Earth? Maybe the bible, as they know it, is drastically different then it is today.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But your pastors would (I am guessing) be in the Protestant tradition? That's a rather broad encompassing thing, granted, but it's been around since the Reformation. The absence of celibacy is more or less uniform, IIRC - it's chiefly practiced in the Catholic and Orthodox churches.

Ah well. On the other hand, I can forgive Whedon for wanting to avoid theobabble as much as technobabble (if I may steal a neologism from another poster here), but Book isn't as well thought out a character as he could have been. He makes the moral and/or ethical quip in a humourful, likeable way, and off he goes. I almost feel that the stuff about his secret past was simply so he could be given a little more depth later on, and it's manifestly clear that the film had basically no use for the guy at all.

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The unaired version of the pilot named Book as a Catholic, as I recall.

4. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Unaired pilot??! What wheere? when?

5. Kegg

'Shepherd' isn't a title used in Catholicism, aber; and Shepherd appears to be Book's title.

6. Michael Chris

But with the change in language and all that it's certainly possible. After all, the protestant "pastor" hasn't been around that long, and just means shepherd.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I must ask the same question.

8. Kegg

What change? We basically seem to have English plus some truncated swear words and Mandarin phrases.

Quite, but, you know, Catholics. He'd either be lay clergy (a priest) or a member of a religious order (a monk or friar).

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Christianity in the time of Firefly is probably very different from current Christianity, likely with a lot of influences from Eastern religions due to the cultural melting pot that were the generational ships mankind used to reach their new home.

10. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

11. Michael Chris

Certainly plausible. Just look at some of the mixture of Christianity and native faiths in certain parts of the world.

To be honest I wasn't even considering the language used in the show, but how language really does change. My best guess for Book's Christianity would be that it grew out of some breakaway sect of the Catholic church.
    True.

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

http://www.catfoodkiller.com/ff/se1.zip
    http://www.catfoodkiller.com/ff/se2.zip

If there's a password, it's "firefly".

There are a few alternate scenes. The biggest change is the lack of the battle at the start. Temp music, too. The picture quality's fairly bad. VLC can play Real files.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Now that I think about it, this must be the early version that Whedon talks about on the Serenity (episode) commentary track. Too bad it's not on the DVD (or the Blu-Ray).

14. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

He often doesn't like to (at least with Buffy and Angel, anyways) release the 'original'/'unaired' stuff, which is why I was surprised "Echo" was released on the Dollhouse DVD.

15. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I definitely agree with you there. I would have really liked to have seen some more development with his character, which made his appearance in the film all the more annoying.