"If only" Hollywood would do this...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Just for fun, your pet wishes of projects you'd like to see Hollywood develop.

Me first.

It'll never happen but a period piece Superman or Batman movie set in the 1940s. I enjoyed DC Comics' retro looking New Frontier.

In the same vein a James Bond film set in the 1950s, maybe as a remade Goldfinger or From Russia, With Love. The title theme could be Jo Stafford's You Belong To Me. In that light a good The Saint film as a period piece set in the 1930s-40s. Really try to capture the feel of the books.

I know David Gerrold never was able to get a television series going, but I would like to see a film version of Voyage Of The Starwolf.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love to see something like Sky Captain again. Crazy 1930s style pulp adventure.

3. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Quantum Leap Reboot JJ. Abrahms style. Use QL theme. Update the look a bit, keep some sound effects. Set it in 2020 and have Scott Bakula play John Beckett. Use all of the best elements of the show to make a good movie. Star Trek 09 and A Team movie would be good examples to go by.

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point, I'll settle for them making good original material rather than remakes, sequels, prequels, and whatever the hell else.

The last straw for me is this weeks "Red Riding Hood" -- yes, they literally adapted that fairy tale into a horror movie.

*Facepalm*

5. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to watch a sci-fi film that doesn't feel like regurgitated, pureed, homogenized, pasteurized dreck.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would like to see more futuristic, sci-fi settings being used for genres other than your typical sci-fi action movie. How about a romantic comedy set aboard a spaceship?

7. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree. I wish the film had been better received - I enjoyed it more than most did, I guess.

8. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I loved that movie, I thought there was supposed to be sequels. I've only seen it once though, I need to watch it again. It's on Netflix, I think I'll check it out soon.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nothing wrong with that. The Company of Wolves did the same thing back in the eighties and that's a wonderful movie. Angela Lansbury played the grandmother, who got all the good lines:

"Now as then, 'tis simple truth: smoothest tongue has sharpest tooth . . . ."

Turning fairy tales into horror stories often works. (Another example: Red as Blood by Tanith Lee.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  10. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Gunsmoke 2050. Set on a backward colony on some backward planet. Matt Dillon has to somehow keep the peace between humans and the planets natives and save a lost colony until they can somehow re-establish contact with Earth. I vote country music star Trace Adkins at Matt Dillon.
    Make this character a descendant of the original Dillon from Dodge City! Give him a comedy relief or grizzled old sidekick who knows how to handle himself in a fight and how to handle a gun! Maybe played by Sam Elliot. A crazy town doctor played by Carl Weathers and a hot saloon owner, with a heart and cleavage of gold, played by Lucy Lawless. This could be rough and tumble. Might actually make a better tv series for a premium channel wanting to do cutting edge adult stuff too!

11. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To quote the thread title, if only Hollywood would do this.
    It feels like the vast majority of movies released these days are just lazy "reboots".

12. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A fairy tale about an anthropomorphic wolf that forces a little girl to eat human flesh, turned into a horror film? Why those big-wig Hollywood suits just don't get it.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

You make it sound like remakes and adaptations are a new thing. Movies have been doing that since day one.

14. BlobVanDam

True, but it was nowhere near as prevalent as it is now. I don't have a problem with remakes, but now it seems like Hollywood is just milking big franchise names as a safe bet, instead of relying on creativity and originality to create new franchises.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? I find it to be about on par. It is just more "in your face" about it now.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

As for myself, there's too many to name, but...

- His Dark Materials, done in an adult manner, with all the complexity, heart and, yes, gore of the books.

- The Prydain Chronicles - I've started work on an adapted screenplay condensing the first two novels into a single, remixed story.

- The Seven-Per-Cent Solution - another, much more book-faithful adaptation.

- Y: The Last Man on HBO, sufficiently greenscreened to capture the sometimes-wild colors of the books.

- Carnivale graphic novels written by Dan Knauf.

... to name just a few. :p

17. BlobVanDam

Well I don't have any objective figures for it, it just feels like it's more prevalent, so maybe it is a case of being more "in your face".
    But it seems reboots happen a lot more constantly and quickly now. Look at Spiderman, or The Hulk, or Batman. So many franchises get rebooted the second they're used up. There were definitely quick remakes back in the day, but with the exception of the addition of sound, and colour, it wasn't all too common to reboot within only a few years of the last movie.

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. A miniseries of all four novels would be even better though.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Please, let's not have this thread be another franchise-bemoaning session. We just had one of those; it's not too late to add to if one is so inclined. :)

20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Ringworld or other stories set in Larry Niven's Known Space.

Iain M Banks' Culture novels -- heck, Consider Phlebas reads like a movie.

Peter F Hamiltons' Night's Dawn Trilogy or Commonwealth Saga.