If Star Trek Into Darkness was based on the loss of Vulcan...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Jul 1, 2014.

1. xavier

xavier Commander

Would you have preferred that to the Khan storyline?

In Star Trek 2009, Vucan was destroyed. I call it a fictional holocaust. 6 billion Vulcan were killed. Would anyone have preferred if the writers based the story of star trek into darkness on and of the loss of vulcan and the aftermath of it than them basing their story on partially wrath of khan?

For those who crave for them to continue a complete brand new original story like star trek 2009. I guess we would have welcomed it.

Perhaps the film would have been based on extreme Vulcans wanting revenge on Romulus with the federation and star fleet caught in between. It would also mean more Sarek. Sarek perhaps choosing to act out of emotion on the loss of Vulcan because of Amanda's death. For some weird reason I really wanted to see Sarek again.

Also we could have had a different Kirk and Spock conflict, instead of the whole:

I thought we are friends, why did you betray me....okay lets re act our death scene from Wrath of Khan despite the fact we have only know each other for 6 months while our TOS counterparts knew each other and have been friends for years and you ...TOS Spock would be dead with an emotional funeral, while I, AOS Kirk will be dead for only 5 minutes but hey..... we need that wrath of khan homage right here and right now. so lets go.

That was pretty much the story of Star Trek Into Darkness.

In reality, I would have loved to see Kirk and Spock struggling and sharing their different ethical veiws on how to handle a Vulcan and Romulus war. Spock obviously showing his human side at the loss of his people and maybe wanting revenge. That also would have given Spock more human emotional depth than him screaming Khannnnnnnnnn.

More importantly , Kirk will find some sort of resolution for both the Vulcan and Romulus people and there by earning the captain's chair. It would also mean more character interaction (which is the heart of star trek) than action, action, action.

This is what I wished for star trek into darkness after how magnificent star trek 2009 was.

The writers had so many opportunities. I will never understand why they partially remade Wrath of Khan.

I would have loved to see an original story in Into Darkness where the surviving Vulcans and the Romulus empire take center stage instead of a one dimensional Khan.

It makes a lot of sense now to the writers because in many of Orci's interviews people keep asking him if Star Trek 3 will have an original story.

I hope they go back and revisit the loss of Vulcan.

I always felt there needed to be a follow up story of blowing up Vulcan.it is the holocaust of star trek and that is just too huge to be swept under the rug.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't have minded that at all, some of my favorite Trek comes from the political differences between races and the conflict that arises from it. DS9 in particular was very good at this.

Who knows, maybe some element of this may be incorporated into the next movie, like you said it's too big a deal for the Federation for it to be ignored.

3. xavier

xavier Commander

Yes exactly and it is one of the reason why I felt star trek (tng and ds9) had more depth than star wars.

Remember in star wars, princess leia planet was blown up in a new hope and that was all forgotten. Leia did not even shed a tear or show any emotional hurt as the films progressed.

If it was in a traditional trek film or series there would have been lots of conflicts, huge aftermath, political and social discussion on the issue but nu trek has taken the star wars root, they have swept it under the rug and have favored action action action over story.

Honestly seeing a bunch of angry Vulcan and Romulians who will be up on their guards of an impending attack on their planet and a possible federation betrayal in favor of the surviving Vulcan due to sympathy would have been way better than seeing NU Khan especially when this NU Khan has no history with Kirk, Spock or the Enterprise like TOS Khan did.

Urgh...this wasted potential that was Star Trek Into Darkness.:sigh:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't care about the Vulcans. It was a plot point to drive Spock's actions.

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

STID was an original story and not even a partial remake of anything. Just because Khan was in it, it was no more TWOK than "The Dark Knight" was partially Tim Burton's "Batman" just because the Joker was the villain, again.

We saw plenty of character interaction in STID. And why is, "action, action, action," a bad thing? Big budget summer movies are not about talking heads.

I don't want to come off as snarky, but sorry the writers didn't make the story you wanted. That happens.

6. BillJ

After seeing Transformers 4, I laugh at people who use "action, action, action" to describe Star Trek Into Darkness. :lol:

7. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I`d prefer they consult Ronald Moore on trek. I`m not a fan of the reboots whatsoever.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer they didn't.

9. BillJ

The further away from Trek Ron Moore is, the better I feel.

10. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

That`s odd. Considering his departure from Trek coincided with the downfall of it.

11. CorporalClegg

The downfall started long before he left.

12. BillJ

I'm just not as in love with his work as some folks around here. I found him to be mediocre at best. YMMV.

13. CorporalClegg

Yes. And I'll take lens flares over excessive shaky cam any day.

14. BillJ

+1

15. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I don`t think comparing production values from an 80s/90s tv show with a 2009 $100+ million blockbuster feature film is really being objective...

But considering lens flares = lets play melodic atmospheric music instead of telling a story for Abrams. I`ll take the occasional shaky cam.

16. BillJ

I'm not comparing production values. I just don't care for his writing.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The "downfall" began with DS9. Folks who liked TNG just weren't as interested in the spinoffs.

18. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I would like to see more political intrigue, and more follow up on the loss of Vulcan would be interesting. I'd love to see a move toward reunification of the Romulans and the surviving Vulcans. More Sarek would be interesting too. I bet he'd remarry before his next Pon Farr too, just a random thought. Maybe Prime Spock would marry too, the Vulcan race needs new children after all.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The loss of Vulcan should have had more play up than it received, although I think Spock's behavior in ID was informed by his grief and inability to complete come to grips with it. The idea of his arc is the fact that he has to face death, wishing for his own, and recognizing the tragedy of it, both in Pike's death (and his mind meld), and Kirk's act of sacrifice.

Part of the wasted potential that I see in ID was expressed by another review I read. The idea of showing Khan recruiting people to his side, and he escapes at the end of ID, leaving Kirk to die, rather than resetting it. Or, thinking Kirk is dead, and that the Enterprise is crippled, leaving him free to carry on with little to know resistance.

I think a cliff hanger could have better served the story, as well as extended the theme of terrorism and the lengths society will go to defend itself, and the costs associated with that idea.

However, I do think and increase in hostilities, not with the Klingons, but with the Romulans, incensed by Khan and the Vengance, could lead to a massive arms race as the Romulans martial their forces. The racism towards Romulans and the anger of the Vulcans could lead them to be more aggressive than in the past. But, this is just speculation and off the cuff spit-balling.

For what it is worth, despite the role reversal, I do not see ID as a rehash of TWOK. The theme of vengeance is only partially there, while the theme of maturity and sacrifice being other central themes. Kirk's maturity and sacrifice really carry the piece, with his coming to recognize that he can make mistakes, and that people can die because of those mistakes.

Khan serves as the opposite side, showing a lack of humility, a prideful superiority that he is "better at everything" and cannot make mistakes. The real danger for Kirk is that he can become more like Marcus and Khan in a darker, more sinister way.

Also, the idea of Spock and Kirk having that moment in Engineering is facilitated by Spock recognizing that they are friends, and the moment he recognizes it, his friend is lost. Spock has spent a year trying to avoid getting close because he is afraid of loss, yet Kirk still views him as his friend and someone he trusts. It takes Kirk's sacrifice and death, his demonstration of a willingness to do his duty, to aid Spock in recognizing that friendship. I didn't see it as a rehash, because the relationship is different, and the motivation is different. But, your mileage may vary (and probably will).

20. BillJ

Likely stuff that will be followed up in the novels somewhere down the road. I'm just not interested in seeing a film bogged down with it.