Secret Sega game stash uncovered...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Sheep, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

2. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit skeptical that this is a somehow-forgotten room in "Sega HQ." It just looks like a couple of shelves in some big fanboy's bedroom.

3. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

No self-respecting fanboy would have that many copies of Sonic 3D Blast. :lol:

4. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just hope that when they found it, someone abruptly screamed, "SEGA!"

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :techman:

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was a Nintendo guy, but opted for the Genesis instead of the Super NES. And Sega really burned me with the 32X, so that bitter taste kept me from wasting money on a Saturn. Though I have a Dreamcast and that was a pretty nifty console, but for Sega the damage had already been done.

7. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

it looks like their in-house game library... two of the companies i've been at had rooms similar.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It seems almost too obsessively packed and organized for a corporate room. My "evidence" also wonders how 2007's Appleseed EX ended up in the "lost" room and why Sega has such a select grouping of 3DO, SNES, and other titles in their software stash.

9. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

*gets mah toolz* now wherezisplace at?

10. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks to me like Sega of America. I'm pretty sure Sega of Japan have a far more impressive vault containing, among other things, one of the two Neptune prototypes - and no doubt many more amazing goodies.

Besides, only Sega of America could lose a room in their own HQ.

11. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

i would guess Sega's game library is filled with other non-Sega games for research purposes. just as the library has a ps1 dev kit. The library also sports spools of cds and GC minidisks (probably builds for testing).

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I guess you'd have to be a hell of a fanboy to have such a collection, it just looks so much like the shelves I've seen in obssessive collections, the ones where the collection has gotten out of reasonable size.

It's a hell of a collection though, I wonder where the X-Box games are...

I wish Sega would get back on their game though, they've really faded since the demise of the Dreamcast and their hardware division.

13. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Did anyone read the original blog? It says on there it was never "lost" it's just no one ever told them it was there.

14. unimatrix7

Electron microscopy may reveal more hairs for you to split.

15. Bob The Skutter

It's not hair splitting...

16. unimatrix7

Objects and places which nought but a few people know about are often referred to as being 'lost.' Kind of like talking about a 'lost' tribe, I spose. :)

Still, good to know there's somebody at Sega of America who knows it existed.

17. Bob The Skutter

But Sega knew it was there, it was the "Community guys" who didn't, so it's not a lost room, it's a room the bloggers didn't know about.

18. unimatrix7

^ Oh God, I'm not going to debate this with you. If it were common knowledge within SoA's body of staff, it wouldn't have been such a big deal when the 'community' guys (who include those who police Sega of America's message boards, customer service personnel, and PSU's community support departments) happened across it because a five minute conversation with the zit-faced QA guy and the tea lady would've revealed its existence to be common knowledge to all but themselves and it would never have made it to Kotaku with an 'OMG LOOK WHAT WE FOUND LOL.' And please, you're not going to tell me that Simon Jeffrey knew it was there. The guy didn't even know if Yu Suzuki was still employed by Sega. Ok, I'm done.

Anyway, it is, as Kotaku points out, kind of an amusing reflection of Sega today. I mean, they lost their own history. How awesomely appropriate is that? :D

19. Bob The Skutter

I know it's a stupid debate, but I'm just saying, just because you don't know about a particular room at work, doesn't mean it's been forgotten about altogether. They just seemed to think it was cool, and people would get a kick out of it when they found out about it... and people seem to be making it something more than it is because yeah, it would be amusingly appropriate if no one but the guy who keeps it stocked up knew it was there.