DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Flashpoint isn't considered a traditional crisis though since it wasn't called Flashpoint Crisis. This only furthers my theory that most of this has been made up on the fly...

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're clearly working out the details on the fly, just as they did after Crisis On Infinite Earths. The overall approach to this relaunch, however, seems to have been thought out pretty carefully and apparently for some time.

3. Admiral_Young

I will agree that it would appear that they have planned out the core themes and plots for the New 52, probably that "October" meeting (I still refuse to believe it was Oct 2009 that DiDio meant) but everything else since then seems to me on the fly...and they're not telling their creative teams in advance of their decisions on some things which seems a bit...weird.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

DC seems more top down regarding creative decisions. Most of it seems to come from Didio rather than any of the actual writers.

5. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

You know, I want to like Barry Allen. I'm ready to like Barry Allen, but this reboot is singlehandedly throwing out everything that made Barry Allen the least bit interesting.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Probably a communications breakdown somewhere. Editors not doing their job.

7. Admiral_Young

^ My thoughts exactly.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Except, of course, that there's contemporary evidence from November 2009 suggesting that it was and other folks involved have said that it was in the works for two years. That it was decided less than a year ago is based entirely on an offhanded remark Didio made recently at a convention.

And here we are in a topic currently discussing Didio's unthought offhanded remarks. :lol:

There's a lot more to this than deciding what to do with the books - although that's got to have been a massive task. The whole business plan - digital distribution, advertising, deals with direct distributors, etc - has changed.

Even if they're all doing their jobs this kind of mistake will happen, and more than once.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except we've already been told that we're getting a JSA book set on Earth 2.

10. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I feel like Dan Didio suffers from verbal diarrhea. He just says things without any real plan, which sucks because he's in charge of a creative outlet...

11. Admiral Buzzkill

And we'll see what that consists of when we get there.

Doesn't mention Earth 3 or the rest of the multiverse, does it? ;)

With all the current attention he's going to have to get used to having everything he says parsed instantly by the more obsessively literal-minded among the fanboise. Maybe he should talk to some of the people who have run the Star Trek franchise - they'd probably tell him to just stop talking to people. :lol:

12. Admiral_Young

I also wonder how they're going to deal with the multiverse now since it was mentioned in Legion that Flashpoint sealed off time travel. Perhaps this doesn't include multi-dimensional travel.

13. Hound of UIster

There is also the Grant Morrison multiversity project thats in the pipeline. And lets not forget the YJ cartoon.

14. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Yeah, exactly. Beyond that, I don't think he provides a very good face for the company from a business standpoint. He's rather opinionated and tends to just speak his mind without thinking quite often. I've taken a PR class here and there and that's like the last thing you want to do when you're the public face of something.

15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I went to the comic book shop to pick up my Doctor Who Magazine this week, and for some reason, my pull bag contained all 52 #1's! (Plus Angel and Faith #1.) I don't know why.

I kindly asked the lady to take them back for me.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Earth One is already around (as in the Superman and upcoming Batman graphic novels). I think it is very safe to say that the multiverse still exists, but they haven't messed around with it at all yet. Thing is, why should they? They are busy enough establishing this universe. Why go getting things needlessly confusing right off the bat?

17. Hound of UIster

He is world's better than his counterparts at Marvel such as Quesada or Breevort. And he certainly hasn't gone the way of deliberately riling up the fans like those two or engaging in pissing contests such as their offer for ripped DC reboot covers for worthless Marvel variants (which I think probably backfired again).

18. Admiral Buzzkill

What's the most controversially "opinionated" thing he's said?

Prior to COIE, "Earth One" referred to the Earth that DC's main comics line takes place in - the "Silver Age" Earth. AFAIK that was still true after COIE. The so-called "Earth One" graphic novels, OTOH, appear to take place in some very different out-of-continuity version of the world. So it's really arguable whether or not the term means anything these days.

Didio's star is supposedly rising over at Warners right now as a result of the (thus-far) success of this relaunch. It's something he's been pushing for years but that was opposed by Paul Levitz. According to Bleeding Cool, the beginnings of it go back as far as Final Crisis.

19. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That explains the shitty Legion noboot.

Re: multiple Earths--I still say there's nothing inherently confusing about a multiverse. I mean, Mirror Mirror is like the famousest Star Trek episode that's not a horrible, historically illiterate time travel story.* People liked Sliders, too, right? I think? It's a well-known concept, is all I'm saying. Which is the one with the objectivist Charlton monsters? We can have a boring Ted Kord Blue Beetle again!

*It's also one of the few works of pulpy fiction I've ever seen that actually treats head trauma in a plausible fashion. I mention this because I saw the preview pages for Levitz' Huntress mini that's coming out who-cares-when, and one of them involves the Huntress knocking a man unconscious with a blunt crossbow bolt. You know, a piece of dense material flying at about 35 meters per second. Yeah. He's fine. Take a salt tablet.

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah the Earth one graphic novels take place in a totally different version of what we know is Earth One. I'm pretty sure JMS stated this right off the bat, as did Geoff Johns.