Art that doesn't need its own thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by B.J., Sep 8, 2010.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awww Cute :)

I assume ISS Ikran has Mirror Universe Romulan Tech on Board?

2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I've never thought of the Ikran having any Romulan tech aboard - it's meant to be something of a reflection (!) of the same sort of imperial/predatory culture that would develop ships like the Birds of Prey, but in this case, it was Terrans who did it. As you can see, from the top, it looks quite a bit different from Romulan architecture:

[​IMG]

3. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reminds me a bit of the Burke-class Frigate, but also my Sparrow-class Frigate, which I can easily see the Ikran's evolving into, in timelines where the Empire survived beyond 2380.
    The configuration is a little different, but the similarities are there.

4. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

What render setting did you use on this? I love it.

5. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Love it!

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Glad you like them - after all, it was your inspiration that led me to them ;).

Poser (at least the Pro version) has "toon shaders," and also a "toon outline," which is a separate render setting. I use the 'medium pen' outline setting pretty much exclusively, and I sometimes have to render multiple times to get Poser to actually apply it - the feature still seems pretty immature. The 'toon shaders' give a 3-level contrast to the material, rather than smooth shading, for more of a cell-shading appearance, but the outline color of them doesn't seem to work, so you have to also apply the 'toon outline' to the render - sadly, it doesn't offer any color choice than black. Hopefully, SM will sort this out if it's pointed out to them (constructively ;) ). With a bit of trial and error, I've gotten to this point, where I think they come out pretty nicely, although it only seems to look this good on non-organic shapes - people still don't look very convincing, IMHO.

7. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I can't get anything even close to this.

8. rocketdave

rocketdave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Parody of Meghan Trainor's single All About That Bass:

[​IMG]

It's a silly idea, but I thought I might as well do it before someone came up with the same thing.

9. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. rocketdave

My interpretation of the crew of the Aventine (from the novels):

[​IMG]

This one is probably self-explanatory:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Sqweloookle and Raul like this.
  11. B.J.

Nice! Lots of little details in that DS9 Last Supper pic. Interesting choice putting Garak in Judas' place.

Arpy likes this.
  12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love that!

13. rocketdave

Thanks. :) Until the piece was nearly completed, I actually had Bashir where Garak is now and vice versa. Aside from Sisko, I just put characters where I thought they looked best. If I wanted to rationalize it, I could maybe have said he was the changeling Bashir or he was there because he lied about being genetically engineered. But I ultimately decided that if Garak were in that spot instead, people would probably be less likely to question that choice.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another vote of admiration here for the DS9 Last Supper.

15. down to earth

down to earth Lieutenant Red Shirt

Curious, would it be ok if I just linked my art blog/the image urls? I'm new so it appears I can't include images till I hit 100 posts... :weep:

16. B.J.

Sure, no problem! And if you have any images that you want to show inline (and you are allowed to do so), just post the URL, and one of us can show it for you.

17. rocketdave

That's odd; I'm only at 21 posts (22 if you count this one) and I'm able to include images in mine no problem.

18. down to earth

Got it, thank you! I'll give a shot at posting and if not I'll let you know!

Oh, ok, lemme try then! It's just that the art FAQ thread (third question) said there was a 100-post limit before you could post images (anti-spam?) but I double-checked, looks like it could be outdated since the thread was made in 2003 :lol: I'll try posting though, one sec!

19. down to earth

So here's some of my recent art (not making an individual thread since it isn't Trek related, though I do plan on doing nuTrek and TOS fanart sometime soon!) Hope you enjoy :D

kill la kill fanart:
    [​IMG]

art for my friend, of her OC:
    [​IMG]

hobbit/attack on titan crossover design: tauriel
    [​IMG]

more on my deviantART & tumblr! I don't want to post too much since yea, it isn't trek related :)

(also, wooo looks like it worked! thanks again BJ and rocketdave! :D)

JES likes this.
  20. B.J.

Wow, very nice work! Not just the technical skill in the painting, but I love the expressiveness you've put into their faces and poses! :techman: