If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Aug 15, 2013.

?

If they made a 25th century TV series, would you watch it?

1. Yes

86.7%
  2. No

13.3%
  1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I did stop watching ENT a little more than half-way during its second season (first time I ever walked away from a Trek series). I kept tabs on it from this site and others, and came back for the fourth season.

I do think ENT was a result of creator fatigue and interference from network/studio execs. I tend to think had the show had a fifth season, it would have become even better.
    I think it had more to do with the writers not really being technobabble experts, but using [TECH] as a placeholder for some device or whatever our heroes would need to get the job done. It may have been the show's technical consultant(s) who had to invent something "future tech-sounding" to fill in that blank in a script.

2. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

Absolutely I'd watch.

3. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

A spinoff, by definition, is more of the same. Only the names and faces are different. Only half-hearted cosmetic change is permitted, so as not to offend fans of the original. Unfortunately, by the time you get to your third or fourth spinoff, fans of the original are bored out of their minds. A reboot, at least, makes some effort to shake out the cobwebs and get the engine revving again.

Les Moonves said the fourth season nosedived in the ratings because it was "hip deep in canon". I'm not anticipating a series devoted to the old canon from him. Actually, I'm not anticipating a series at all.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This is where I'm at.

Too much expense and too little interest in outer space TV from the general public.

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

They did deal with the Andorians (who hadn't been seen in TNG & DS9) and they introduced a new race called the Zindi, in addition to the Denoublans, the Suliban and the Na'khul. Mistakes aside, that was doing something new, even if people didn't like them.

According to you. And yet, most fans who hate the movies want the Bermangaverse back, technobabble included. If people can stand to hear legalese and very graphic medibabble on the CSI shows, House, ER, and Chicago Hope, then they can stand to hear technobabble that's (IMHO) only slightly removed from what most people deal with now in their jobs.

As for the supposedly crappy design; considering that said design is the standard used in Star Trek Online and is still the basis of most fan art of Deviant Art, I'd say that your assertion's been disproved.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  6. C.E. Evans

Are you really saying that TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT were all the same as TOS and had the same kind of characters?
    I have to disagree with this, because if it was the case then people would still be bored with Trek and Star Trek XI would have been a flop and there wouldn't have been an even more successful Star Trek XII.
    The same thing happens with every new Trek series. But what sustains the commercial popularity of any TV show depends on a number of factors from its writing, to its acting, to its overall appeal, to even its timing (being made at the right time).
    Really?

Eh, I have my doubts he actually said that.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    +1.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'd give it a chance. If it sucked, I'd stop.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There's no way in hell Moonves would have ever said something like that. He wouldn't have known the word "canon" from the thing that shoots cannonballs. What's your source for this?

This sounds more like the typical "Moonves hates Star Trek and all sci-fi" BS that trufans tend to frequently spout, with no basis in reality. Moonves doesn't hate Star Trek and sci-fi. He hates shows that are expensive to produce and at the same time give little payoff in ratings. If Star trek were as cheap to produce as reality show schlock and garnered the same ratings as said reality show, we'd have a new Trek series tomorrow.

10. C.E. Evans

I totally agree on all points.

11. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If it's Star Trek, I'll watch it. :)

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I kinda want to close the poll at 100. Can modders do that?

For a census.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  13. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course.

14. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I'd try it, if I liked it I'd continue. If I didn't, I'd watch something else.

15. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd try it. If it starts with Star Trek then It's usually all right. Enterprise made me gag and yell at the TV so I shunned it forever and don't consider it Star Trek. That's just my opinion of course but that won't ever change. So if it's anything similar to Enterprise I would be very unhappy and stop after five minutes or less.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

What in your estimation makes Enterprise any less Star Trek than the other series? I never thought it was all that great either (had its moments), nor were the early seasons really my cup of tea, but in the end it was still about the intrepid crew of the Starship Enterprise seeking out new life and civilizations.

And to be fair, the last season was probably the most TOS-like of any season of any series since season 2 of TOS.

Honestly, if there is ever a new series, whether it be in prime-verse or nuverse (in any century), the tone and scope of Season 4 ENT is what TPTB should strive for.

17. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I would watchit if it has good, likeable characters, a good story and is not screwing up established Trek history.

18. EnsignRedshirt

EnsignRedshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

YES, I've been hoping they would do that for YEARS.

19. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

If Kirk and his crew are not in it, then it is a waste of time.

May aswell create a new sci fi show in its own right rather than slap 'Star Trek' on the opening credits.

20. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Id MUCH prefer a 25th century show, than ANYTHING, movie, show, puppet show, set in the NuTrek universe.

With one exception:

Lets see a Federation dealing with the destruction of Romulus, and refugees from the fragmenting empire.

Kirk and Spock are dead. DEAL WITH IT.