Am I part Irish or not?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Mar 9, 2013.

1. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One's as bad as the other TBH.:lol:;)
    Also,the British didn't need to do us down,we do quite a good job of that ourselves.:rolleyes:

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whenever I'm holding a closed umbrella, I find myself twirling it around and saying, "I'm Duncan McLeod of the Clan McLeod."

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that!

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Same. In fact, I would have to go back at least 4 generations before I found an ancestor that wasn't born in America. Whatever random family members I had that lived in Europe are so far removed from me that I can't really care about them, and I certainly don't consider myself to be "part" anything. My parents are American, therefore I am American.

4. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I'm from the first generation in our family to be born in the US, and my parents are Indian. But I still consider myself American.

5. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

6. gturner

gturner Admiral

Since you're born here, you're a native American! :)

And an Indian.

And this is doing absolutely nothing to reduce the confusion between Indians and Indians and native Americans and native American Indians or native Americans with Indian ancestry... We all blame Columbus, who was lost as f***. :lol:

Residents of just about every state use the usual English conventions to form the demonym:

Hawaii - Hawaiian, Alaska - Alaskan, Kansas - Kansan, Florida - Floridian, Wisconsin - Wisconsinite, Rhode Island - Rhode Islander, Texas - Texan, until we come to Indiana.

Things were already confusing enough, so they're officially called Hoosiers, since "Indianian" would mean "of the land of the land of the people of India".

7. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I always heard a child held the ancestry of it's father. In my case, my dad was of Irish descent and my mother from Scotland. Depending upon the day, what mischief we got into and my parents minor squabbles, my siblings and I were either Irish or Scot for the moment. :rommie:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I only scanned it briefly, but I could not find Illinois on that page. I've lived in Illinois all my life, and I can't for the life of me figure out what we call ourselves! :lol:

Illinoisan just looks weird...but spellcheck seems to think it's a word, so let's just go with that. I usually just say, "I'm from Illinois."

9. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I'm 1/8th Irish. An recently getting back into my genealogy research. Managed to find my great great great grandfather who was born in 1813.

Exactly 200 years ago!

10. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Just looking through our family tree that has been put online by my sister - I think the earliest we have been able to go back is to the birth of one Daniel Pearce in 1657 in Gloucestershire. He is my 8 times great grandfather. His wife was Edith (born around 1661) but we don't know her maiden name. This is on my mother's side.

On my father's side I think the furthest we have gone back is to Edmund Holmes who was 25 years old when he married Rose Rivett aged 21 in 1730 (Norfolk, England). They were my 6 x great grandparents.

The furthest we have got back in Scotland is 1772, and the furthest back in Ireland is 1790.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Gloucestershire. Like Worcestershire they don't make sense unless you're English.

12. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have corrected the spelling. I should have looked it up to make sure I spelt it right.

I should have just put "near Randwick". A large group lead by Simeon Henry Pearce left Randwick, Gloucestershire en masse and settled at Randwick, New South Wales.

13. Deckerd

The cester, caster and all variations thereof in place names all come from the Latin for a military fort, which shows you how old these place names are.

14. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. My home town is a caster, and had a cavalry garrison named after this bloke who lived there from time to time.

Oh, and at least one (maybe more) of my great-grandparents was Irish, and I have an Irish surname. But I don't feel Irish in the slightest. Never even been there or owt.

15. Deckerd

I don't have an Irish bone in my body.

cue Phil Lynott

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, Indianian could be the people of Indiania, which is slightly closer ;)

The one that really doesn't make sense are the Guamanians.

17. Deckerd

They were in TOS weren't they?

18. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

That's why I like Indian American and American Indian -- I know it's arbitrary and rather stupid, but it's the easiest way to distinguish. Or, one could do as one of my best friends, Sonia does. With her being Indian American and me being American Indian she's just come into the habit of qualifying Indian with "dots, not feathers" and vice versa.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm always a bit amused and weirded out whenever someone says they're "proud" to be a certain nationality or ethnicity. To me, pride in something should always be linked to acheivement - you're proud of your own BA, say, or proud of your kids/loved ones and their accomplishments, or even good manners/conduct.

So to people who say they're "proud to be an American", I say, oh really, you've earned that? If you were born in a poor country, and studied and worked your butt off to become a doctor, and were then offered US citizenship as a result, then by all means, be "proud" to be an American. But the only thing I did to become an American was to be born, and that was really more the doctors' doing than mine. Am I happy to be an American, sure. Proud, no.

20. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^It's called basking in the reflected glory.