Best and Worst Cinematography

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Aug 8, 2015.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

In certain limited respects, perhaps. That might include turning the crew into cuboctahedra, as that notion and the way it's done does have a certain third season wonkiness to it, and perhaps also the romance with Kelinda brings to mind that with Deela in "Wink of an Eye," though really that would be the other way around. ;)

2. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

I noticed the flatness of this episode a few years ago and checked the credits. This was the only episode lensed by cinematographer Keith Smith, replacing Jerry Finnerman, who was apparently unavailable for an unknown reason. Smith was the director of photography on Mission: Impossible, filmed next door to Star Trek at Desilu Studios at the time.

3. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Transforming the crew into blocks had the advantage of eliminating the need for any extras, as well. Very third season!

4. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Heh, now that you mention it, yes.

I guess I never really thought about why that would be the case. Maybe it is was as mentioined above, removing most of the crew extras gave it that sparse, third season feel. It is also essentially the same story as "Wink of an Eye", so maybe it also just gets mentally lumped in with it, instead of the numerous "parallel Earth" episodes that make up the back-half of the second season.

5. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It never really occurred to me the numerous Earth-like stories we get during the second season, until you mentioned it.

6. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ah! That's it! Never thought to check the credits. Man you really appreciate Jerry's work when he's not there. A big part of why I dislike 3rd season is because it doesn't have the right 'feel'. I can forgive bad stories if it feels like TOS :rofl:

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a lot of trouble focusing on things besides Kelinda in that episode.

8. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

Besides Kelinda, It's Green and the drunken Scotty theme were memorable as well

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

"It's Green" is definitely a memorable line, but all the music from those scenes is tracked from "The Trouble with Tribbles." It's used well, though.

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, the cues where Rojan turns the bridge crew into blocks was tracked quite often in the 3rd season. So much that I actually thought it was a third season cue for a long time.

11. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Also, the cues where Rojan turns the bridge crew into blocks was tracked quite often in the 3rd season. So much that I actually thought it was a third season cue for a long time."

Same! We only hear them the once here in season two and it kinda feels 'odd' to me, given I saw season three first.

12. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

The is my new favorite thread.

There are so many episodes where you can take a single frame from anywhere in the film and have a perfectly composed, interesting picture. I think artistry like that is sorely lacking today.