Why Nimoy NEEDED to be in STID

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by teacake, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    How would that relate to events in TWOK ?

2. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a shame that nuSpock didn't say 'Thrusters on full' when they got the warp core back online, instead of 'Thrusters to maximum', would have been a nice parallel to '09.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I don't think they should use Spock Prime again. Sure we as an audiance might like it.

But it's not great from a story point of view. Whilst events might play out differently in the nuUniverse. Having someone on call who is familiar with them, is bad from a stroy point of view. After all you don't want someone who you can call upon who might be able to tell you the solution.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I love the assumption that this Enterprise crew obviously would have no better ideas in crisis situations than to open hailing frequencies to New Vulcan.

Every.

Time.

Not likely.

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I don't think he was needed, but it was a cool scene and I'm glad it was in there. I never thought that we'd get more of original Spock so long after the end of the TOS movie run. It's been great.

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

William Shatner will be in the next film, I just don't see how they can make all this new films and not have Will in it. Shatner will get a cameo soon.

7. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

What about young Kirk gets a vision of his death and we see Shatner. :)

8. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Grandpa Jim. Just sayin'. ;)

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good ol' Nimoy.

Is it just me, or has Nimoy become really prolific in movies/TV since announcing his retirement? :lol:

Transformers 3, STID, that Bruno Mars video... It seemed like he didn't do much before "retiring", but has done a lot of stuff since then.

10. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Some voice work and a couple of cameos don't constitute much; he's still effectively retired.

Betty White, now there's a second career after "retirement".

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I disagree, I think it would have been way better if Spock didn't get to ask his future self "Hey, this Khan guy, is he evil or something?"

They should have just done a clean reboot instead of trying to connect it with the original Trek universe. Since the two timelines have nothing thematically in common besides what things are named and how they look.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, but, if he hadn't been in the film, there would've been at least as big an outcry about "Why didn't they deal with Spock having all that foreknowledge in his head. Does he spill everything, does he keep quiet and tell them nothing? This is so such a stupid missed opportunity, why didn't they bring him back to answer that"?

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing is we know that Khan was some serious badassery, a dangerous man. We know his history before he was defrosted. But to the ENT crew it's a crisis, a big one, but they have no historical context. Are they going to skype Prime Spock every times some shit goes down? Doomsday machine, Tholians, Trelane steals the ship?

14. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A .50 cal Desert Eagle slug to the gonads would have put a stop to Khan's mischief, straightaway.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No way man, he has balls of transparent aluminum. They reverb but they don't crack.

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Nah, Spock already had a great death scene, and nothing would have topped that. I, too, would have liked a clean break, which is why I wish they'd just done a clear unapologetic reboot from the start.