Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What caught my eye was all the "dust" cascading from Godzilla's body. That really gave the "King of the Monsters" a sense of scale.

Sincerely,

Bill

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Could be, I do love the film but it was a random thought after I'd seen it, robots being the more entertaining choice anyway.

More concerned with the human aspect of this new Godzilla movie, it was one of the bigger problems with the last American attempt, just hoping they have a better cast and script ready for this outing.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Definitely a better cast: Cranston, Strathairn, Watanabe, Binoche, Hawkins...

Can't wait...

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That is what I liked too. Godzilla seems massive!!

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And Aaron Taylor-Johnson from KICK-ASS. And Elizabeth Olsen, who is also going to play the Scarlet Witch in AVENGERS 2 . . .

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Aaron Taylor-Johnson plays Quciksilver in the Avengers sequel.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer before the Hobbit and while I was impressed by Godzilla's size for the most part I was underwhelmeed. I kind of wished they'd shown alittle something of the storyline. And the roar needs some work it doesn't sound very traditional to me.

8. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

This is the teaser trailer, story trailers comes later.

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The second Comic-Con trailer sounded like a better teaser trailer at least to me.

10. Greg Cox

I forgot that! Clearly, we need to start a rumor that GODZILLA is the secret prequel to AVENGERS 2 . . . :)

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

12. Greg Cox

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And apparently they are going from husband and wife in Godzilla, to brother and sister in Age of Ultron.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

My intro to SHIELD, especially Dum Dum Dugan, actually own the run somewhere. Marvel/Disney definitely should purchase rights to the big G (at least comics) and especially Rom (how much could Rom possibly cost?).

15. Christopher

IDW currently holds the Godzilla comics license, and has published a number of miniseries which I gather have been well-received (at least judging from the few reviews I've come across).

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The burning cityscape doen't just evoke the original, but looks like the background of the painting The Triumph of Death

Interesting take here:
    http://io9.com/first-ever-godzilla-trailer-is-a-fantastic-spectacle-of-1480463052/@meredithdw:
    http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=22615

The whole subtext of Gojira at his Hadean Eon, Cosmic Horror best is: This Planet is Not Yours, Mankind.

Well Spoken.

I have my own theory. There is only one kaiju--not an alien ecology you have to figure out--like how the things eat enough, can walk, etc.

A supernatural explanation adds some menace, after all.

In Revelation, after all, it talks about Death and Hell being cast into the Lake Of Fire.
    I thought Hell was the lake of fire. Instead, it is mostly a holding area, seeking who it may devour--the Beast itself.

Therefore, Godzilla is the Hellmouth--that walks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellmouth

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Saw the trailer on the big screen before The Hobbit this week. Godzilla looked awesome at that scale. The sound on the trailer was a bit off though. It was better in the one linked in this thread.

18. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

New plot details have cropped up thanks to HitFlix.com:

http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/25-most-anticipated-movies-of-2014#20

19. Christopher

Ooh, "awakening?" That's promising. As I've said before, given that virtually every prior Godzilla film since 1955 has presented itself as a sequel to the 1954 original (even though they branched off into 7-8 distinct continuities that had only that one film in common), I was hoping this one would somehow be a sequel as well, rather than a completely new origin. So if the nuclear accident has awakened pre-existing kaiju rather than creating them in the first place, that means maybe this could constitute a sequel after all.

20. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd guess that Godzilla existed in1954 and was thought destroyed by whatever armed forces fought him back then. Obviously him cropping up again in 2014 is going to be a surprise for many. :D