TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Oct 21, 2012.

?

Rate The Persistence of Memory.

1. Outstanding

71 vote(s)
    55.5%
  2. Above Average

43 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Average

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

It was fall 25 years ago that The Next Generation first appeared on television sets across North America, and timed to commemorate this occasion is a brand new trilogy of novels by author David Mack dubbed the Cold Equations (thereby paying homage to yet another classic of the genre). The first installment is called The Persistence of Memory and has already inspired heated debate well in advance of its debut on October 30th, with the cover art's inclusion of a certain vain robotics pioneer causing us to reexamine and question the fate of his most successful creation at some length. Meanwhile Mr. Mack did no more than tease with regards to this (or did he?—damn, the man is good), but he did humorously suggest a working title of "A Soong of Ice and Fire" for his latest work.

The official blurb commeth:

And in a development I chose to interpret as a good omen, Simon & Schuster even got their excerpt up in time for our review thread: http://books.simonandschuster.com/S...ld-Equations/David-Mack/9781451650723/excerpt

2. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

The first excerpt, the first inconsistency:
    In 'Zero sum game', a phasing cloaked ship had no problem beaming a breen spy aboard without decloaking (as evidenced by the starfleet sensor readings of the event).
    In 'The persistence of memory', beaming with an active phasing cloak is no longer possible; and you now need a large amount of energy for this cloak (despite Geordi's and Ro's experiences with it in TNG).

I guess the phasing cloak, that lets the romulans get wherever they want inside federation territory (such as the orbit of every inhabited federation world, ready to subject said world to a nuclear holocaust at a moments' notice; or cloaked agents in the presidential office) was belatedly seen as too great an advantage for the romulans; as such, draw-backs are attempted to be established - but they're neither consistent with previous events nor sufficient (by a large margin).

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Very glad to see an excerpt. I'm sure it's no surprise to hear that I'm looking forward to this. :) A Mack novel is always a good bet; three Mack novels is spoiling us. And novels set at the cutting edge of the timeline, too!

I note that Galor IV has wised up regarding the Enterprise. :lol: Planets must live in fear of Star Trek's heroes, keeping their heads down, trying desperately not to attract attention and so become the site of an adventure, or Events of Interest. It's like if Titan cruises into your space - you might as well implode there and then, get it over with. ;) In seriousness, I like the continuity references to Immortal Coil.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I got my copy last week from Dave himself, and I think he did a terrific job. People stereotype him as the action guy, but as with Mere Mortals, TPoM is a solid work of science fiction on a fairly epic, sweeping scale. I liked the way the book resolved and clarified a number of conceptual and continuity questions, fleshed out significant pieces of backstory, and moved the storyline forward in an unexpected way with a lot of new potential.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I'll pick it up when available on iBooks on October 30th.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Read Plagues of Night they didn't beam the spy on board, they did something arguably cooler.

they actually flew the ship through part of the station over where the spy was and used some contraption to bring the guy into phase in the ship.

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just read the excerpt. Very exciting stuff :techman:! More allusions to Picard giving up the center seat, and clarification on Worf's standing in Starfleet's eyes. I can't wait for this to ship! David Mack is the man! C'mon Amazon!!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read the excerpt and really enjoyed it, I can't wait to read the rest.

9. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Way to tease with such an awesome excerpt! ;) Now to eagerly await the release...

10. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Sounds like a winner, cannot wait to read this one:bolian:

11. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I assume the "twenty-five years" reference is an error. That would place the story around 2390.

12. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, that's an error. It should have been simply "twenty years".

13. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Preview looks good. :D

14. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Charging my kindle at this moment so it'll be ready for download, looking forward to this.

15. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thought so! Looking forward to this. Good preview.

16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gaaagh. I really can't afford it, but after reading this preview, I really want to rush out and buy this one...

17. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. That preview is certainly intriguing! I'm really looking forward to this one. David Mack rarely disappoints.

18. trekmom

trekmom Ensign Red Shirt

Can't wait! I'm "back reading" some Voyager novels in the mean time. :) I pre-ordered on Amazon, so when I wake up Tuesday morning I'll have the new book! I remember the olden days when I actually had to drive to a bookstore to get my books... :D

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll end up waiting untill all three are out for the Nook before picking this up.

20. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am really quite tempted to read this out of band (i.e. before I catch up to the continuity) because I'm a sucker for Data/Soong/android/techy stuff and given Christopher's sort-of indication of a high-concept slant to the story ... and ties to Immortal Coil sound promising as well ...