The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If bitten on one of your extremities, you can be saved if the extremity is removed before the infections spreads into the rest of the body. You only have a matter of minutes to accomplish this.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Good point. Daryl was also injured. I didn't think things through when I made my post. I was thinking of that flesh-eating bacteria. A lot of people carry it without getting sick. It's usually when a person's body or immune system is compromised in some way that it becomes a problem.

3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Herschel is actually ahead of the curve. He was already a believer of resurrection of the dead BEFORE this event. Would anyone have believed the current situation even a couple years before it happened? (This is a universe where George A ROmero apparently never made zombie movie)

If something as unbliebavle as mass resurrection happened, how much crazier is it to have hope for a cure?

Shane's decision certainly moved the story line and parallels with fans' frustrations.

He is perhaps right in one sense, but certainly wrong in the attitude and approach.

There is the "reality", but there is also our reaction to that reality. ANd his reactions, IMHO, while understandable, are still wrong.

You're right in that it should have been Shane to have shot her. But like with all self-righteous hypocrites (not just religious ones, but seems like most in today's political debate climate), if "they" are not on your side/have no relationship with them, it's easy to shoot 'em down, and do it with even glee. But someone you care about/on "your side" (whom you have sacrificed for) is just as much a monster as the anonymous one...your reaction is mostlikely going to be different. The compassion that you lacked, the hope & memories of the what that person once was, will change your reaction, and create essentially a double standard. Sophie is just as dangerous as any of the Walkers...but could Shane viciously shoot her down, with her living mom seeing that? There's enough of a conscious to at least hesistate.

Rick, meanwhile, has shot a girl walker before. He didn't like it, but knew he had to do it.

If Hershel had taken Rick's Walker, Rick might have stopped Shane. But since the secret was out, Rick was willing to finish it.

i would hope that Hershel's "mercy" toward Walkers that he knew is a lot more understandable by the group (certainly Carol) than when they were just anonymous monsters.

4. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I realize that but it is much easier to reason or plead your case with someone when you present them with cold hard facts.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rick was trying to negotiate remaining on the farm over Herschel's objections. He probably thought that trying to hit Herschel with "cold hard facts" at that point would have accomplished nothing but getting everyone displaced again.

6. PKerr

I'm talking about the whole time people where on the farm, not just at that moment.

Glenn never said anything like that to Maggie either.

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, well, I think we know what Glenn was trying to negotiate....

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I kept thinking... Please Glenn, don't say the wrong thing or you won't get any. :rommie:

9. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I would be interested, but I am not sure I could stand it.

I hate to think of anything horrible happening to children and seeing her wounded and alone while transitioning would be horrid for me.

But, the ep did make me wonder; how did she get there precisely?

I do not watch the Talking Dead, and learned that Otis put her in the barn from this thread.

It was not a big mental leap, but still...

10. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't get the Otis factoid from the Talking Dead (I don't watch it either) - Herschel says it in the preview of the next episode, shown during Hell on Wheels, when Shane asks how long he knew Sophia was already gone.

11. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Oh okay! Thanks! I can't bear to watch Hell on Wheels even for TWD footage. I watched the first ep and was bored to tears. I enjoyed the theme music but that is all I liked about it.

12. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point, I don't think there's anything on AMC that I don't like! It's a bit embarrassing, actually.

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One does hope that now that we've gotten all the low-budget 'everyone sits around and talks about their feelings' episodes out of the way, that the second half of the season will be a bit more action packed and zombie intensive.
    As someone said earlier, I don't want the show turning into Resident Evil, but at the same time, the sheer number of "We need to talk." moments has really started to wear me down, to the point where I'd started fast-forwarding through the more obvious ones.

Only thing that puzzled me somewhat about the ending was why nobody made an attempt to stop Shane from opening the barn. Also why Hershel didn't react more forcefully once the shooting starts. It was almost as if he expecting things to come down to this, and they were only proving his belief that the group was just a bunch of murderous thugs.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Could be two-pronged:

-Bit of shock after trying to reconcile his belief that they are just sick with having watched Shane put half a dozen slugs into center mass (heart, lungs, etc) of a woman he knew and had it keep coming without flinching.

-Knowing deep down that it was the right thing. that no matter how much he wanted to hold onto his wife, stepson, and neighbors, they really were gone, and had to be dealt with. While they were in the barn and safely locked away, it was just a concept, a mental exercise. Once they were out, time to cut the crap and face reality of the situation.

Since 1 happened before 2, makes pretty good sense that he'd sit there in shock/grief while Shane and company took care of business.

Still don't think the Sophia payoff was worth the amount of time it was dragged out. It was a good end to that part of the story, but could have been handled better/faster. Hell, it's a bit meta, but even the CHARACTERS were getting bored by that plotline ;) While still sad, not as big an emotional payoff as it could have been, either. She had about as many lines Sunday as a zombie as she'd had in the entire series to date (probably doubled her screeen time), so there was almost zero attachment to the character, outside of her impact on the others.

Since we were beat over the head with the search, we knew who the little girl zombie was, but how many people can honestly say they even remembered what she looked like before she staggered out of the barn? If that same zombie had been the 4th one out of the barn instead of last, not sure how many viewers would have noticed until the characters checked the bodies and saw her face...

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I understand that maybe for television/dramatic reasons the 'search for sophia' wasn't ideal. But, I think were I in that situation and able to have a home base (the farm) of relative comfort I'd spend all the free time I could trying to look for that little girl, at least for a couple weeks. That's what I'd like to think, anyway. Maybe it's because I have a young daughter.

16. PKerr

17. Cutter John

One way or another, things are definately going to have to come to a head soon. Whether that involves a Rick/Shane knockdown, dragout, or the group splitting up though is anybodies guess.

The annoying part though is that they both make valid arguments.

Say, does anyone happen to know what part of the state this is supposed to be taking place in? I grew up around the Atlanta area and I don't recall there being many swamps.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^somewhere between Atlanta and Ft. Benning/banning(however it's spelled). Draw a line on a map and follow the roads.

19. Cutter John

D'oh, thats right. I must be having a stupid day. (off to find a map)

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Great midseason finale.

Every character got some good scenes. This was Shane's episode and his rant at the end felt like something the audience wanted to say since the season started with the endless search for Sophia. I felt he was right about the walkers needing to die, but he took the wrong approach by forcing the barn doors opening. Any number of things could have gone horribly wrong and people might have died. I can't believe how stupid he was being, finding out the news about the baby was nothing but bad news for the group.

Sophia coming back completely fine would have been too unbelievable, since even the expert tracker Daryl almost got killed just looking for her.

The missing Sophia plot was dragged out too long. But that last 10 minutes were so intense might have made up for it. I love how each character reacted.