Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

The problem with the current X-Books is that there's a million of them and none of them have much impact on the others.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^That is irrelevant.

There might be a chance with Marts back at Marvel and he is suppose to be Morrison's favorite editor next to Raspler.

3. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I'm rereading Hickman's stuff in trade and just now realized that Smasher's grandpa is Captain Terror instead of Dan Dare. That's weird. I mean it works way better this way, but it's just an odd thing to happen.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually have been wondering what Morrison's status at DC is currently. He is wrapping up "Multiveristy" and "Wonder Woman: Earth One" finally has a publication date, but otherwise I don't recall any further projects unless they plan on announcing anything at SDCC. I'd love him back at Marvel.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Multiversity was written maybe three or four years ago?

6. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

The X-men to me seem to have always had a large role in the Marvel universe. Even in the early 70s when the book was semi-cancelled, a lot of their early villains-Magneto, Juggernaught, Sentinels etc. showed up in Avengers, and even the original X-men themselves showed up on ocassion, although possibly due to the book being in reprints they often showed up wearing their original costumes for some reason-and of course Angel and Iceman were in the Champions for a while and Beast became a prominent Avenger.

7. Hound of UIster

Maybe some of the one shots (such as the one by Quitely), but a lot of the framing story was written after his run on Action Comics. Though undoubtedly he probably had the ideas long ago (like how Final Crisis was spun off from his ideas for Hyper Crisis from the 90s) since Johns/Rucka/Waid were suppose to write the other Multiple Earth books individually to followup on 52 and lead up to to Final Crisis.

Marvel doesn't own Dan Dare and they were probably afraid of potential legal troubles. They pretty much backtracked and denied he was Dan Dare as soon as the issue was out. It's typical of that bungling from Tom Brevoort's editorial office.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  8. JoeZhang

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes "Multiversity" was originally announced around 2009/2010 at SDCC...however the project has been tweeaked and adjusted over the years. The main bulk of the concept though was probably formed when it was first announced.

That wasn't my point though in my original post, my point was that it's almost done now (as in out/published) and so will "Wonder Woman: Earth One" in November. We know nothing of anything else he might be doing and given the fact that DiDio doesn't really agree with his takes on their characters I've often wondered what the status of his current contract is with DC.

10. Hound of UIster

Didio is no longer the EiC of DC. He is the publisher. The "takes" on the character is below his payscale and probably left to Harras (who is pretty much neutered currently) so that would probably degrade to the current line editors.

Though the only thing that I know Morrison wants from DC is apparently the writing job for Flash. Who knows if they'll give it to him. It's a toss up for Cunningham who is in charge of that line.
    1) The stuff with the transmat cubes in Multiversity is taken from his run on Action Comics. And more importantly the Map of the Multiverse issue references a lot of Nu52 so I think like Hyper-crisis he had the major strokes of the story years ago, but actually creating the scripts were done piecemeal. For example Thunderworld was done around early 2013.

Edit: 2) There is also the fact that Multiversity kept getting pushed back due to various issues. 2009-10 iirc was due to Morrison working on Batman Inc and Quitely having health problems (I think it was back problems?). Then later you had issues with DC's sales and moving DC to Burbank (around the time of FP) and WB playing a more interventionist hand at DC that lead to stuff such as FP and Nu52.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone know why Sabretooth is an Avenger in the new Avengers: Rage of Ultron graphic novel?

12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Probably to do with the recent Axis crossover. Certain characters had their personalities inverted, turning goodies into baddies and baddies into goodies etc. Sabretooth was one of the characters whose changes stuck, so now he's basically an ersatz Wolverine.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Havok, Sabretooth and Iron Man still have inverted moral compasses.

Although The most recent issue of Uncanny X-men was a conversation/heart to heart between Scott and Alex, and Alex didn't seem so much like he was twirling his moustache, although maybe Alex's "evil" is subtle or Bendis is giving the finger to editorial, or is he Emperors new clothes, or is this story still taking place before the Axis?

14. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Both Havok and frequent girlfriend Polaris have been on both sides (mainly due to mind control, memory wipes or some other factor).

15. Guy Gardener

Alex was so close already to the line between good and evil, that one inch either side of it basically the same thing?

Falcon, I mean Captain America was half a mile from the line.

Doctor Doom was 40 miles from the line between good and evil.

16. Hound of UIster

Axis crossover after the Red Skull/Onslaught messed with his mind.

17. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really enjoyed Rage of Ultron. :)

18. Guy Gardener

Laid on thick, but yes enjoyable, even though the ending was off.

Nice callback to Katie though.

It was weird reading that back to back with Infinite Avengers.

Two Thors, sweeet, but why on Earth would anyone pick that version of the Hulk to send to war.

Kang has two children taken from Marvel Heroes.

The daughter of and X-Man and an Avenger, as well as an inhuman prince who's mother was in the Fantastic Four.

Kang is going to trick them into making babies, and those babies are going to be the corner stone to some insane plot to take over the 21st century.

Yup.

19. JoeZhang

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...tron-twist-the-x-mens-post-secret-wars-future

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, thanks for posting that clarification. I guess they must have just meant that the books will be more unified with each other.